News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Netfux

Started by CountDeMoney, July 14, 2011, 06:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Sounds like the name of a gas station.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

I think Netflix has jumped the shark.

Eddie Teach

I miss having a real world video store half a mile away.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

BuddhaRhubarb

some video stores are doing fine, like mine. We are the last man standing as it were, in Vancouver.  our business is actually picking up rather than being decimated by netflix (which has a craptastic selection, btw at least in Canada. My Mubi page has a better free section, or open cuture, youtube is getting there.) ..... people still come to our store in good numbers especially on rainy weekends.

Video store are the new record stores. The really good ones never went away, and these days are doing decent enough business to be slighly less misty eyed about how busy it was back in tha day.

:p

DGuller

I just looked at Netlix's stock price history for the last 12 months. :XD:  Let's savor this moment, I think we're living through one of those business blunder moments that are forever recounted afterwards.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on September 19, 2011, 12:00:20 PM
I just looked at Netlix's stock price history for the last 12 months. :XD:  Let's savor this moment, I think we're living through one of those business blunder moments that are forever recounted afterwards.

It's a good idea to seperate tho. It'll be cheaper for netflix now that the dvd-only crowd won't count towards the streaming liscensing deals.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 19, 2011, 11:20:40 AM
-snip-
Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores
-snip-

Qwikster?  :bleeding:

:lmfao:  Way to make your case there, buddy, calling a company that managed to bankrupt itself "great."
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 19, 2011, 02:19:12 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 19, 2011, 11:20:40 AM
-snip-
Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores
-snip-

Qwikster?  :bleeding:

:lmfao:  Way to make your case there, buddy, calling a company that managed to bankrupt itself "great."
Way to miss the point he was making.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on September 19, 2011, 02:56:50 PM
Way to miss the point he was making.

I got it.  It was still a piss-poor analogy.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Something I don't know:  If I were to get Netlix could I stream it my PC?  I don't have a Wii or other console.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on September 19, 2011, 04:25:40 PM
Something I don't know:  If I were to get Netlix could I stream it my PC?  I don't have a Wii or other console.

Yes you can.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2011, 04:26:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 19, 2011, 04:25:40 PM

Yes you can.

I may sign up then.  I never did before, cause I didn't want to mess with mailing stuff around and didn't own a console.  Perhaps I shall purchase a subscription.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Or maybe not.  The site is not working right.

Admiral Yi

Netflix's unforgiveable mistake was to give existing customers of their mail delivery business the streaming side for free.  If they had announce that they were introducing a new streaming service that was going to end up costing as much as mail, but you had the great good fortune to get a X month free trial subscription, they would not be in the jam they are now.