Wargame question: Which do you prefer, tactical or strategic?

Started by Razgovory, July 14, 2011, 12:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer, tactical or strategic

Tactical
3 (10.7%)
Strategic
25 (89.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Razgovory

I could have started this in the games forum, but I didn't want to.  It smells in there.  For the purpose of the this poll tactical is commanding individuals to companies.  For Strategic it's regiments on up.  Battalions can go either way.  I don't know much about sea or air combat, so do whatever you feel for those.  For the purposes of this poll most RTS probably should be considered tactical since you don't actually command a lot of soldiers.  Though RTS games like EU3 and the like should probably be considered Strategic.  So you'll have to make your own judgement on some of these.

Examples:
Combat Mission series, tactical turn based.
Starcraft series, tactical real time

War in the Pacific, Strategic turn based
Hearts of Iron 3, Strategic real time.

Some don't fit exactly, one my favorites is a game called Sid Meier's Gettysburg! which I consider tactical despite the smallest unit used is a regiment.  So you'll have to decide for yourself on some.  All my examples are PC games, but that's simply because I don't play a lot of board games, of course board games still count.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

I would argue that any game where the primary component is the tactical disposition of resources with limited or no focus on production is a game of tactics rather than strategy regardless of whether the resource is a platoon or a division.

Panzer General is a tactical game, so is Chess, Go and Diplomacy.

A game where the primary component is the strategic allocation of resources and production and where the tactical is secondary or nonexistant would obviously be a strategy game.

Europa Universalis, World in Flames, Risk.

As for the thread question: Yes, no, maybe, both.

LaCroix

i don't think i'd put diplomacy under tactical

starcraft can be strategical or tactical, depending on the map. bull run or gettysburg would fall under the latter, while acw3 fits the former. a map like civil war: campaign virginia, which runs similar to a total war game, could fit both depending on which mode is currently active

to answer the question, it depends :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: LaCroix on July 14, 2011, 01:30:59 AM
i don't think i'd put diplomacy under tactical

starcraft can be strategical or tactical, depending on the map. bull run or gettysburg would fall under the latter, while acw3 fits the former. a map like civil war: campaign virginia, which runs similar to a total war game, could fit both depending on which mode is currently active

to answer the question, it depends :P

Diplomacy is iffy, granted, since while the core component of the game is the tactical dispotition of resources it also heavily features deception and cooperation in order to achieve your goals. I would lean on the side of considering these tools tactical in nature aswell.

IMO, the nature of a game is determined not by the scope, but of the tools involved.

11B4V

No love for Operational level????

I prefer tacical with the choices you gave. I prefer Operational, tactical, then strat.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on July 14, 2011, 04:35:03 AM
No love for Operational level????

That's the best type!

Quoteprefer tacical with the choices you gave. I prefer Operational, tactical, then strat.

Ditto.  I miss making Germans scream with flamethrowers in the Close Combat series.  :(

Admiral Yi

Siege

How many close combat games are out there?
Five, right?
Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy was the last one...

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Ideologue

I guess operational, then strategic.  I don't especially like tactical games, as I prefer to define objectives and allocate enough resources to achieve them, as opposed to being given the resources some game designer or history said was mine.  Although to be honest I haven't played any wargame in a while.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martim Silva

Definitely strategic.

I am very much attracted to the aspect of actually controlling a nation, so I like to get to control everything, in particular politics and economics. I love to determine production lines and the conquest/allocation of resources.

Because, let's face it, THAT is where wars are won or lost. The battlefields are just an afterthought.

I am especially attracted to games where I just tell my generals to go places and then get the reports on how they fared (it also helps when dueling with an AI, as it negates my human tactical advantage vs. a program).

If that's not possible, I prefer Operational. Controlling Army Groups or armies to the seizure of important cities and regions that lead to the defeat of the enemy. Very good.

Least satisfying are tactical games. I do play them, but I am less interested in the outcome of the storming of a village hut by sgt. Z's squad, or if sgt. T's tank will manage to hit that tank down the road.

(Combat Mission 2 games are very good, but I find them to become annoying. Especially whem my entire PAK-front spends several turns firing like mad to barely scratch the painting of the advancing German armour. And then get blown to bits. FRUSTRATION!)

Josephus

Generally speaking strategic. But I did like the Combat Mission series.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Solmyr

Strategic. I prefer games like EU and Civ to FPSs and RTSs.