Tabloid phone hacking scandal involving kidnapped girl roils Britain

Started by jimmy olsen, July 05, 2011, 07:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Btw, I heard the opinion voiced by some that this is all smoke and mirrors, since they were planning to close down NOTW (to pave the way for the Sun on Sunday) for some time.

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on July 08, 2011, 07:54:48 AM
There are now 200 journalists on an already overfull job market, not to mention associated sales and administrative teams, 95% of whom had nothing to do with the phone hacking scandal nor knew anything about it.
That could be said about employees of Arthur Andersen or Enron, too. It's a pity but I'd rather see the world perish than justice not being done.

Not to mention, unlike Arthur Andersen, NOTW was not exactly a shining example of integrity or high class journalism, even without the hacking scandal. If you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas. I won't be shedding tears for these people.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Martinus on July 09, 2011, 02:19:08 AM
Btw, I heard the opinion voiced by some that this is all smoke and mirrors, since they were planning to close down NOTW (to pave the way for the Sun on Sunday) for some time.

That's not going to work for them.

dps

This "phone hacking" basically involves you knowing someone's mobile phone number and guessing their voicemail password. It's usually still set to the carrier's default, which is usually something like 1111. Did you know you can dial into your voicemail from anywhere? No, why would you, it's a MOBILE phone right? Find out how to do it and disable it or reset your password.

Actually, if you have voicemail set up with a land-line phone, you can hack into it the same way.  The only difference is that, as you point out, with a cell phone, most people wouldn't know that you can call and check your voicemail from a different number (because, after all, as you said, why would you do that) whereas with a land-line, people who have one wiith voicemail would know that you can check if from another phone.

DontSayBanana

Damage control.  Spinning off a corrupt subsidiary reflects so badly on the selling owners that no sane organization should try it.  I love the interpretation where Murdoch's "I didn't know what was going on" doesn't seem to be enough of a defense to grant immunity from prosecution- the statement isn't reliable since he "misled" Parliament, and if he had some idea, it sounds like a very real possibility that he was simply turning a blind eye to the practice.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Some observations.

This "phone hacking" basically involves you knowing someone's mobile phone number and guessing their voicemail password. It's usually still set to the carrier's default, which is usually something like 1111. Did you know you can dial into your voicemail from anywhere? No, why would you, it's a MOBILE phone right? Find out how to do it and disable it or reset your password.

There are now 200 journalists on an already overfull job market, not to mention associated sales and administrative teams, 95% of whom had nothing to do with the phone hacking scandal nor knew anything about it.

The best thing Rebekah Brooks ever did was to beat up Ross Kemp. Not that I'm not jealous that she's the same age as me and at the very heights of journalism.

Anyone prepared to place a bet that "The Sun On Sunday" will launch within two months? The domain name was taken two days ago.

Though The Sun has copped some flack, no-one seems to be suggesting the public boycotts News International's other publications. The Times, anyone? Same leadership and shared stories from shared sources.

I'm sympathetic, but at the same time, you can't turn a blind eye to practices that far outside the domain of what's acceptable; this would be the expected outcome in the US- I worked for a company that was dissolved after the CEO embezzled $83m of venture capital- we weren't pissed at the justice system for catching up with him; we were pissed at the moron by snorting up the cash on a drugs'n'hookers binge.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

This must be one of those things that only make sense to Poles.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I hear some advertisers have pulled out of the company full stop.
Which is nice.

I believe it has been something that has frequently been muttered about yeah, unifying their brands.
But it has always been one of those things where there was a lot of talk and what ifs posited but no actual movement towards doing it.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2011, 10:22:42 AM

What the fuck is your problem? Why are you stalking me, responding with some shit like that to almost every post I make? Can you go and off yourself you fat crazy fuck?

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on July 09, 2011, 11:13:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2011, 10:22:42 AM

What the fuck is your problem? Why are you stalking me, responding with some shit like that to almost every post I make? Can you go and off yourself you fat crazy fuck?

I only notice you and respond to your posts when you say stupid things.  Unfortunately that means I respond to "almost every post" you make.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2011, 11:23:19 AM
I only notice you and respond to your posts when you say stupid things.  Unfortunately that means I respond to "almost every post" you make.
What he said there wasn't stupid at all.
██████
██████
██████