Tabloid phone hacking scandal involving kidnapped girl roils Britain

Started by jimmy olsen, July 05, 2011, 07:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Agelastus

Quote from: Gups on July 07, 2011, 12:09:54 PM
Haven't really thought about it, but it seems likely that one inquiry would be cheaper than two.

That would depend entirely on the terms of reference; multiple inquiries would have clearly limited remits. That's not what Milliband is calling for.

Quote from: Gups on July 07, 2011, 12:09:54 PMNot sure why your picking on the hapless Milliband rather than the coalition since every party seems to want an inquiry.

I feel sorry for the Liberal Democrats these days; they're trying their hardest to prove Coalitions work to the British electorate and half their voters have abandoned them. They don't get a free pass from me (I still can't stick most of their policies) but they've always stood for electoral reform that would lead to more coalitions, yet the first time they enter one their own voters cry foul!!! It'd make me weep if I'd actually had a smidgeon more faith in the British electorate.

And I don't think Cameron wants an inquiry anyway; he's being pushed into it by his Coalition partners and the way these latest allegations seem to be causing a genuine stir (as the previous two or three or more sets of allegations didn't.) Don't forget he himself could catch more political fallout due to Andy Coulson if this issue drags on.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

dps

Quote from: Agelastus on July 07, 2011, 11:30:49 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 07, 2011, 11:19:18 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2011, 11:13:44 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 07, 2011, 11:07:44 AM
brought to book.

Woah.  New idiom.

Really, its relatively common over here.

I nearly posted "up in front of the beak", would that be new to you as well ?

That one is obsolete, however, unlike "brought to book".

I've heard the expression "brought to book" before.  Never thought of it as particularly British, just really archaic.

I've never heard "up in front of the beak".

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2011, 07:34:55 PM
Gups, is that thing about the liquidators accurate?

Almost certainly not. AFAIK NOTW is not an individual company, it is owned by New International, which is not being liquidated. If it was a company it couldn't be dissolved as easily as all that.

Mark Stephens (who I've crossed swords with on quite a few occasions, you may recall that he was Julian Assange's solicitor) is talking out of his arse as usual. He's a libel/media lawyer. I doubt he knows the first think about insolvency law.

Octavian

Quote from: Agelastus on July 07, 2011, 07:33:46 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 07, 2011, 01:21:54 PM
Quote from: Gups on July 07, 2011, 12:09:54 PM
In any event asking for one is not sub judice!

Don't start implying that "complete disregard for the laws of this land" does not extend "to the leader of the Labour Party!"  That would make Agelastus's comment hysterical nonsense, and we know he is incapable of that.

:zzz

Dear boy...

The last time someone called Grumbler "dear boy" was by a man with a fine beard who constantly talked about how proud he was of his young mentee for having voluntered to fight on the new wall of wood. And that he looked forward to initiating Grumbler to manhood.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Agelastus

Quote from: Octavian on July 08, 2011, 02:27:33 AM
...of his young mentee for having voluntered to fight on the new wall of wood...

:D

I actually had to look up mentee in a dictionary; bravo good sir! :hug:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Brazen

Some observations.

This "phone hacking" basically involves you knowing someone's mobile phone number and guessing their voicemail password. It's usually still set to the carrier's default, which is usually something like 1111. Did you know you can dial into your voicemail from anywhere? No, why would you, it's a MOBILE phone right? Find out how to do it and disable it or reset your password.

There are now 200 journalists on an already overfull job market, not to mention associated sales and administrative teams, 95% of whom had nothing to do with the phone hacking scandal nor knew anything about it.

The best thing Rebekah Brooks ever did was to beat up Ross Kemp. Not that I'm not jealous that she's the same age as me and at the very heights of journalism.

Anyone prepared to place a bet that "The Sun On Sunday" will launch within two months? The domain name was taken two days ago.

Though The Sun has copped some flack, no-one seems to be suggesting the public boycotts News International's other publications. The Times, anyone? Same leadership and shared stories from shared sources.

Gups

I wouldn't say Brooks is at the very heights of journalism. I think she'll be arrested soon.

There are lots of people saying that NI shoudl be boycotted, including sky (though nobody ever suggests boycotting Random House for some reason). I myself am taking the hugely principled stance of cancelling my subcription the very instant the cricket season is over.

mongers

Quote from: Gups on July 08, 2011, 08:05:39 AM
I wouldn't say Brooks is at the very heights of journalism. I think she'll be arrested soon.

There are lots of people saying that NI shoudl be boycotted, including sky (though nobody ever suggests boycotting Random House for some reason). I myself am taking the hugely principled stance of cancelling my subcription the very instant the cricket season is over.

I support you principled, but also practical stance no supping with the devil.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on July 08, 2011, 07:54:48 AM

There are now 200 journalists on an already overfull job market, not to mention associated sales and administrative teams, 95% of whom had nothing to do with the phone hacking scandal nor knew anything about it.

You know I really hope this summary dismissal of so many journalists backfires on the Murdoch and their henchmen; 200 journalists suddenly at a loose end, maybe some of them will you their inside knowledge, 'skills' and spare time to dig up more dirt, and fling it at their former employers ?  :hmm:

Richard Hakluyt

I've been boycotting their stuff for years........and another thing, England's test series should be broadcast by the BBC.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 08, 2011, 08:46:25 AM
I've been boycotting their stuff for years........and another thing, England's test series should be broadcast by the BBC.

QFT.

Any political part implementing this would get a permanent 5% increase in the vote.    :)

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on July 07, 2011, 07:33:46 PM

Dear boy, you really need to come up with some new material...
Grandpa, as long as you keep making new silly statements, I have all the new material I need.  :bowler:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Gups

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 08, 2011, 08:46:25 AM

They should, but they aren't. That's down to the BBC as much as anyone else.