News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

True Terra Nullius

Started by Viking, July 02, 2011, 09:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Razgovory

They originally seemed to have come from Taiwan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2011, 12:41:35 PM

So Madagascar, Southeast Asia, and all of Polynesia are all traditional Chinese territory? :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Slargos

*cough*

Most of the known world was not populated by Humans before we got to it.  :sleep:

Viking

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 02, 2011, 01:32:25 PM

So Madagascar, Southeast Asia, and all of Polynesia are all traditional Chinese territory? :(

No, Taiwan was colonized and it's indigenous population oppressed and Han'ified by the Manchu Dynasty. The Taiwanese Aboriginies are almost uniformally pro independence.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on July 02, 2011, 02:01:24 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 02, 2011, 01:32:25 PM

No, Taiwan was colonized and it's indigenous population oppressed and Han'ified by the Manchu Dynasty. The Taiwanese Aboriginies are almost uniformally pro independence.

I honestly find the wide dispersion of that language group fascinating.  Some guys in little boats were a able to navigate the pacific and colonize areas between Hawaii and Madagascar.  It's probable they reached the Americas as well (but there is no direct evidence of that).  It's extremely impressive.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Yeah, really weird they got all the way from Borneo to Madagascar. Surely they must have stopped over in India and other places and their descendants there have just been wiped out?
██████
██████
██████

dps

Iceland and Greenland are the only large landmasses that qualify, I think (apparantly, the Vikings got to Greenland before the Eskimos according to some sources, though that's not exactly universally accepted). I'm not even 100% sure if either of them qualify--I'm not certain the first Viking settlers in either place were literate, though obviously some of the people who followed them were.

The other places that might qualify are either small islands (St. Helena, etc., though I guess the Falklands aren't really all that small), or were settled in what would be considered historical times, but by pre-literate peoples (New Zealand, Madagascar), or even today don't have permanent populations (Spitzbergen).

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on July 02, 2011, 03:03:26 PM
Iceland and Greenland are the only large landmasses that qualify, I think (apparantly, the Vikings got to Greenland before the Eskimos according to some sources, though that's not exactly universally accepted). I'm not even 100% sure if either of them qualify--I'm not certain the first Viking settlers in either place were literate, though obviously some of the people who followed them were.

The other places that might qualify are either small islands (St. Helena, etc., though I guess the Falklands aren't really all that small), or were settled in what would be considered historical times, but by pre-literate peoples (New Zealand, Madagascar), or even today don't have permanent populations (Spitzbergen).

There was a previous people who lived in Greenland called the Dorset.  The Eskimos wiped them out.

Richard Hakluyt

Mauritius and Reunion were uninhabited till the 16th century IIRC, they are actually quite a decent size, with a population of a million or so each.

Slargos

Spitzbergen has a permanent population.  :hmm:

Slargos

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 02, 2011, 03:15:10 PM
Mauritius and Reunion were uninhabited till the 16th century IIRC, they are actually quite a decent size, with a population of a million or so each.

They actually look like pretty good tourist destinations.  :hmm:

dps

Quote from: Slargos on July 02, 2011, 03:16:51 PM

Spitzbergen has a permanent population.  :hmm:

Hmm.  I had read in several places that it was only seasonally settled, but according to Wiki you are right.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2011, 10:19:38 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2011, 09:46:52 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2011, 09:28:26 AM
New Zealand and Madagascar were settled in the last 1000 years weren't they?

NZ I can see (although I'm still surprised), but Madagascar?  That's boggling.

Hint: closest major landmass is Africa. It wasn't settled from Africa.

I know, I looked it up.  That's weird.

Although it wasn't in the last thousand years, as asserted above it was about two thousand years ago, which makes it less weird.  I can see the island remaining undiscovered/unclaimed prior to the advent of the Arab marine, but not long afterward.

Quote from: RazI honestly find the wide dispersion of that language group fascinating.  Some guys in little boats were a able to navigate the pacific and colonize areas between Hawaii and Madagascar.  It's probable they reached the Americas as well (but there is no direct evidence of that).  It's extremely impressive.

Shockingly so, really.  I can't understand the mindset that says, "let's spend half a year in an canoe looking for shit that may or may not exist!"  Although I guess a lot of discoveries were made because they got lost or were tossed off course by accident.

Quote from: TyrYeah, really weird they got all the way from Borneo to Madagascar. Surely they must have stopped over in India and other places and their descendants there have just been wiped out?

Wiped out or absorbed.  Isn't that interchange how Hinduism got spread to Indonesia and Vietnam?  (And maybe Buddhism too, although I think for Vietnam that came indirectly via China.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2011, 02:57:28 AM
Although it wasn't in the last thousand years, as asserted above it was about two thousand years ago, which makes it less weird.

Still people managed to reach Australia 50k years ago, and modern humans lived right next store in Africa for over twice that long.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point