News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flip-A-Thread: Best book you've ever read?

Started by CountDeMoney, July 07, 2011, 08:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Norgy on July 09, 2011, 12:05:00 PM
Quote from: katmai on July 09, 2011, 01:53:00 AM
Some of my favorite books
The Long Goodbye-Raymond Chandler
Ham on Rye-Charles Bukowski

Good choices.
I had a serious Bukowski period. I even read some of his books.

Yeah, I had a Bukowski period for about two years in my early 20s. I loved his short stories, and at the time would rate Harry Chinaski as one of my heroes.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Scipio

Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2011, 01:46:52 PM
Quote from: Norgy on July 09, 2011, 12:05:00 PM
Quote from: katmai on July 09, 2011, 01:53:00 AM
Some of my favorite books
The Long Goodbye-Raymond Chandler
Ham on Rye-Charles Bukowski

Good choices.
I had a serious Bukowski period. I even read some of his books.

Yeah, I had a Bukowski period for about two years in my early 20s. I loved his short stories, and at the time would rate Harry Chinaski as one of my heroes.
He's no Bandini.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Siege

I can only think of hedge knights, sellswords, faceless men, bloodriders, first men, children of the forest, greeseers, the nights's watch, etc.

I'm hopeless.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Habbaku

This time tomorrow night, I hope to be ~300 pages in.   :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 11, 2011, 10:01:17 PM
I can only think of hedge knights, sellswords, faceless men, bloodriders, first men, children of the forest, greeseers, the nights's watch, etc.

I'm hopeless.

You know, you might like Westerns.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pedrito

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2011, 10:58:13 PM

Oh! Oh! McCarthy's Blood Meridian! and Not a Country for Old Men, too.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Malthus

Quote from: Pedrito on July 12, 2011, 02:25:57 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2011, 10:58:13 PM

Oh! Oh! McCarthy's Blood Meridian! and Not a Country for Old Men, too.

L.

Heh, my wife tried to read Blood Meridian, and she said it made her almost physically ill.  :D

I myself like McCarthy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius