Tabloid phone hacking scandal involving kidnapped girl roils Britain

Started by jimmy olsen, July 05, 2011, 07:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: mongers on July 09, 2011, 03:02:21 PM
It's The Sun What Did It:

http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?query=sunonsunday.co.uk&WHOIS+Submit.x=0&WHOIS+Submit.y=0

So, since this URL has now been referred to by myself, Brazen and now Mongers, I think we can be fairly sure that the "Sun on Sunday" is due for launch within the next couple of weeks.

Probably with a large proportion of ex-NoTW staffers on the payroll.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Brazen on July 08, 2011, 07:54:48 AM
The best thing Rebekah Brooks ever did was to beat up Ross Kemp. Not that I'm not jealous that she's the same age as me and at the very heights of journalism.
Chris Bryant says he met them at an event, while they were still together.  Brooks said 'shouldn't you be on Clapham Common at this time of night?'. Ross Kemp turned to her and said 'shut up you homophobic cow.'  Happy marriage :mellow:

This won't stop here.  All the tabloids have been at it to some degree.  The Guardian have done an incredible job.

On the other hand in a weird way this has brought out everything I love about the British press.  The feral moral indignation mixed with commercial self-interest is just a sight to behold.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

I can't wait for the death of tabloid/Murdoch newspaper's influence on UK elections; then all we're have to cope with is Facebook and googles emerging political muscle.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2011, 03:07:22 PM
What he said there wasn't stupid at all.

What Marty said didn't make a lot of sense and Raz is stalking him.

Smoke and mirrors suggests Murdoch engineered the phone hackery to have an excuse to close the Mirror.  If by smoke and mirrors Marty meant this scandal served to hasten a move Murdoch was going to make anyway for other reasons, then that's a misuse of smoke and mirrors.

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on July 09, 2011, 03:33:45 PM
I can't wait for the death of tabloid/Murdoch newspaper's influence on UK elections; then all we're have to cope with is Facebook and googles emerging political muscle.  :hmm:
But...but...then voters would have to pay attention to facts and make up their own mind! :o
Who will tell them what to get angry about then?
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Admiral Yi

Agelastus

Quote from: mongers on July 09, 2011, 03:33:45 PM

So you want the average educational and intelligence quotient of the media (in the most general meaning of this term) sources that effect the outcome of British elections to decline even further?

Besides, the influence of the tabloids on UK elections is overstated; their average readerships are the voters least likely to change party affiliation at a general election.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

"I heard the opinion voiced by some" isn't exactly deathless prose.  I follow Napoleon's adage and don't attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2011, 11:23:19 AM
I only notice you and respond to your posts when you say stupid things.  Unfortunately that means I respond to "almost every post" you make.

It doesn't make sense.  Newscorp discrediting itself (and ruining the careers of some it's top employees) to facilitate the replacement of one of their newspapers by another one doesn't make any sense.  If Newscorp wanted to replace one paper with another they could just do so.  No need to embarrass themselves while doing it.  Fabricating a scandal to embarrass themselves just makes no sense.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Very good point Raz.  I wish I could have thought of that. :P

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2011, 12:55:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2011, 11:23:19 AM
I only notice you and respond to your posts when you say stupid things.  Unfortunately that means I respond to "almost every post" you make.

It doesn't make sense.  Newscorp discrediting itself (and ruining the careers of some it's top employees) to facilitate the replacement of one of their newspapers by another one doesn't make any sense.  If Newscorp wanted to replace one paper with another they could just do so.  No need to embarrass themselves while doing it.  Fabricating a scandal to embarrass themselves just makes no sense.

I didn't say they engineered the scandal, you tard. But that them axing the tabloid was already planned, so it is hardly an act of contrition they purport it to be.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on July 10, 2011, 01:24:08 PM
I didn't say they engineered the scandal, you tard. But that them axing the tabloid was already planned, so it is hardly an act of contrition they purport it to be.
I'd say the "tard" in this case is the bozo who used the idiom "smoke and mirrors" without understanding what it meant.  What you are describing isn't "smoke and mirrors" at all.  Please keep in mind that the misuse of idioms is the classic symptom of tardness.  :bowler:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!