News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History exam for 16 year olds in 1968

Started by Brazen, July 15, 2011, 04:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2011, 12:37:57 PM
GF thinks there was no religion in history.  Blame the godless commie Canadian education system.

Curé Labelle disagress with you!

I'm just saying it's more a philosophycal question more then an history question.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: Brazen on July 15, 2011, 04:24:27 AM1. 'The custodian of the social memory.' Consider this definition of the historian

I will consider it.  Unfortunately, you have neither asked a question nor directed a response, so any thoughts I have on the subject would seem inappropriate here.

Quote2. Is a dictator necessarily a tyrant?

Since the words refer to two completely separate types of leader from two separate peoples and forms of government, I suspect the answer to be "no."

Quote3. How would you justify the selection of Runnymede as a site for the British memorial to President Kennedy?

I refuse to believe that's a name of a real place.  It sounds disgusting.

Quote4. 'Saxon, Norman and Dane are we.' Discuss the contribution of each to the English race

They had sex with Celts.

Quote5. Examine the case for and against televising proceedings in Parliament.

For: why the fuck wouldn't you?  Against: it's insanely boring.

Quote6. Illustrate the value to the historian of either court records or place names

You want me to draw you a picture?  Might as well, since describing something so obvious would be a complete waste of both our times.

Quote7. Contrast the civilizations of Greece and Rome

Weak disunited slave-driven shithole versus a powerful, united, but ultimately corrupt slave-driven shithole.

Quote8. Why did the ascetic ideal appeal so strongly to medieval man?

In a nutshell, medieval man was stupid.  And the prospect of sex with the average medieval woman was, perhaps, unappetizing.

Quote9. 'Fashion is transient, craftsmanship is permanent.' Discuss

This is a profoundly vapid request that insults us both.

Quote10. What should be the functions of a trade union in present-day Britain?

To obtain higher salaries for educators, of course.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

You talk big Ide, but we all know that your answer to all points would be a passionate pro-Stalin rant.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

But seriously, only about five of those questions are remotely acceptable as history exam questions, and only about three are interesting.

Is there a non-cliched way to answer either 1 or 2, for example?  Actually, given this is 1968, Brain may be closer to the truth than he realizes, since it looks well-designed as a method to weed out communists.  "Well, there was Lenin..."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

What's the cliched way of answering #2?

I don't even know what #1 means.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Drakken on July 15, 2011, 10:06:05 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 15, 2011, 09:45:59 AM
I time travel.

My power glove lets me.
<----

Then you have the only working Power Glove ever made, because the rest is so bad, it wouldn't even allow me to play the damn games.

The customer service rep in the video game section at my local Best Buy wears his Power Glove in the store on Saturdays.  That makes him: Subject Matter Expert.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 15, 2011, 03:20:16 PM
Is there a non-cliched way to answer either 1 or 2, for example?  Actually, given this is 1968, Brain may be closer to the truth than he realizes, since it looks well-designed as a method to weed out communists.  "Well, there was Lenin..."

Lots of Plato and Aristotle, toss in some Shakespeare for flavor.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2011, 06:46:36 PM
What's the cliched way of answering #2?

I don't even know what #1 means.

Absolute power always corrupts absolutely, removal of rule of law is an evil in itself, etc.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Drakken on July 15, 2011, 10:07:05 AM
Quote from: Brazen on July 15, 2011, 04:39:49 AM
Having said that, the modern equivalent looks pretty daunting to me. But then I know nothing about history!

QuoteExplain why Clemenceau wanted the Treaty of Versailles to be so harsh on Germany.
Explain why the Weimar republic faced opposition between 1919 and 1923.
Explain why women were an important part of Hitler's plans for German.
Explain why Hitler wanted to take over Czechoslovakia.
Explain why the Soviet Union blockaded Berlin in 1948.
Explain why the USA became involved in Vietnam.

It's because you know nothing about history, I agree with you. Most here can answer all of them - except maybe Tim.  :console:

I must have imagined my History degree. :rolleyes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I don't remember the specific reason Berlin was blockaded, nor the specific reasoning behind the occupation of Czechoslovakia, and don't know shit about the early Weimar Republic.
Kinemalogue

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on July 15, 2011, 11:30:46 PM
I don't remember the specific reason Berlin was blockaded, nor the specific reasoning behind the occupation of Czechoslovakia, and don't know shit about the early Weimar Republic.

Sex, drugs, and jazz.  :smoke:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 15, 2011, 11:30:46 PM
I don't remember the specific reason Berlin was blockaded, nor the specific reasoning behind the occupation of Czechoslovakia,
In response to the merging of the American & British occupation zones and plans to form W. Germany.

The annexation of the Sudetenland and Bohemia which was a traditionally German land in Hitler's view.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Good book on the Berlin blockade is The Candy Bombers.  Author describes the airlift as America's greatest moment and I might be inclined to agree.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2011, 01:01:13 PM
My point was that you didn't answer the question.
He didn't answer any of the questions.  I don't think his responses were meant as anything but humor.

I hope not, anyway.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on July 15, 2011, 04:39:49 AM
Having said that, the modern equivalent looks pretty daunting to me. But then I know nothing about history!

QuoteExplain why Clemenceau wanted the Treaty of Versailles to be so harsh on Germany.
Explain why the Weimar republic faced opposition between 1919 and 1923.
Explain why women were an important part of Hitler's plans for German.
Explain why Hitler wanted to take over Czechoslovakia.
Explain why the Soviet Union blockaded Berlin in 1948.
Explain why the USA became involved in Vietnam.
The 1968 questions were much better-written.  Interesting that the people who took the 1968 test were so crap at creating the 2011 test.  It is clear that the 1968 test, well-written as it was, weeded out the wrong people.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!