News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

It gets so muggy here. I can deal with the winter (I'm insulated :P ). But come summer I'm not a happy camper.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on May 25, 2021, 08:58:02 PM
It gets so muggy here. I can deal with the winter (I'm insulated :P ). But come summer I'm not a happy camper.

Now there is wet snow falling! 😄

Damn.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

haha, you beat me, i was just about to post that its snowing now. there was a few minutes of hail too. Canada, gotta love it :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

KRonn

After a warm and sometimes hot week, Friday was cool like an Autumn day, turning to heavy rain overnight. Raining today, mostly light rain with off and on rain Sunday and into Monday. Cool temps.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2021, 12:15:49 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2021, 12:15:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2021, 12:02:41 PM
Texas is the Alberta of the US

I mean it did snow here this year.

Exactly
it snows everywhere in the country during Wintier, except in lowland southern B.C..  I figure those that live close to the Alaska border do get some snow come winter.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Officially Warm here.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2021, 08:45:20 PM
It was raining all day and has now indeed switched to snow.  Seems set to snow all night.

Sigh.

Remember this?  When it snowed 2 weeks ago?

We're now getting a heat warning for Wednesday through Friday with daytime highs of 28-35C.

:lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2021, 02:10:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2021, 08:45:20 PM
It was raining all day and has now indeed switched to snow.  Seems set to snow all night.

Sigh.

Remember this?  When it snowed 2 weeks ago?

We're now getting a heat warning for Wednesday through Friday with daytime highs of 28-35C.

:lol:

Same here - see the wet snow post above, May 25. Crazy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

It is consistently about 4C or 5C cooler and rainy every day with no end in sight. I am not sure what to make of it. It would usually be 32C or hotter and sunny every day by this time or year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2021, 02:47:23 PM
It is consistently about 4C or 5C cooler and rainy every day with no end in sight. I am not sure what to make of it. It would usually be 32C or hotter and sunny every day by this time or year.

Maybe the climate is trying to 'tell' us something? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Valmy, are you guys ok?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

The problem in the winter was not really with the grid and how it was designed but with generators not weatherizing to try to save money. Basically making what would be a wise risk in a market economy, which was what we designed our energy markets to be.

The June thing is just the normal summer crunch that happens every year. They may be misquoting ERCOT there.

This whole we let market prices drive energy may not be very politically sustainable. California has also had problems with it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

But I thought the Invisible Hand will take care of everything? :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on June 15, 2021, 01:11:17 PM

Sometimes the Invisible Hand makes a fist and then...gets kinda kinky.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 15, 2021, 01:11:17 PM

Well the invisible hand does make things very efficient...but if you operate a grid that way then you might some politically damaging results. I mean is it efficient to have rarely used peaker infrastructure that might be only used a few times a year? No. Is it efficient to spend resources on weatherization that might only be useful for you a few days a decade? No.

But the needs of the market and the needs of the politicians are different. They need inefficient uses of resources to make sure there never are any issues. Those mean tweets don't bother the market but they sure bother the politicians.