News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dawn of War 2

Started by Eochaid, April 20, 2009, 09:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eochaid

Anyone playing it?

I just finished my first campaign (on veteran) and I'm now playing on Primarch difficulty.

Any thoughts on the game?

Anyone up for some MP?

Kevin
It's been a while

vinraith

Downloaded the demo, played the demo, deleted the demo, went back to DoW 1. This experience is actually what prompted my Close Combat thread.

Eochaid

Quote from: vinraith on April 20, 2009, 10:19:50 AM
Downloaded the demo, played the demo, deleted the demo, went back to DoW 1. This experience is actually what prompted my Close Combat thread.

I also had a bit of a hard time getting into it, but the game gets MUCH better when you start levelling up. All squads have their distinct flavour/usefulness (except Thaddeus and his assault squad) and the missions are tough.

Kevin
It's been a while

vinraith

Quote from: Eochaid on April 20, 2009, 11:01:24 AM

I also had a bit of a hard time getting into it, but the game gets MUCH better when you start levelling up. All squads have their distinct flavour/usefulness (except Thaddeus and his assault squad) and the missions are tough.

Kevin

I dislike the format change. RTS isn't a format that's particularly good for telling stories, and removing the base building and the larger armies just feels like removing the last vestiges of "S" from the RTS genre to me. More importantly, it just wasn't remotely fun for me. Glad you got something out of it, someone might as well.

Eochaid

Quote from: vinraith on April 20, 2009, 11:07:17 AMI dislike the format change. RTS isn't a format that's particularly good for telling stories, and removing the base building and the larger armies just feels like removing the last vestiges of "S" from the RTS genre to me. More importantly, it just wasn't remotely fun for me. Glad you got something out of it, someone might as well.

Fair enough.

Kevin
It's been a while

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: vinraith on April 20, 2009, 11:07:17 AM
Quote from: Eochaid on April 20, 2009, 11:01:24 AM

Kevin

I dislike the format change. RTS isn't a format that's particularly good for telling stories, and removing the base building and the larger armies just feels like removing the last vestiges of "S" from the RTS genre to me. More importantly, it just wasn't remotely fun for me. Glad you got something out of it, someone might as well.

RTT (real time tactics) seems a better moniker for the game.

Ed Anger

Played the demo, and liked leveling buildings with the scout squad's demo charges.

Hate the boss fights though. A commander, tactical squad, 3 terminators and a scout squad can't take down one ork easily? Screw that.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

Way too expensive for me. Will revisit when the inevitable expansions are out.

I Killed Kenny

the campaign mode is cool. But I really don't like the way they made the orks look like. Some stupid ass cowards...

DisturbedPervert

Are people able to get this to work online?  Whenever I try it says I need to upgrade Games for Windows Live, but it never successfully downloads the new version.  I wish they could just use Steam or an in house browser for multiplayer instead of this Microsoft abomination.

Hansmeister

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 30, 2009, 12:24:46 PM
Are people able to get this to work online?  Whenever I try it says I need to upgrade Games for Windows Live, but it never successfully downloads the new version.  I wish they could just use Steam or an in house browser for multiplayer instead of this Microsoft abomination.

I had the same problem and eventually just gave up.

Lettow77

Single player was extremely repetitive. Multiplayer was fast-paced to the extreme, but didint feel as satisfying as DOW1 had, which in turn was a step back from starcraft, the king of kings.

I went back to Starcraft.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

I just got this.  Not as much fun as Dawn of War 1.  Feels a bit more like coin-operated arcade game with the boss fights.  Pretty graphics.  So far I'm disappointed.  They took the wrong turn after the excellent company of heroes IMO.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Also Can't figure out how to get the fucking Games for windows thing to work.  I hate that shit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017