News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History exam for 16 year olds in 1968

Started by Brazen, July 15, 2011, 04:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on July 16, 2011, 04:42:04 PM

I'll ask her what was the general age range of the people who set examinations.
[/mongers]
I don't have a point, so I will just make an ass out of myself by pretending that I don't know that the default pronoun in English is the male one
[/mongers]

While you are at it, ask her if she considers herself to have retired, or merely resigned.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on July 16, 2011, 05:43:08 PM

[/mongers]
I don't have a point, so I will just make an ass out of myself by pretending that I don't know that the default pronoun in English is the male one
[/mongers]

While you are at it, ask her if she considers herself to have retired, or merely resigned.

Excellent, further typical gRumbler tactics, attack the man rather than the ball.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 16, 2011, 05:39:59 PM
There is an hour for each question in the special paper; the expectation would be for an essay of 1000 - 1500 words for each answer. A good mark would require a good essay. Any bloody fool could have a stab at answering the questions badly, to answer them well strikes me as being a significant challenge.
We don't know what the marking criteria are, but I would bet they are not unlike those for AP history exams that I teach:
(1) Complete, clear, and relevant thesis
(2) Topic sentences that support the thesis
(3) Specific accurate details that support the arguments in the topic sentences (with some attention paid to the reliability of the sources of that information)
(4) Analysis the demonstrates the applicability of the details and examples
(5) A conclusion that reiterates the thesis, summarizes the evidence, and uses an exit strategy that mirrors the introductory strategy

Plus bonuses for exceptional use of language, more complex thesis statements or introductory strategies,  or more details than the minimum, and the like.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on July 16, 2011, 05:45:52 PM
Excellent, further typical gRumbler tactics, attack the man rather than the ball.   :)
:lmfao:  Aw, is the baby gonna cry when his own tactics are used against him?

MoNgErS, if you don't want the discussion to go into the gutter, don't go there yourself.  I don't start these mOnGeRs-like exchanges, but I'll go down that path if you insist.  You will lose in any battle of wits, as always, but the peanut gallery will get some amusement and popcorn sales will skyrocket.

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on July 16, 2011, 05:59:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 16, 2011, 05:45:52 PM
:lmfao:  Aw, is the baby gonna cry when his own tactics are used against him?

MoNgErS, if you don't want the discussion to go into the gutter, don't go there yourself.  I don't start these mOnGeRs-like exchanges, but I'll go down that path if you insist.  You will lose in any battle of wits, as always, but the peanut gallery will get some amusement and popcorn sales will skyrocket.

Do carry on, you amuse me and no doubt others here, by the way the odd capitalisation is a tactic I recall you were first to start on this forum.

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on July 16, 2011, 05:43:08 PM

[/mongers]
[/mongers]

In ten years, it'll be "they."  This is as it should be.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2011, 06:53:02 PMIn ten years, it'll be "they."  This is as it should be.

:bleeding:

in 9th grade they told us to use "him or her", and i was all fuck that

alfred russel

:bleeding: is right. Plural pronouns for individuals are awful.

I've noticed a lot of publications have been mixing in some female pronouns when the gender is unknown, and I do that too. The rule to use masculine is certainly fading. If I'm writing something official, I'll refer to both: "him or her."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on July 16, 2011, 11:08:03 PM
:bleeding: is right. Plural pronouns for individuals are awful.

Yeah, like "you." ;)

QuoteI've noticed a lot of publications have been mixing in some female pronouns when the gender is unknown, and I do that too. The rule to use masculine is certainly fading. If I'm writing something official, I'll refer to both: "him or her."

That's far worse, really overly complicated, and the use of "she" by itself calls attention to itself, and some readers will stop and think there's a specific referent, interrupting their train of thought.  So, since we need a gender neutral pronoun, and the only one that isn't alien and unnatural ("thon") is "they."

My law school text authors think they're being really clever and progressive by occasionally using "she" as an anonymous pronoun, but they're not, they're a pack of linguistic paleoconservatives who have not realized that the language has already changed.  "They" is used widely in everyday speech and written communications, and increasingly in official or formal settings.

A little lexical shift never hurt anyone, grandpa. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

I use "she" on occasion as the generic pronoun, but try to indicate that it's generic in earlier parts of the text. For example:

"When the reader comes across a pronoun, she may think it refers to a specific person rather than to a general person unless she sees something to indicate otherwise."

Alternately, you could write to minimize the use of generic pronouns. For example:

"Poor use of pronouns runs the risk of confusing the reader as to whether the text refers to a general person or someone specific."

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 16, 2011, 05:55:51 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 16, 2011, 05:39:59 PM
There is an hour for each question in the special paper; the expectation would be for an essay of 1000 - 1500 words for each answer. A good mark would require a good essay. Any bloody fool could have a stab at answering the questions badly, to answer them well strikes me as being a significant challenge.
We don't know what the marking criteria are, but I would bet they are not unlike those for AP history exams that I teach:
(1) Complete, clear, and relevant thesis
(2) Topic sentences that support the thesis
(3) Specific accurate details that support the arguments in the topic sentences (with some attention paid to the reliability of the sources of that information)
(4) Analysis the demonstrates the applicability of the details and examples
(5) A conclusion that reiterates the thesis, summarizes the evidence, and uses an exit strategy that mirrors the introductory strategy

Plus bonuses for exceptional use of language, more complex thesis statements or introductory strategies,  or more details than the minimum, and the like.

That must be the standard, cause that's how I was taught to write.  As you see, I ignore them here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on July 16, 2011, 04:09:39 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 16, 2011, 03:39:53 PM
Exactly.

What's the sound of one hand fapping?

This question is reminiscent of traditional Buddhist philosophical riddles, such as "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" or "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

In the Zen tradition, these questions are often pondered for extended periods of time through meditation after being presented by a master. The meditation is frequently done with the body placed into seated into a certain form, such as the lotus position. The Zen master will inquire as to the progress in solving the riddle presented. The Zen master will determine if the progress is sufficient, or if the riddle requires further contemplation. Certain riddles may be contemplated for a period of years.

Zen Buddhism developed in the Far East and flourished in the period following the Warring States Period in China. With the reduction in violence within China, and the subsequent increase in trade and population, there was a surplus of men that in previous times had entered military service. Zen Buddhism was patronized by the Chinese government so that these men would spend their lives contemplating unanswerable riddles rather than formenting violence. This contemplation had the further benefit of preventing their reproduction. This is not unlike the effect of modern day video games, such as World of Warcraft.

The question "what is the sound of one hand fapping" has altered the traditional riddle to incorporate a reference to masturbation. This altered riddle was posted on a message board that arose from modern day video games, and is a symptom of the sexual frustration of their patrons.

I never masturbate. It's a legitimate question.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Quote from: grumbler on July 16, 2011, 08:58:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2011, 01:01:13 PM
My point was that you didn't answer the question.
He didn't answer any of the questions.  I don't think his responses were meant as anything but humor.

I hope not, anyway.

We've got a winner.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2011, 02:52:39 PM
Can anyone explain the Runnymede/JFK one to me?  Don't get that one at all either.

Easy. The connection is through the Magna Carta and the development of the notions of political freedom as requiring constitutional guarantees. 

The thesis might be something like 'the selection of Runnymede is supremely appropriate for the proposed memorial to JFK because it represents symbolically the origin of the shared anglo-american tradition of constitutional guarantees of freedom, a tradition which JFK exemplified' or somesuch. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

iirc JFK actually name checked Magna Carta in one of his major speeches ?