News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Strauss-Kahn Case Seen as in Jeopardy

Started by Martinus, July 01, 2011, 02:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

It's unfortunate if he would be released.  I think this case was a good example of how US justice applies to everyone, and it would be a shame to waste that example.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on July 01, 2011, 07:46:52 AM
It's unfortunate if he would be released.  I think this case was a good example of how US justice applies to everyone, and it would be a shame to waste that example.

Plus we can't release him now. He probably takes a dim view of the American way at this point, and if becomes president France may not support us on our next stupid military adventure, or close the McDonalds on the Champs Elysees.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2011, 08:06:00 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 01, 2011, 07:46:52 AM

Plus we can't release him now. He probably takes a dim view of the American way at this point, and if becomes president France may not support us on our next stupid military adventure, or close the McDonalds on the Champs Elysees.

How would we tell the difference?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I wonder if the maid was convinced to become unreliable after getting a couple of sacks with dollar signs on them, with money inside.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2011, 09:07:54 AM

When the golden arches no longer tower over the champs elysses, we will know.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2011, 09:18:59 AM

They don't really support us on military adventures.  The whole Libyan thing was their idea.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2011, 09:20:06 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2011, 09:18:59 AM

They don't really support us on military adventures.  The whole Libyan thing was their idea.

:frusty: I know this Raz. My post wasn't serious.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on July 01, 2011, 02:25:27 AM
Oh, btw, if these charges are dropped, I can be totally racist, sexist and classist about it, right? Because I plan to.  :cool:

You've never displayed class before, so perhaps this is a new thing for you.

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2011, 09:22:45 AM

:frusty: I know this Raz. My post wasn't serious.

You should know, Raz is extremely literal minded.  This has caused problems before.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2011, 09:29:54 AM

You should know, Raz is extremely literal minded.  This has caused problems before.

:thumbsup: No problems.

Drakken

Quote from: Martinus on July 01, 2011, 02:13:22 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/01/nyregion/strauss-kahn-case-seen-as-in-jeopardy.html?_r=1&hp

Ok, after everything, especially the "perp walk", if the case is dropped, heads should roll in a lot of high places.

I wonder if this means DSK could reenter the French presidential race. I may be wrong about the French, but I would expect this actually may make him more popular at home.

Heads have already rolled. The head of NYPD's sex crimes unit has already resigned for reasons unknown.

Drakken

Quote from: DGuller on July 01, 2011, 09:11:32 AM
I wonder if the maid was convinced to become unreliable after getting a couple of sacks with dollar signs on them, with money inside.

She is deemed unreliable because they have discovered that she consorts with a drug dealer currently in prion for possession of hundreds of pounds of marijuana, owns several cell phones, and has significant amounts of money transiting from that guy in her bank account, despite her working as a mere hotel maid. Plus, she has lied to immigration in her asylum papers.

She has links with the criminal underworld that she hadn't revealed to the police in the past, and possibilities of her conspiring to blackmail DSK for money. It's understandable they don't want to present a victim who is capable of committing perjury. Doesn't mean she hasn't been raped. After all, whores, molls and drug addicts do get raped. However, it seriously undermines her credibility in what amounts to a "he said, she said" cause.

My prediction : plea bargain.

MadImmortalMan

Moral: Don't get raped by someone with powerful connections.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 01, 2011, 11:39:45 AM
or did get involved with drug trafficers, launder money, and otherwise help them out or you wont be believed.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Slargos

Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2011, 12:00:12 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 01, 2011, 11:39:45 AM
or did get involved with drug trafficers, launder money, and otherwise help them out or you wont be believed.

And if you must still get raped, for the love of everything that's holy, don't discuss over the phone how much money you can squeeze out of this.  :lol: