Tabloid phone hacking scandal involving kidnapped girl roils Britain

Started by jimmy olsen, July 05, 2011, 07:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Gups on July 13, 2011, 07:39:54 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2011, 10:56:29 PM
Apparently senior police officers were hacked in '06 and blackmailed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/12/world/europe/12yard.html?_r=1

It doesn't say they were blackmailed. Christ a 10 word summary and you can't even get it right.

Seems implied
QuoteShortly after Scotland Yard began its initial criminal inquiry of phone hacking by The News of the World in 2006, five senior police investigators discovered that their own cellphone messages had been targeted by the tabloid and had most likely been listened to.

The disclosure, based on interviews with current and former officials, raises the question of whether senior investigators feared that if they aggressively investigated, The News of the World would punish them with splashy articles about their private lives.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Gups

Tim, no it doesn't. "Raises questions" means there's no evidence at all and the paper doesn't want to make the accusation of his own bat. And even that sentence doesn't imply blackmail, it implies that officers might have held back on their investigations. Blackmail means something else entirely.

Brazen

See, Tim's assumption is the sort of thing journalists should really be sacked for and what the writer of the article very correctly avoided. Note that even "the disclosure" is the subject of the questions that are raised rather than implicating any individual or group of individuals.

Martinus

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Maybe he's keeping Brooks around so he can sacrifice her at the appropriate time.  After all, the scandal hasn't blown itself out yet.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 13, 2011, 06:25:41 PM
Several Senators have called for an investigation on the 9/11 hacking claims.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/13/us-senators-phone-hacking-inquiry
Of course they are.  There are few people more loathsome than US Senators.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 09:42:54 PM

These few people include Murdoch and Rebekah Brook, though,

Martinus

So, Murdoch said that he will accede to the summons from the Parliament (after originally sending a fuck you letter) after they threatened to charge him with the contempt of the parliament, and now FBI has started a separate investigation.

Fuck, I may start to believe in God again.  :lol:

crazy canuck

What kind of chilling effect is this going to have on investigative journalism - to the extent that even exists anymore?

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2011, 03:29:45 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 09:42:54 PM

These few people include Murdoch and Rebekah Brook, though,
They haven't really done anything that bad.

Martinus

These are tabloids not investigative journalism outlets. In fact a lot of it was brought to light because of investigative journalism from the Guardian.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2011, 03:44:41 PM
What kind of chilling effect is this going to have on investigative journalism - to the extent that even exists anymore?

Probably the same chilling effect it would have on bribery.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2011, 04:47:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2011, 03:44:41 PM

Probably the same chilling effect it would have on bribery.

Not sure about that.  It wasnt until recently that investigative reporters were lauded for doing whatever was necessary to break the big story.  Now Marti is quite right that the papers in question are tabloids but to what extent are genuine investigative reporters going to make sure they do not cross lines of acceptability in pursuit of stories were there is a genuine public interest.