Pastafarian wins right to wear strainer in driving licence photo

Started by Brazen, July 13, 2011, 09:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

dps

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2011, 01:20:52 PM
Your problem is that I asked you what is known as a "rhetorical question", to demonstrate why you are wrong. This is not arguing in "bad faith". I know full well you don't actually believe in Islam. I did not expect you to agree that you did. I expected that you would re-evaluate your argument

What an unrealistic expectation!  I can count the regular posters here who would re-evaluate their arguments in the face of logic on 1 hand, and Viking ain't one of 'em.   ;)

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2011, 10:41:49 AM
Quote from: Brazen on July 13, 2011, 09:22:03 AM
Austrian driver's religious headgear strains credulity

An Austrian atheist has won the right to be shown on his driving-licence photo wearing a pasta strainer as "religious headgear".

Niko Alm first applied for the licence three years ago after reading that headgear was allowed in official pictures only for confessional reasons.

Mr Alm said the sieve was a requirement of his religion, pastafarianism.

The government should get the last laugh, and *require* him to wear his "religiously mandated headgear" at all times in public.  :contract:

Last time they tried to get all Jews wear a mark at all times in public and all the world jumped on them. So they are probably wary this time.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2011, 11:03:43 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 13, 2011, 10:44:56 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 13, 2011, 10:38:01 AM
Pastafarians and Discordians annoy me far more than any fundamentalist Christian.

Stop giving concessions to real religions & fake religions won't have to make ridiculous points.

The amusing thing is the notion that the sort of trollery represented by the guy in the article is going to convince anyone of anything. Like an Orthodox Jew or a committed Sikh is going to suddenly exclaim 'oh my, this guy looks like a real jerk wearing a strainer on his head and is mocking me for fun. Why, I must be dead wrong about my beliefs!  :hmm: '

This sort of thinking is almost as much fantasy as religion.  ;)

It's not the purpose of stuff like this. Rather, it is about convincing the general (largely secular in the EU) public that allowing cretins like an Orthodox Jew or a committed Sikh to have their way and flaunt the general rules is equally silly as allowing the Pastafarian to do so.

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on July 13, 2011, 11:55:11 AM
"militant" atheists annoy me. at least religious people just go about their lives not trying to show you up about how wrong you are.
Are you seriously trying to say that the religious people are not trying to affect the lives of non-believers? Seriously??? From anti-abortion laws to opposition to gay marriage to teaching creationism at schools, the religious are constantly trying to shove their idiocy down everyone else's throats. Seriously, what world do you live in???

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on July 13, 2011, 02:26:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2011, 10:41:49 AM
Quote from: Brazen on July 13, 2011, 09:22:03 AM
Austrian driver's religious headgear strains credulity

An Austrian atheist has won the right to be shown on his driving-licence photo wearing a pasta strainer as "religious headgear".

Niko Alm first applied for the licence three years ago after reading that headgear was allowed in official pictures only for confessional reasons.

Mr Alm said the sieve was a requirement of his religion, pastafarianism.

The government should get the last laugh, and *require* him to wear his "religiously mandated headgear" at all times in public.  :contract:

Last time they tried to get all Jews wear a mark at all times in public and all the world jumped on them. So they are probably wary this time.

If they persecuted the pastafarians, and no-one else, it would be funny.  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

There are probably more pastafarians in Austria now than Jews. So persecuting silly people wearing extra long locks and silly hats would be equally funny. And Poland already has facilities.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on July 13, 2011, 02:28:35 PM
It's not the purpose of stuff like this. Rather, it is about convincing the general (largely secular in the EU) public that allowing cretins like an Orthodox Jew or a committed Sikh to have their way and flaunt the general rules is equally silly as allowing the Pastafarian to do so.

Equally fantasy thinking. Except for the very dumbest, most people can figure out the difference between a sincerely held belief and the parody of one.

What most will get out of a stunt like this is that this guy is an attention whore.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on July 13, 2011, 02:34:41 PM
There are probably more pastafarians in Austria now than Jews. So persecuting silly people wearing extra long locks and silly hats would be equally funny. And Poland already has facilities.

Naw, persecuting self-declared "pastafarians" has humour possibilities that the same-old, same-old persecution of Jews lacks.  :D

The Brain

To show sincere religious beliefs you have to organize a global pedophile ring. Don't ask me why, I don't get it either.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on July 13, 2011, 02:31:53 PM
"militant" atheists annoy me. at least religious people just go about their lives not trying to show you up about how wrong you are.
Are you seriously trying to say that the religious people are not trying to affect the lives of non-believers? Seriously??? From anti-abortion laws to opposition to gay marriage to teaching creationism at schools, the religious are constantly trying to shove their idiocy down everyone else's throats. Seriously, what world do you live in???

But if you pass a law that means they can't wear their special hats, they'll obviously stop trying to influence abortion laws, gay marriage laws and the teaching of creationism in school?

Not that the religious people who push the strongest for such things are wearing special religious hats.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 13, 2011, 03:50:20 PM
Not that the religious people who push the strongest for such things are wearing special religious hats.

True, dat.  The only "special religious hats" people that come to mind are sikhs and observant jews.  Neither group seems terribly interested in pushing their beliefs on others, and only want to be able to do their own thing in peace.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2011, 11:25:25 AM
How can it be a "strawman" if it is the argument he's actually, you know, making?

Please *do* try to keep up.
I'm having no problem keeping up with the fact that the quotes you are arguing against are made up by you, not by him. 

It is most entertaining.  The fact that you insist, even using underlining for some weird reason, that he is making them when it is obvious they are yours makes it even funnier.

*pops even more popcrn*
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Don't believe in god? i get it. but how does some dude wearing his turban in photo's effect you to the point that you have to become and ass about it.
It isn't clear to me to whom you are directing this question.  Pretty much everyone disbelieves in at least one god.  People who disbelieve in some gods but believe in others tend to be the people who are asses about it, what with killing people over which ones should be believed in and which shouldn't.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!