And we're back!

Main Menu

True Terra Nullius

Started by Viking, July 02, 2011, 09:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 03, 2011, 03:03:25 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2011, 02:57:28 AM
Although it wasn't in the last thousand years, as asserted above it was about two thousand years ago, which makes it less weird.

Still people managed to reach Australia 50k years ago, and modern humans lived right next store in Africa for over twice that long.

People managed to reach Australia because they walked there.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2011, 03:07:01 AM
Although it wasn't in the last thousand years, as asserted above it was about two thousand years ago, which makes it less weird.

Still people managed to reach Australia 50k years ago, and modern humans lived right next store in Africa for over twice that long.

Nope, not true.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 03, 2011, 03:12:51 AM

Nope, not true.

No, you're technically right.  They needed boats to cross from the attached Indonesian peninsula to Sahul (the greatly enlarged Australian landmass), if not particularly good ones.  And they only walked from there to modern Australia.

But there's a pretty big difference between the crossings needed to reach Sahul and the one needed to reach Madagascar.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

:lol:

Come on. It's gotta be an elaborate hoax.

[Edited for clarity. REALLY, TIMMAY?]

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2011, 03:22:22 AM

Nope, not true.

No, you're technically right.  They needed boats to cross from the attached Indonesian peninsula to Sahul (the greatly enlarged Australian landmass), if not particularly good ones.  And they only walked from there to modern Australia.

But there's a pretty big difference between the crossings needed to reach Sahul and the one needed to reach Madagascar.
Give me some #s on those distances.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

My understanding has always been that you did indeed only need basic boats to get to Australia back in the day, not ocean going vessels like Madagascar.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 03, 2011, 04:16:29 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2011, 03:22:22 AM

Nope, not true.

Give me some #s on those distances.

You like maps more than I do, you do it.

Madagascar, as near as I can tell (from a crappy little map of the Upper Paleolithic that google seems to have cached or whatever the technical term is, but is broken), was at roughly its modern distance from the mainland.
Kinemalogue

Norgy

Do you think bmolsson walked from Sweden to Indonesia during the Ice Age?  :hmm:

The Brain

Quote from: Norgy on July 03, 2011, 07:47:08 AM
Do you think bmolsson walked from Sweden to Indonesia during the Ice Age?  :hmm:

Honestly? No.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

I think he probably used the in house golf cart moving between gates while in transit at Changi Airport in Singapore. Walk; no.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

It is a possibility. After all, you can be a Swede  (requiring only that you have visited however briefly) despite lacking an ethnic connection and a passport.  :hmm:

HisMajestyBOB

Shockingly so, really.  I can't understand the mindset that says, "let's spend half a year in an canoe looking for shit that may or may not exist!"  Although I guess a lot of discoveries were made because they got lost or were tossed off course by accident.

I think some cases may have  been exile - a major political family that loses a power struggle might be told to sail away. I'm pretty sure I read or saw that somewhere, but I can't remember where.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Crazy_Ivan80

odd that no one has mentioned antarctica.

iirc, wheren't there people living there permantently? Chileans I believe.

Slargos

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 03, 2011, 12:31:20 PM
odd that no one has mentioned antarctica.

iirc, wheren't there people living there permantently? Chileans I believe.

Not that odd. There is no permanence about the settlements on Antarctica so it falls outside of the scope of the question.