News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why did teenagers stop getting jobs?

Started by MadImmortalMan, July 05, 2011, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2011, 11:08:28 AM
I worry about riding the intercity busses in Canada, because of the prevelance of Chinese decapitators.  ;)

Agreed.  I would never travel on a long haul bus without having a metal collar of some sort.

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 06, 2011, 10:41:00 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 01:29:40 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2011, 05:37:33 PMI worked at McDonalds when I was 17 and I closed all the time.

But that does not exactly refute the theory that people who work as teenagers end up having shitty jobs and are idiots, does it?
:rolleyes:
Teaching is eminently respectable, something that can not be said for being a Polish lawyer.

Not here in America. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2011, 11:08:28 AM
I worry about riding the intercity busses in Canada, because of the prevelance of Chinese decapitators.  ;)

I would never, and have never, taken an intercity bus in the US or Canada. I think Poland is a bit different.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: mongers on July 06, 2011, 10:59:56 AM
I just prefer taking a coach/bus into central London, door to door in 2hrs, rather than taking a car and either 'abandoning' it in the suburbs or trying to find a parking place in the centre of town, not a fun game in my experience.  <_<

Well I will certainly go with the notion raised by Alfred that buses are different in different places. I was certainly okay with the Oxford Tube - although the bus I had to take to get to Lewisham wasn't my fave.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2011, 10:55:34 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2011, 03:11:47 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2011, 04:48:16 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 05, 2011, 04:37:41 PM
And what about the other part of the graph? Why are people who should be retired still working?

Why should people retire?

Because if they don't you end up in a disfunctional gerontocracy, with old people clinging to the top jobs in your society, holding back the generational advancement and getting young people squeezed out of their careers. Some particular cases can be understood, but eventually the old have to get out of the picture and make room for the young.

How is it that one day a person is a productive member of the workforce and then the next day when they have a birthday and reach some magical age they suddenly are "clinging" to a job.  Also, what makes you assume that older workers have all the "top jobs".
Maybe they sucked for a while but firing them was too ard or costly :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2011, 11:24:47 AM

As is often the case with younger workers.... :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2011, 11:15:17 AM
I would never, and have never, taken an intercity bus in the US or Canada.

I have. There were some city buses in Athens integrated into the university's transportation system.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2011, 11:27:58 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2011, 11:24:47 AM

As is often the case with younger workers.... :P
nah, we're easy to get rid of. little or no severance.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 06, 2011, 11:28:23 AM

I have. There were some city buses in Athens integrated into the university's transportation system.

Stanford had a bus shuttle service to take students around campus / into Palo Alto.  I pretty much never took it as it wasn't dependable. There was a full on schedule, but you never knew if it would actually come - so you were better of walking or biking if you needed to be somewhere at a specific time. :blurgh:

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 06, 2011, 11:28:23 AM

Are those really intercity?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

Oh you meant Greyhound? Nevermind then.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2011, 03:25:09 AM

University is affordable over here, you don't need to get into debt to get a degree.  :P

True enough. Or at least affordable to the individual. 'Cause debt you have.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 06, 2011, 11:35:30 AM

I did say intercity, but actually I can't think of any bus system in the US that I would want to get on.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2011, 11:39:12 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 06, 2011, 11:35:30 AM

I did say intercity, but actually I can't think of any bus system in the US that I would want to get on.

Iron Maiden's tour bus would be pretty cool.

MadImmortalMan