News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flavor of the Month: Newt!

Started by Razgovory, November 14, 2011, 03:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 14, 2011, 05:28:28 PM
I'd say that Cain doesn't come across as particularly strong on foreign policy in this question on Libya: http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/video/?bcpid=13960334001&bctid=1275195602001

Just saw this on CNN.  :pinch:

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2011, 05:15:25 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 14, 2011, 05:07:23 PM
So Cain craters, but Romney doesn't rise and Gingrich surges.

Has Cain truly cratered?  I thought he was going to ride it out because of the squishiness of sexual harrassment charges.

Not yet, but he's dead in the water.  He'll keep going down.  I wonder if it would have been different if the chicks had been black.  You have a black man hitting on white chicks.  That just won't play in the South.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on November 14, 2011, 05:11:03 PM
Or, after going through the entire roster (except for Paul and Huntsman, obviously), Republicans will go "Oh, fuck it, I give up.  Romney it is."

Newt's skeletons are on public record, why would people supporting him now throw him over for Romney?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

QuoteKaren Santorum wrote a book about the experience: Letters to Gabriel: The True Story of Gabriel Michael Santorum.[106] In it, she writes that the couple brought the deceased infant home from the hospital and introduced the dead child to their living children as "your brother Gabriel" and slept with the body overnight before returning it to the hospital. The anecdote was also written about by Michael Sokolove in a 2005 New York Times Magazine story on Santorum.[1] Karen is also the author of a book on etiquette for children.[107]

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess.  Gross, but I suppose it's not hurting anyone?  May be a bit traumatic for the tykes, but whatever.  I wonder if they gave them a stick to poke Gabriel.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Ah, the latest incarnation of "ABR" - Anybody But Romney
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 14, 2011, 08:00:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 14, 2011, 05:11:03 PM
Or, after going through the entire roster (except for Paul and Huntsman, obviously), Republicans will go "Oh, fuck it, I give up.  Romney it is."

Newt's skeletons are on public record, why would people supporting him now throw him over for Romney?  :hmm:

Well, his skeletons up to the 1990's.  Remember, the guy's been doing stuff since then. For instance, he's been writing alternative history.  That's got to hurt him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

KRonn

I don't particularly like Newt for President, but I think he's about the smartest one there. He has so many ideas, often sweeping plans for real change that he can elaborate on so well. He is extremely articulate, and has a great grasp of ideas, facts and information.

Josquius

And here I expected this to be a light article on someone producing newt flavoured crisps or the like.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: stjaba on November 14, 2011, 05:25:24 PM
I think Romney has fared well in one on one polls with other candidates.

I didn't know that. Interesting, and definitely goes against the theory I was tossing out there.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

I think they will end up choosing Romney at the end of the day.  Kinda like how the GOP didn't really like John McCain but chose him in the end because there was nobody better.

Gaius Marius

Quote from: KRonn on November 14, 2011, 08:26:45 PM
I don't particularly like Newt for President, but I think he's about the smartest one there. He has so many ideas, often sweeping plans for real change that he can elaborate on so well. He is extremely articulate, and has a great grasp of ideas, facts and information.

He is likely the most qualified candidate in the Republican field, and the most likely to actually get something done (especially if the American people decide to keep the House and Senate under split control as now. But I think he is too intelligent and liable to compromise for the majority of the Tea Party and Moral Majority wings of the party to accept.
First Man in Rome

Eddie Teach

Eh, Gingrich is plenty conservative. His baggage is mainly personal history and likeability.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Has Cain truly cratered?

I don't think so -- cratering implies that you can't go down further and I have faith in Cain's abilities for creative self-destruction.  If Rick Perry has proven anything this campaign, it is no matter how bad things seem, they still can get worse.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2011, 10:40:48 AM
Has Cain truly cratered?

I don't think so -- cratering implies that you can't go down further and I have faith in Cain's abilities for creative self-destruction.  If Rick Perry has proven anything this campaign, it is no matter how bad things seem, they still can get worse.
:lol:

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 15, 2011, 02:57:50 AM
Eh, Gingrich is plenty conservative. His baggage is mainly personal history and likeability.

Yeah, plus the fact that when he was Speaker of the House, he was pretty badly outmanouvered politically by President Clinton.  Some people see that as evidence that he wouldn't be very effective in getting his ideas put into policy.  Personally, I don't quite agree with that--Clinton was one of the slickest politicians we've ever had, and the current Democratic leadership is nowhere near as adroit.