And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2020, 12:00:43 PM
Current temp is -36c at 10am.

Apparently it was cold enough to cause one of the LRT rails to crack, which led to an extra half hour being added on to my commute this morning. <_<

I told the team working on Edmonton LRT this; they said they were going to check to see if they could have Edmonton moved about five hours south.   ;)

They do have to design the rail differently in Edmonton than in the other projects I've worked on due to the potential for extreme cold.  I guess it wasn't enough in this case; that surprises me knowing how much we have to over-design everything.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on January 17, 2020, 02:35:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2020, 12:00:43 PM
Current temp is -36c at 10am.

Apparently it was cold enough to cause one of the LRT rails to crack, which led to an extra half hour being added on to my commute this morning. <_<

I told the team working on Edmonton LRT this; they said they were going to check to see if they could have Edmonton moved about five hours south.   ;)

They do have to design the rail differently in Edmonton than in the other projects I've worked on due to the potential for extreme cold.  I guess it wasn't enough in this case; that surprises me knowing how much we have to over-design everything.

I have to hand it to whomever was outside working to fix the rails in  that cold (and at night!) - they had it repaired within about 24 hours or so.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

The snow, she comin down pretty good now boss.

mongers

Snow drops and crocuses out.

Start of February Daffodils are coming out here a month early; Nature thinks Spring has arrived.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

7F right now, gonna drop to -6 tonight.  Then shoot up to 40 on Saturday.  Crazy.

Looks like Phil called it. :)

KRonn

Cold here today too, but weather lately has been warmish - in the 40sF. Lots of rain this week. But this time of year the sun is higher in the sky and because of that it almost feels like the beginning of Spring.

Caliga

No accumulating snowfall at all this year so far.  Global warming = TEH FAKE  :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Spring here, nearly everything is growing.

If only it would stop raining for a week or two.  <_<

Liep

Quote from: Liep on November 20, 2019, 04:50:39 AM
Forecast for the winter 19/20: 8 degrees day and night with high chance of drizzle.

Denmark :wub:

If the Gods are mild we might be able to confirm the existence of the sun by spots of lesser dense clouds appearing slightly back lit.

It's been slightly colder than that, about 4 degrees, and the drizzle has been replaced proper rain almost every day. That and the constant 12m/s westerly wind has flooded several parts of Denmark

I recant my previous :wub: and replace it with a :mad:.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on February 22, 2020, 02:23:15 PM
Quote from: Liep on November 20, 2019, 04:50:39 AM
Forecast for the winter 19/20: 8 degrees day and night with high chance of drizzle.

Denmark :wub:

If the Gods are mild we might be able to confirm the existence of the sun by spots of lesser dense clouds appearing slightly back lit.

It's been slightly colder than that, about 4 degrees, and the drizzle has been replaced proper rain almost every day. That and the constant 12m/s westerly wind has flooded several parts of Denmark

I recant my previous :wub: and replace it with a :mad:.

:D

Liep

The record has been broken: wettest February ever in Denmark! And the forecast has 6 days of rain ahead.  :showoff:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

:mad: and   :showoff: don't seem very complementary.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Warm today for February, 40s (7c) up to maybe 50 (10). Going to get some rain or rain/snow mix a couple days this week, probably some snow in northern New England.

Malthus

It actually feels like spring is in the air here in Toronto.

My guess is that the weather is just softening us up for a massive ice storm.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius