News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Apparently, some in Texas are blaming wind turbines for the outages. The allegation is that these turbines cannot stand the weather.

This seems odd to me, as we have turbines in Canada where cold and snow are common, and they appear to work. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

The mayor of Colorado City, TX, has resigned after reactions to his Facebook post:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

i think his wife was fired too.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2021, 12:10:29 PM
The mayor of Colorado City, TX, has resigned after reactions to his Facebook post:

He's obviously a dick, but isn't this kind of the American conservative ideal? Or am I confusing it with prepper nuttyness?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Liep on February 18, 2021, 12:27:40 PM
He's obviously a dick, but isn't this kind of the American conservative ideal? Or am I confusing it with prepper nuttyness?

Many modern GOP supporters are worried about one thing: someone they don't like getting something they don't "deserve".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

I would say it's the ideal for Trumpist conservatives, who only care about themselves, their own families, and their wallets, and fuck everyone else, yeah.

I think you can be a traditional conservative and still care about other people, though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

traditional conservative care about people, but only "their" people, and don't want the government to help, but things like charity.as long as its someone else doing the charity. at least that's how it always appeared to me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on February 18, 2021, 12:47:40 PM
traditional conservative care about people, but only "their" people, and don't want the government to help, but things like charity.as long as its someone else doing the charity. at least that's how it always appeared to me.

The traditional conservative point of view is that of course we care about people, and in some cases maybe the government is the one to do it, but in lots of other situations it should be handled by family, friends, charities, churches and other local such groups.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 18, 2021, 09:38:15 AM
Valmy, does ERCOT really only have 2 interconnection point?

We try to limit that to keep those dirty feds outside of our jurisdiction. And the ones we have are mostly for export...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on February 18, 2021, 09:26:30 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2021, 04:15:29 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 17, 2021, 11:12:10 PM
:hmm: Don't you work for a utility?

No. I work for the Utility Commission hence my bemoaning this disgrace to it.

The next year or so at work should be fun.

commission? sound ominous. what does it actually do?

The Public Utilities Commission. We regulate water, telephone (what few landlines still exist), and electricity. But for our power group we are mostly concerned with the transmission and distribution networks since generation is supposed to be answering to market forces so doesn't need much government oversight...or so the theory went.

I mean you would expect some transmission and distribution problems in a major storm like this but the generation problems might mean some big rethinking of how we do things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2021, 02:04:06 PM

I mean you would expect some transmission and distribution problems in a major storm like this but the generation problems might mean some big rethinking of how we do things.

Well, you could do a big rethink.

On the other hand - you could blame the libs, and take a vacation to Mexico. That seems a lot easier! 😉
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2021, 02:39:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2021, 02:04:06 PM

Well, you could do a big rethink.

On the other hand - you could blame the libs, and take a vacation to Mexico. That seems a lot easier! 😉

I mean for actual thinking people. Tons of people had their spin ready to go despite not knowing anything of course :lol:

This was because of scary new technology!
This was because of insufficient regulations!

Blah blah

But the actual solutions may turn out to be subtle or they may be radical. I don't know yet.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2021, 01:41:28 PM

:lol:

Goddamn Ted don't back down own this and be a legend
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

:lol: I thought endorsing the man who called his wife ugly and alleged his dad was involved in the assassination of JFK was the most cowardly thing Cruz could do.

Turns out it's throwing his kids under the bus in a scandal :o
Let's bomb Russia!