No Small Fries: Restaurant Bans Kids Under Six Years Old

Started by garbon, July 12, 2011, 02:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 14, 2011, 02:00:40 PM
I sorta wish I had never bought that RV. I want to have my kids annoy people like Mart now.

Yeah, I'm with you on that - other than the RV part. I'm going to feel much less bad about annoying people with a screaming baby once the time comes, due to Marty's temper tantrums. At least the baby has an excuse. Marty? Not so much.

And like I said, if babies always scream on the flights he's on he should spring for a pair of good quality earplugs.

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on July 14, 2011, 01:56:52 PM
"My kid is so quiet"

"Oh, my dog is all bark, he doesn't bite"

And yet here we are.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone admit that "Oh, my kid is a little whiney screamer." or "Watch out. The dog is rabid. He may look cute but he will take your fingers."

My cat may look like she's inviting a tummy-pat or ear sqeeze, but pat my cat on the tummy or squeeze her ears, and she'll take flesh.

I've actually warned people that. I've warned people on *Languish* that, eh BB?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

I used to wonder if Marty hates kids because he's gay.  Now I wonder if Marty became gay just to not deal with children.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 14, 2011, 01:59:56 PM
"My kid is so quiet"

And yet here we are.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone admit that "Oh, my kid is a little whiney screamer." or "Watch out. The dog is rabid. He may look cute but he will take your fingers."

Well, if it's rabid it usually gets put down.

We just got a puppy, and when meeting other dogs for the first time it's pretty customary to ask "hey, is your dog good with puppies?" I've gotten a few honest "no, not at all" and even a few pre-emptive "my dog's not well socialized".

So you do hear accurate assesments sometimes.

But yeah, some people are idiots and that extends to how they manage their dog.

I have to tell people that my one dog, the Rhodesian ridgeback cross, has occasionally had issues with dogs bigger than he is (he likes to be the alpha male) but is pleasant as can be with any other dog, and that my other dog (the Yukon husky mutt) is friendly as can be but jumps and is undisciplined.

In any event it looks like we're taking baby Tim to Brazil in the next year or two, which will be a very long flight.  He's a pretty good traveller, and we'll do as much as we can to keep him occupied and quiet, but I can't guarantee he won't make some noise at some point.  And if the Martinus's of the world don't like it, well I apologize but it's just the way it is.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2011, 02:13:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 14, 2011, 01:59:56 PM
"My kid is so quiet"

And yet here we are.

Well, if it's rabid it usually gets put down.

We just got a puppy, and when meeting other dogs for the first time it's pretty customary to ask "hey, is your dog good with puppies?" I've gotten a few honest "no, not at all" and even a few pre-emptive "my dog's not well socialized".

So you do hear accurate assesments sometimes.

But yeah, some people are idiots and that extends to how they manage their dog.

I have to tell people that my one dog, the Rhodesian ridgeback cross, has occasionally had issues with dogs bigger than he is (he likes to be the alpha male) but is pleasant as can be with any other dog, and that my other dog (the Yukon husky mutt) is friendly as can be but jumps and is undisciplined.

In any event it looks like we're taking baby Tim to Brazil in the next year or two, which will be a very long flight.  He's a pretty good traveller, and we'll do as much as we can to keep him occupied and quiet, but I can't guarantee he won't make some noise at some point.  And if the Martinus's of the world don't like it, well I apologize but it's just the way it is.

Well. That's the problem right there. You don't care if other people are inconvenienced by your choices because you feel entitled to go on your vacation whether your crotch fruit is a wailing banshee or not.

Personally, I will deal with it by headphones or ear plugs, but on a basic level the notion offends me.

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on July 14, 2011, 02:19:56 PM

Personally, I will deal with it by headphones or ear plugs, but on a basic level the notion offends me.

Yeah, but so much else offends you. If you met my family, I don't think the kid's wailing would even make the top 20.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 02:24:38 PM

Yeah, but so much else offends you. If you met my family, I don't think the kid's wailing would even make the top 20.  :D

Sure. Ideally the kid's wailing would be dampened by the steam.

However, that's not the point. Your stories of how picture perfect your life is have no value in a discussion of principles. You are the outlier.

Or possibly the outliar.

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on July 14, 2011, 02:26:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 02:24:38 PM

Sure. Ideally the kid's wailing would be dampened by the steam.

However, that's not the point. Your stories of how picture perfect your life is have no value in a discussion of principles. You are the outlier.

Or possibly the outliar.

"Picture perfect"?  :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 02:29:35 PM

When you are surrounded by Somalians and Norwegians all the time any meagre existance looks picture perfect to you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Slargos

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2011, 02:30:56 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 02:29:35 PM

When you are surrounded by Somalians and Norwegians all the time any meagre existance looks picture perfect to you.

If you even suspected the veracity of that statement...  :cry:

Barrister

Well. That's the problem right there. You don't care if other people are inconvenienced by your choices because you feel entitled to go on your vacation whether your crotch fruit is a wailing banshee or not.

But I care evry much - and will do everything I can to avoid it.

But in the grand scheme of things, a few strangers being inconvenienced on a plane is outweighed by the desire for Tim to be at his Uncle's wedding and meet all of his new extended family.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 02:06:51 PM
My cat may look like she's inviting a tummy-pat or ear sqeeze, but pat my cat on the tummy or squeeze her ears, and she'll take flesh.

I've actually warned people that. I've warned people on *Languish* that, eh BB?  ;)

I love the crazed expression cats get when trying to eat my foot or my hand.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 02:06:51 PM
"My kid is so quiet"

And yet here we are.

I can confirm this story. :pinch:

derspiess

I don't think I've ever heard anyone admit that "Oh, my kid is a little whiney screamer."

I would if my kid was.  My niece is, though come to think of it she's well-behaved in restaurants.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall