News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2013, 08:45:13 AM
Can't you get some of your HR stooges to do it?
I don't think I want hot, yet bitchy, women mowing my lawn.  The first part seems like it'd make the spectacle awesome, but the second more than cancels out the first.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

You have a point.

A good lawn boy is like a good scotch. Harder to find than one would believe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2013, 10:41:51 AM
You have a point.

My first lawn boy was great, actually.  But now he's a Sheriff's Deputy.  Deputy Enos, pretty much. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2013, 10:41:51 AM

[Grallon]Especially if you expect them to go down as smoothly [/Grallon]  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

It's almost like we are having a real storm here. Right now it kinda looks like a wall of water falling.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Actually just saw we're under a flash flood warning.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

We've been threatened with rain for days - DAYS - and barely a sprinkle. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

I'm trying to decide about going into the office as though it is easy to get in, I've no desire to be wet for 8 hours.

garbon

Well no longer sounds like a faucet outside so may try and head out once our flash flood warning is over. :)

garbon

It's supposed to be 80 here today. Earlier this week my building had the heat on. :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Yup, turned on the A/C last night.  This is annoying.  Doomidity has officially arrived.

Ed Anger

Yesterday was a sweaty balls day.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

It got up to 68 degrees here yesterday.  Last night it was 50.

This is the time of year Laramie is great - no students, never hot, long days.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

katmai

Supposed to snow fri night. 
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: katmai on May 16, 2013, 08:46:20 AM
Supposed to snow fri night.

FML

Quotefrom weather channel

Anchorage
Special Weather Statement in effect

EXTREMELY UNUSUAL LATE-SEASON SNOWFALL POSSIBLE FRIDAY EVENING  THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING

CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING THAT A VERY LATE-SEASON SURGE OF COLD AIR  WILL MOVE INTO SOUTHERN ALASKA ON FRIDAY. THE COLD AIR WILL INTERACT  WITH A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVING INTO THE GULF OF ALASKA CAUSING  RAIN TO CHANGE OVER TO SNOW FRIDAY AFTERNOON OR EVENING FROM THE  WESTERN KENAI PENINSULA TO ANCHORAGE AND THE MAT-SU.  THERE ARE QUITE A FEW UNCERTAINTIES WITH THIS STORM

INCLUDING THE  ARRIVAL TIME OF THE COLD AIR AND HOW INTENSE THE PRECIPITATION WILL  BE. THE INTENSITY OF SNOWFALL WILL BE THE KEY TO WHETHER SNOW  IS ABLE TO STICK TO THE GROUND AND ACCUMULATE.  CURRENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT THE HIGHEST LIKELIHOOD OF ACCUMULATING  SNOW WILL BE FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY MORNING. IT IS  TOO SOON TO FORECAST SNOWFALL AMOUNTS

BUT WE CAN SAY THAT THE  HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF ANCHORAGE AND THE MAT-SU (INCLUDING THE  ANCHORAGE HILLSIDE) HAVE THE HIGHEST POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATING  SNOW. GRASSY AREAS WILL BE THE FIRST TO SEE SNOW BEGIN TO  ACCUMULATE

WITH PAVED SURFACES TAKING THE LONGEST TO COOL DOWN  ENOUGH FOR SNOW TO STICK.  THERE ARE ONLY TWO INSTANCES IN THE RECORD BOOKS WHERE MEASURABLE  SNOWFALL WAS RECORDED IN ANCHORAGE (AT THE OFFICIAL CLIMATE STATION)  DURING THE 2ND HALF OF MAY. THESE OCCURRED ON MAY 17 1989 AND MAY  22 1964. BOTH OF THESE STORMS DEPOSITED 0.2 INCHES OF SNOWFALL.  THE UPCOMING STORM HAS A GOOD CHANCE OF PRODUCING THE LARGEST  SNOWFALL IN THE 2ND HALF OF MAY SINCE RECORDS BEGAN IN 1917.  ADDITIONALLY

IF ANY MEASURABLE SNOWFALL AT ALL OCCURS THIS WEEKEND  IT WOULD MAKE THE 2012-2013 SNOW SEASON THE LONGEST SINCE RECORDS  BEGAN. THE SNOW SEASON IS DEFINED AS THE NUMBER OF DAYS BETWEEN THE  FIRST AND LAST MEASURABLE SNOWFALLS OF THE SEASON. THE CURRENT RECORD  IS HELD BY THE 1981-1982 SNOW SEASON WHERE 230 DAYS ELAPSED BETWEEN  THE FIRST AND LAST SNOWFALL.
AS MENTIONED EARLIER THERE IS STILL QUITE A BIT OF UNCERTAINTY  WITH THE DETAILS OF THE APPROACHING STORM. OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS SHOULD  PREPARE FOR THE LATE SEASON COLD AND SNOW BEFORE HEADING OUT. PLEASE  STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST NATIONAL WEATHER FORECASTS FOR THE MOST  UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS UNUSUAL LATE SEASON EVENT.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son