And we're back!

Main Menu

Netfux

Started by CountDeMoney, July 14, 2011, 06:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Habbaku on September 20, 2011, 12:39:07 PM
So, time to buy?

Really could be, I dunno. I'd prefer to let it prove it can go up a bit first.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

While I did cancel my sub when they cranked up prices, I can't really fault them for doing so. Everything he said in that letter is pretty much true. The two businesses are very different from one another, and they almost certainly needed to be decoupled.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Berkut on September 20, 2011, 03:37:30 PM
While I did cancel my sub when they cranked up prices, I can't really fault them for doing so. Everything he said in that letter is pretty much true. The two businesses are very different from one another, and they almost certainly needed to be decoupled.

I don't think I've heard anyone seriously arguing that the split itself shouldn't have been a net positive for the company- the bitching seems more about how badly things have been handled prior to and during this split.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

I don't really see the point of a split. There are plenty of companies that offer multiple products. If the dvd-by-mail option is no longer profitable they should just shut it down. As for breaking up the bundle pricing, the bitching actually is more about the price going up than the company's "handling".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

GF's point about the content costs probably has the most to do with it.

AnchorClanker

I love my Roku / Netflix-on-Demand setup, and I get a fair amount of use out of it.
No TV, haven't had it in years, but it's nice to be able to search for movies and TV series and watch it WHEN I WANT TO.
Totally worth the sticker price.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

crazy canuck

Most of the "tv" our family watches in through Netflicks now.  Everyone can watch what they want when they want on the tvs, computers or laptops.

If we want to get new stuff that isnt on Netflicks we can watch it by buying that show on video on demand through our digital TV provider or by DVRing a show.

Does anyone actually watch live TV anymore?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 20, 2011, 04:52:15 PM
I love my Roku / Netflix-on-Demand setup, and I get a fair amount of use out of it.
No TV, haven't had it in years, but it's nice to be able to search for movies and TV series and watch it WHEN I WANT TO.
Totally worth the sticker price.
:yes: We no longer have cable, just netflix.  Got a laptop with a VGA+audio cable connected to the bigscreen TV downstairs.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2011, 05:26:25 PM

How else am I going to get an immediate ticket on the Sue Sylvester Express, destination: horror?

FunkMonk

The only reason I have it, and will continue to have it even after I move back to Texas, is so I can watch soccer. If it weren't for that, I'd be cheesing it with the rest of you guys.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

I watch a lot of shows a couple days/weeks after they air on Comcast On Demand. Don't want to wait 'til end of season though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Most of the "tv" our family watches in through Netflicks now.  Everyone can watch what they want when they want on the tvs, computers or laptops.

If we want to get new stuff that isnt on Netflicks we can watch it by buying that show on video on demand through our digital TV provider or by DVRing a show.

Little thing called live sports makes cable TV still necessary for me. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

Somebody gonna make millions playing live sports on the web.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadImmortalMan

Looks like Qwikster is over before it began. The reaction to the thing was so bad they decided to scrap the splitting idea.