News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[SPOILERS] A Dance With Dragons

Started by Viking, July 12, 2011, 03:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Viking on July 31, 2011, 11:35:43 AMIf the entire point of Quentin Martell is to fill in for the sun setting in the east bit from (as it appears now)

Quote"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

Then I suppose that the dothraki sea will go dry, the mountain will be swept away by some storm (or whoever is the faith's champion against robert strong) and Dany will get Pregnant by Dario Naharis (though it seems like she aborted in the Dragonstone scenes with Drogon) and Khal Drogo will live on as the Dragon Drogon.

i really, really hate this.. theory that has been floating around (especially on that god damn westeros forum!). there seems to be a certain percentage of readers who will take something from the books and try and apply it to every-fucking-situation.

i've seen posts arguing that the lights tyrion saw above the bridge in that chapter with the stonemen attack might be an early instance of glamor magic. others have tried to say this and that are wargs or were controlled by wargs (snow's killers were all warged into it! it is known). don't even get me started on the aegon = fake! argument, which i see faeelin has thankfully denounced already in this thread. varys lies to a dead man for no reason whatsoever. OK

i have never taken mirri's little final word to daenerys as anything more than a sarcastic response, such as when pigs fly. naturally, the use of lame and abundant prophecies martin has been throwing at the audience left and right (especially) since AFFC has left the retarded-theory crowd (not directed at you, viking, more at the legion over at westeros.org) hooked on the idea that it's a prophecy. sure, quentyn is of dorne, and dorne's symbol is a sun, but ya know... that's as similar a "connection" to mirri's dialogue as any numerologist's crackpot theory to the bible, or a stack of newspapers

i just don't see how a return of drogo, no matter what the incarnation--whether it be his "spirit," another son in the future (with drogo's face as one westeros poster suggested!), or a drogo manifested by his cremated remains--could possibly be a worthy addition to the story. drogo is dead; he's not coming back, not even if daenerys fucks all the dothraki and their horses will anything connected to him return

Siege

I hope Jon stays dead.
I hope Daenarys dies as well, and Tyrion, Penny, and Patchface become the Dragonriders.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Seriously though, I think Bran is the most interesting character.
He is about to reach superpowerdom.
Who needs the internet if you got the Weirwoodnet.

I think GRRM watched James Cameron's "Avatar" once too many times.

LaCroix

Quote from: Siege on July 31, 2011, 07:44:27 PM
I hope Jon stays dead.
I hope Daenarys dies as well, and Tyrion, Penny, and Patchface become the Dragonriders.

jon can't die/(edit)stay dead, because jon is every 15 year old fanboy's dream hero; plus he has plot-invincibility. daenerys too. miss slavery is fun really needs to get raped and then eaten alive by someone or something. that would be a satisfying conclusion to penny's character arc

Siege

Why is Jon such a hero?
He only does boring stuff up in the cold.
He didn't take part in any of the cool stuff, namely the feudal struggle for control of the Iron Throne.
He got no bannermen to call, no smallfolk to rule, not even trueborn heritage to his own House, let alone to claim the throne.

LaCroix

he's just always been that -character with a broken past- who never acts wrongly, has noble intentions forever, and can work around any problem as he rises from enlistee to lord commander of the mother-fucking-wall within a year's time. since jon-chapter one in game of thrones, something about him screamed main character. i've never really particularly liked him, though i can certainly understand why he is a fan favorite

Solmyr

For me Jon is the second-most boring character in the series (Bran being the most boring).

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on July 31, 2011, 08:22:25 PM
he's just always been that -character with a broken past- who never acts wrongly, has noble intentions forever, and can work around any problem as he rises from enlistee to lord commander of the mother-fucking-wall within a year's time. since jon-chapter one in game of thrones, something about him screamed main character. i've never really particularly liked him, though i can certainly understand why he is a fan favorite

Also he dresses in black and has an Albino wolf.  Dead give away that he's the hero in a fantasy novel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

Quote from: LaCroix on July 31, 2011, 07:28:41 PM
i've seen posts arguing that the lights tyrion saw above the bridge in that chapter with the stonemen attack might be an early instance of glamor magic.
'

I'm sorry, I don't understand this at all.

LaCroix

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on July 27, 2011, 03:27:18 AM
Sort of. But if you like the world, it should be okay. I think it was on acceptable levels, except for the grand reopening of the pits which was looooooooooong.
I did not mind Vicarion and the other "fillers" - I got to learn what was going on those parts. And if you (well not you, but grumbler) say that this could have been covered more easily "on the side" or as brief flashbacks later, then sure, but that goes for almost all of the book's content and one is left wondering: why read it at all?
:lol:  You don't understand my concerns, or why I read the books.  That's okay.  I really wasn't expressing concerns or pointing out what I liked because I expected people like you to understand me; I expressed them because I expected discriminating readers to understand me, and they did.

You can feel free to enjoy any level of details and digressions that you wish, and that's your opinion.  You don't have to try to denigrate my opinions to express yours, however, especially when you didn't even address any of my issues, but erected some strawman about "why have a book if it doesn't have irrelevant details and POVs" instead.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

I think the book is fine the way it is.
I enjoyed all the chapters, including the boring ones.
It could have certainly been better, more like Clash of Kings, but at least I did not get as bored as with the Feast.

Now, if someone could just kill Daenerys...

By the way, what do you guys make of Aegon?
I think that even if he is really who Varys says he is, he is not what Varys expects him to be.
I got a feeling that he got the Aerys The Mad streak.

Faeelin

Quote from: Siege on August 01, 2011, 08:32:22 PM
By the way, what do you guys make of Aegon?
I think that even if he is really who Varys says he is, he is not what Varys expects him to be.
I got a feeling that he got the Aerys The Mad streak.

Because he got angry losing a board game to a dwarf who was telling him how his life plan was going to fail?

This is Game of Thrones, so of course he'll be insane, but nothing in the book proves it, IMO.

HisMajestyBOB

Well Daenarys and Jon got the incompetence part*, so of course Aegon should get the mad part.
Rightful king Ramsay Bolton is, of course, the wise Targaryen.

*or maybe it's just them being teenagers.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.