Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2011, 11:23:49 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 13, 2011, 11:16:44 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2011, 11:15:01 AM
Just answer the question.

Define the question.

The one I asked in a previous post.

"You believe in memes?" 

Just answer it the best you can.  Then I will insult you and denigrate you.

1 - it is not phrased as a question. Grammar fail.
2 - which of the many meanings of believe are you using?
3 - what is your definition of meme?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Why so careful?  Do you really believe that people who believe in the pseudoscience of memes are different then people who believe in religion?  At least religion doesn't try to pass itself off as science.  That some how their belief in something that is not falsifiable is different the other peoples beliefs that are not falsifiable?  They are just as irrational as that ninja rabbi.  That's okay, most people are irrational.  Often in ways they don't even know, such as illusion of control.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2011, 11:42:37 AM
Why so careful?  Do you really believe that people who believe in the pseudoscience of memes are different then people who believe in religion?  At least religion doesn't try to pass itself off as science.  That some how their belief in something that is not falsifiable is different the other peoples beliefs that are not falsifiable?  They are just as irrational as that ninja rabbi.  That's okay, most people are irrational.  Often in ways they don't even know, such as illusion of control.

Precisely because Meme Theory is not science, nor does it claim to be. Religion, however, claims to be "The Truth(tm)". That is the difference.

When you claim that I believe in memes you can mean many things.

- Do I have a reasonable confidence that there are ideas which have been identified as memes. Yes.
- Have I arrived at the conclusion that Meme Theory as delivered by Professor Dawkins by means of adopting a non-rationally and non-emprically explainable assumption? No.

Your question can mean either.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HVC

"militant" atheists annoy me. at least religious people just go about their lives not trying to show you up about how wrong you are. Expect for Jehovah witnesses... but they annoy me to :D

Don't believe in god? i get it. but how does some dude wearing his turban in photo's effect you to the point that you have to become and ass about it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Viking

Quote from: HVC on July 13, 2011, 11:55:11 AM
"militant" theists annoy me. at least religious people just go about their lives not trying to show you up about how wrong you are. Expect for Jehovah witnesses... but they annoy me to :D

Don't believe in god? i get it. but how does some dude wearing his turban in photo's effect you to the point that you have to become and ass about it.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/pptphotoreq/pptphotoreq_5333.html

The US Passport photo guidelines permit turbans, but
QuoteYour full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.

Nobody is banning turbans, they are banning Niqabs

however.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on July 13, 2011, 12:05:43 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 13, 2011, 11:55:11 AM
theists

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

so, what do you think he thinks it means and what do you think it means?

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on July 13, 2011, 11:31:33 AM
since "making a rational argument that causes cognitive dissonance in true believers holding irrational views" is insulting.

I'm not seeing any "rational argument that causes cognitive dissonance" in a guy wearing a pasta strainer on his head. 

QuoteMuslims do make some compelling arguments that I agree with. The Muslim case against polytheism, judaism and christianity are quite compelling. The muslim case will never convince a hindu, jew or christian, but it is compelling to all non-hindus, goy and non-christians.

What about the Muslim "case against Judaism and Christianity" is compelling? As far as I know, the Muslims do not make a "case" against either - rather, they claim both are *right* but incomplete, in that they don't accept the authority of Mohammed as the final prophet of the Jewish and Christian God. Presumably, you find the argument for the existence of Mohammed as final prophet compelling?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on July 13, 2011, 11:52:01 AM

Precisely because Meme Theory is not science, nor does it claim to be. Religion, however, claims to be "The Truth(tm)". That is the difference.

- Do I have a reasonable confidence that there are ideas which have been identified as memes. Yes.
- Have I arrived at the conclusion that Meme Theory as delivered by Professor Dawkins by means of adopting a non-rationally and non-emprically explainable assumption? No.

Your first answer means absolutely nothing.  I could say that I have reasonable confidence that there are ideas which have been identified as clowns and that would be equally valid.

The whole concept of memes is non-rational and non-empirical.  However, many people who are athiests believe they exist.  In no small part because Prophet Dawkins is proponent of the idea.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2011, 12:31:53 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 13, 2011, 11:31:33 AM
since "making a rational argument that causes cognitive dissonance in true believers holding irrational views" is insulting.

I'm not seeing any "rational argument that causes cognitive dissonance" in a guy wearing a pasta strainer on his head. 

Your ability to rationalize yourself around your own cognitive dissonance is stunning. The guy wearing the strainer and the guy wearing the turban are using precisely the same argument for being allowed to wear them. They just appeal to different gods over different religions that have different pedigrees.

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2011, 12:31:53 PM
QuoteMuslims do make some compelling arguments that I agree with. The Muslim case against polytheism, judaism and christianity are quite compelling. The muslim case will never convince a hindu, jew or christian, but it is compelling to all non-hindus, goy and non-christians.

What about the Muslim "case against Judaism and Christianity" is compelling? As far as I know, the Muslims do not make a "case" against either - rather, they claim both are *right* but incomplete, in that they don't accept the authority of Mohammed as the final prophet of the Jewish and Christian God. Presumably, you find the argument for the existence of Mohammed as final prophet compelling?

I've spent some time reading up on muslim theology. If you want to make a case for or against anyting know something about it. The muslim case is that the were complete and perfect but were corrupted by the jews and christians.

If you conclude from my argument that Muslims have good arguments against Christianity, Judaism and Hinduism that I must find some argument for Islam compelling is a false dichotomy. You know very well that I think they are all wrong and you are arguing in bad faith when you have to conjure up a logical fallacy to try to associate me with a position that you very well know I do not hold.

As a Legal profession you must understand that merely proving that the defense is wrong does not prove the prosecution is wright. When you pretend to be this stupid I just lose respect for you. You have earned alot of my respect on previous occasions, so there is much left. If you are going to continue to argue that

Not A => B

without first proving that

IF Not A THEN B

(if somebody can give me the ASCII codes for logical notation I'd be much appreciative)

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2011, 12:44:49 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 13, 2011, 11:52:01 AM

Your first answer means absolutely nothing.  I could say that I have reasonable confidence that there are ideas which have been identified as clowns and that would be equally valid.

The whole concept of memes is non-rational and non-empirical.  However, many people who are athiests believe they exist.  In no small part because Prophet Dawkins is proponent of the idea.

Define meme and define believe. And, name one atheist that you can quote using the word believe and meme in one sentence that supports your assertion.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on July 13, 2011, 12:51:47 PM

Your ability to rationalize yourself around your own cognitive dissonance is stunning. The guy wearing the strainer and the guy wearing the turban are using precisely the same argument for being allowed to wear them. They just appeal to different gods over different religions that have different pedigrees.

What "cognitive dissonance"? I'm not a believer.

My point is that the guy wearing a pasta strainer is not going to convince anyone of anything, other than that he's an attention whore.

The notion that this would in some manner cause a Sikh "cognitive dissonance", or in any other manner cause a Sikh to re-evaluate his Sikhdom, is simply wrong. Humans are generally not like that. They react negatively to being parodied. 

I've spent some time reading up on muslim theology. If you want to make a case for or against anyting know something about it. The muslim case is that the were complete and perfect but were corrupted by the jews and christians.

If you conclude from my argument that Muslims have good arguments against Christianity, Judaism and Hinduism that I must find some argument for Islam compelling is a false dichotomy.

Not where the argument against is that the religion was complete and perfect but for the corruption of it by Jews and Christians. In that case, to find the argument "compelling", you'd have to believe that the religion was complete and perfect.

QuoteYou know very well that I think they are all wrong and you are arguing in bad faith when you have to conjure up a logical fallacy to try to associate me with a position that you very well know I do not hold.

As a Legal profession you must understand that merely proving that the defense is wrong does not prove the prosecution is wright. When you pretend to be this stupid I just lose respect for you. You have earned alot of my respect on previous occasions, so there is much left. If you are going to continue to argue that

Not A => B

without first proving that

IF Not A THEN B

(if somebody can give me the ASCII codes for logical notation I'd be much appreciative)

Your problem is that I asked you what is known as a "rhetorical question", to demonstrate why you are wrong. This is not arguing in "bad faith". I know full well you don't actually believe in Islam. I did not expect you to agree that you did. I expected that you would re-evaluate your argument.

What I'm saying is that it is difficult to logically find the Islamic attack on Judaism and Christianity "compelling" without belief in elements of the Islamic faith. The Islamic attack isn't primarially based on elements of Judaism or Christianity that are "wrong" outside of the context of Islam. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on July 13, 2011, 12:54:49 PM

Define meme and define believe. And, name one atheist that you can quote using the word believe and meme in one sentence that supports your assertion.

http://brandonwalsh.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/atheist-meme-of-the-day-atheists-believe-in-things/  Here's one apparently.