News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flip-A-Thread: Best book you've ever read?

Started by CountDeMoney, July 07, 2011, 08:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Seriously, I think L-F Céline's "Journey to the End of the Night" has got to be my favorite, at least as far as fiction is concerned.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Norgy

Quote from: Slargos on July 08, 2011, 03:38:01 AM

I can see why you made your first pick to begin with: [You're] Not very original.  :P

Do you know how much an original Kafka would cost?
It's a classic and its theme remains fresh even today.
I've read more entertaining books, but from the impressions it left, it's still the best along with these:

http://www.bokkilden.no/SamboWeb/produkt.do?produktId=131160

Since Bjørneboe isn't well known outside of Norway, I went with Kafka.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Norgy on July 08, 2011, 02:32:53 AM
Probably Kafka's "The Process".

Ah, I think that is more commonly translated at least in the US as "The Trial."  I was kind of bewildered that there was a whole Kafka book I'd never even heard, considering how little he published.  One of my favorites also.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

Some of my favorites:

- Short stories: Ficciones by Borges - surely the greatest short stories ever written

- Invisible Cities by Calvino - dunno who to classify it: fable, series of short stories, poetry? Certainly not for all tastes, but I find it awe-inspiring

- The Master and Margarita by Bugalikov - Satan comes to Stalinist Moscow and finds himself right at home. Hilarious and sad at the same time. 

- The Man Who Was Thursday by Chesterton - dectective novel as religious allegory. Every page is more bizzare than the one before.

- Cloud Atlas by Mitchell. Profound, brilliant.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Atlas Shrugged. Opened my eyes it did. I carry a copy with me at all times.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 08, 2011, 12:14:49 PM
Quote from: Norgy on July 08, 2011, 02:32:53 AM
Probably Kafka's "The Process".

Ah, I think that is more commonly translated at least in the US as "The Trial."  I was kind of bewildered that there was a whole Kafka book I'd never even heard, considering how little he published.  One of my favorites also.

My favorite Kafka remains In The Penal Colony. "Be Just ..."
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2011, 07:40:59 AM
Quote from: Drakken on July 08, 2011, 07:26:22 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2011, 06:32:04 AM
I've thought about it & It's either LOTR or Les Rois Maudits.

I go with Les Rois Maudits.

The original six volumes, though. The seventh and last was a bore, mostly because all main characters were dead.

It barely has anything to do with the First Six. Shouldn't have been included in the series. Damn Marketing.

You know, think of it, I might add When a Lion Loses France among the worst books ever read.

To me, Les Rois Maudits ends when Robert d'Artois dies of his wounds and the real Jean Ier dies mad and alone in his Siena jail.

mongers

If we're restricting this to works of fiction, then I'd have to go with my CV.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Norgy

Slargos

Quote from: Norgy on July 08, 2011, 12:11:42 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 08, 2011, 03:38:01 AM

I can see why you made your first pick to begin with: [You're] Not very original.  :P

Do you know how much an original Kafka would cost?
It's a classic and its theme remains fresh even today.
I've read more entertaining books, but from the impressions it left, it's still the best along with these:

http://www.bokkilden.no/SamboWeb/produkt.do?produktId=131160

Since Bjørneboe isn't well known outside of Norway, I went with Kafka.

My point, of course, is that it's not a very original choice, just as it's not very original to death-of-a-salesman me.  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on July 08, 2011, 02:41:38 PM
If we're restricting this to works of fiction, then I'd have to go with my CV.  :)

:D

My pick is the Aubrey/Maturin series.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2011, 05:43:11 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 08, 2011, 02:41:38 PM

:D

My pick is the Aubrey/Maturin series.

I dunno - I loved those books, but best ever?

Maturin was a definite Mary Sue character for O'Brien.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 05:47:03 PM
I dunno - I loved those books, but best ever?

Maturin was a definite Mary Sue character for O'Brien.

Best in the sense of what I enjoyed the most, yes.

What's a Mary Sue character?