History exam for 16 year olds in 1968

Started by Brazen, July 15, 2011, 04:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 15, 2011, 08:28:14 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 15, 2011, 08:23:26 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 15, 2011, 05:48:43 AM
I don't know what an ascetic ideal is :(

The notion that people should deprive themselves of good things in order to please god. More or less.

History, my ass!

Oddly enough, those two were not among the good things that medieval monks would have deprived themselves.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 15, 2011, 08:29:45 AM
Quote7. Contrast the civilizations of Greece and Rome

Fags and according to the movie Caligula, fisting.
Caligula was released after 1968, IIRC.  Couldn't be included as reference in their history exam of '68.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: Brazen on July 15, 2011, 04:24:27 AM

QuoteUniversity of London

1. 'The custodian of the social memory.' Consider this definition of the historian

2. Is a dictator necessarily a tyrant?

3. How would you justify the selection of Runnymede as a site for the British memorial to President Kennedy?

4. 'Saxon, Norman and Dane are we.' Discuss the contribution of each to the English race

5. Examine the case for and against televising proceedings in Parliament.

6. Illustrate the value to the historian of either court records or place names

7. Contrast the civilizations of Greece and Rome

8. Why did the ascetic ideal appeal so strongly to medieval man?

9. 'Fashion is transient, craftsmanship is permanent.' Discuss

10. What should be the functions of a trade union in present-day Britain?

Of these 10, I think I have something to say about 2 and 5.  I don't know much about 1, 6, 9 and 10, but I think I can score better than zero on these.  I know absolutely nothing about 3, 4, 7 and 8.

Ed Anger

Quote from: viper37 on July 15, 2011, 09:33:12 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 15, 2011, 08:29:45 AM
Quote7. Contrast the civilizations of Greece and Rome

Fags and according to the movie Caligula, fisting.
Caligula was released after 1968, IIRC.  Couldn't be included as reference in their history exam of '68.

I time travel.

My power glove lets me.
<----
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Drakken

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 15, 2011, 09:45:59 AM
I time travel.

My power glove lets me.
<----

Then you have the only working Power Glove ever made, because the rest is so bad, it wouldn't even allow me to play the damn games.

Drakken

Quote from: Brazen on July 15, 2011, 04:39:49 AM
Having said that, the modern equivalent looks pretty daunting to me. But then I know nothing about history!

QuoteExplain why Clemenceau wanted the Treaty of Versailles to be so harsh on Germany.
Explain why the Weimar republic faced opposition between 1919 and 1923.
Explain why women were an important part of Hitler's plans for German.
Explain why Hitler wanted to take over Czechoslovakia.
Explain why the Soviet Union blockaded Berlin in 1948.
Explain why the USA became involved in Vietnam.

It's because you know nothing about history, I agree with you. Most here can answer all of them - except maybe Tim.  :console:

1. Because France lost so many of its boys and its infrastructure on the Western front that they never, ever, ever wanted to face a dangerous Germany again... and press into their teutonic faces like sore winners, not necessarily in that order.

2. Because it signed the Versailles Treaty and the German people were sore losers as well, even when starving and later using buckets to transport the millions of Reichmark needed to pay for their bread and coal.

3. To make pure Aryan babies like machines and take care of the hearth back home while their husbands murdered Bolsheviks and Jews for the Vaterland.

4. Because he wanted Czechoslovakia, piece by piece if needed, and because his chummies Neville, Benito, and Edouard told him he could if he shows himself reasonable in not eating the whole cake, but just a little piece of cake. Adolf didn't listen, so gulp gulp.

5. To kick the capitalist occupiers out of their Berlin sectors, so Stalin could have it all three years after having sent waves of armed peasants die by the tens of thousands in its alleyways to finally overtake it.

6. Because they didn't want the South Vietnamese to catch political rabies and take a liking to it enough to infect the rest of their neighbors like rabid zombies. Because we all know what it could lead to in Laos and "Pol-potoria", but that would be hindsight and teleologism.

Grey Fox

I just wonder what wass Hitler's Plan for German.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 15, 2011, 10:13:27 AM
I just wonder what wass Hitler's Plan for German.

To have her name changed to Herman.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on July 15, 2011, 10:07:05 AM
4. Because he wanted Czechoslovakia, piece by piece if needed, and because his chummies Neville, Benito, and Edouard told him he could if he shows himself reasonable in not eating the whole cake, but just a little piece of cake. Adolf didn't listen, so gulp gulp.

He wanted to take over it because he wanted it? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Drakken

Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2011, 12:32:06 PM

Yeah. I count annexation without regard for law, treaties, and the opinion of the international community as "because I want it."

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 15, 2011, 08:28:14 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 15, 2011, 08:23:26 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 15, 2011, 05:48:43 AM
I don't know what an ascetic ideal is :(

The notion that people should deprive themselves of good things in order to please god. More or less.

History, my ass!

?

Think flagellation scene in Seventh Seal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

GF thinks there was no religion in history.  Blame the godless commie Canadian education system.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on July 15, 2011, 12:34:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2011, 12:32:06 PM

Yeah. I count annexation without regard for law, treaties, and the opinion of the international community as "because I want it."

My point was that you didn't answer the question.