Main Menu

Strauss-Kahn Case Seen as in Jeopardy

Started by Martinus, July 01, 2011, 02:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Slargos on July 01, 2011, 12:14:06 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2011, 12:00:12 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 01, 2011, 11:39:45 AM
Moral: Don't get raped by someone with powerful connections.
or did get involved with drug trafficers, launder money, and otherwise help them out or you wont be believed.

And if you must still get raped, for the love of everything that's holy, don't discuss over the phone how much money you can squeeze out of this.  :lol:
well yes, but that's a given whether or not you're into illegal activities :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

I can't help but think that Strauss-Kahn is getting off because he's rich and powerful.  Poor people in US don't get off on a rape charge just because their victim lied about the whole thing.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on July 01, 2011, 12:19:48 PM
I can't help but think that Strauss-Kahn is getting off because he's rich and powerful.  Poor people in US don't get off on a rape charge just because their victim lied about the whole thing.

What about those Duke Lacrosse players.. Oh wait.

Kobe Bryant? Nevermind.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Siege

Quote from: DGuller on July 01, 2011, 09:11:32 AM
I wonder if the maid was convinced to become unreliable after getting a couple of sacks with dollar signs on them, with money inside.

That was my first thought.

Not that I think.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Drakken

His status certainly helped in having his bail conditions softened in a make-up gesture, at least.

That said, the charges still stand. So either the prosecution has an ace up their sleeves, or the attorney-general wants to go all-in on this case.

Valdemar

On the other hand, why shouldn't he get of based on her lying JUST because he is rich and powerful?

he is French, if there had been ANY way possible to convict him, despite being rich and powerful, I'm sure they would have found it :D

The whole stage show around his arrest, court appearance, and subsequent cries of her lilly white life, made my stomach churn, and surely had he been a mere wall street banker none ofthis would have been blown this far out of proportions.

For that alone I can't help to feel a little glleful that the case is unraveling.

Still if he has raped her, then medical examinations should show it, she was examined mere hours after the deed, and physical evidence on her dress shouldat least prove intercourse. And as such he should be convicted and condemned. but not on a public gaol, and certainly not until the judge has spoken.

V

V

HVC

Quote from: Drakken on July 01, 2011, 12:57:26 PM

That said, the charges still stand. So either the prosecution has an ace up their sleeves, or the attorney-general wants to go all-in on this case.
Prosecution can't dismis now. if they do they are saying the wrongfully ruined a mans life. if they prosecute and win they come out as "hero's" for the everyday men and women how go after the rich as the y would the poor. if they lose then people who think he's innocent will be comforted the justice won while those who think he's guilty will blame his money but fall back on "at least justice tried". there is no going back.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2011, 01:32:27 PM
Quote from: Drakken on July 01, 2011, 12:57:26 PM

Prosecution can't dismis now. if they do they are saying the wrongfully ruined a mans life. if they prosecute and win they come out as "hero's" for the everyday men and women how go after the rich as the y would the poor. if they lose then people who think he's innocent will be comforted the justice won while those who think he's guilty will blame his money but fall back on "at least justice tried". there is no going back.
That tactic certainly didn't work for Mike Nifong.

I don't think prosecution did anything wrong.  Given the information they had at the time, they did the right thing.  They were also the ones who uncovered discrediting evidence against the alleged victim, so they can't be blamed for trying to railroad DSK at all costs.  The perp walk thing was silly and distasteful, but it's silly and distasteful in every circumstance, not just in cases of wrongful arrest, and prosecutors aren't even in charge of that.

HVC

ya, but nifong went a hell of a lot further then just prosecuting. the only one who wins in this  scenario is the american rish business man who decides to go to france and ends up raping someone.

HVC

oh, and i'm not saying the did anything wrong either, i'm just saying they're stuck. dismiss and piss off everyone, go ahead and only piss off half the people (and by losing pissing off even less people, i think)

garbon

Quote from: Valdemar on July 01, 2011, 01:29:58 PM

On the other hand, why shouldn't he get of based on her lying JUST because he is rich and powerful?

he is French, if there had been ANY way possible to convict him, despite being rich and powerful, I'm sure they would have found it :D

The whole stage show around his arrest, court appearance, and subsequent cries of her lilly white life, made my stomach churn, and surely had he been a mere wall street banker none ofthis would have been blown this far out of proportions.

For that alone I can't help to feel a little glleful that the case is unraveling.

Still if he has raped her, then medical examinations should show it, she was examined mere hours after the deed, and physical evidence on her dress shouldat least prove intercourse. And as such he should be convicted and condemned. but not on a public gaol, and certainly not until the judge has spoken.

V

V

Oh so now it is the media's fault?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2011, 03:43:12 PM
Quote from: Valdemar on July 01, 2011, 01:29:58 PM

V

V

Oh so now it is the media's fault?
Valdemar dost protest too much, methinks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 01, 2011, 07:44:23 AM
Mart, have you considered that this might simply be an OJ Simpson redux?  Overenthusiastic prosecution tries to ram a conviction through only to find unrecoverable major holes in their case too late?

Sure, we've got innocent until proven guilty, but that applies to false charges, too- nothing in the article says that she wasn't raped, just that she's turned out to not be a credible witness.

It's telling that they're expecting an attempt to plea bargain a misdemeanor- they still believe something happened, just that they can't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

I thought it said he is going to resist the misdemeanor charge - I read it as the prosecutors' desperate attempt to save face.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on July 01, 2011, 09:11:32 AM
I wonder if the maid was convinced to become unreliable after getting a couple of sacks with dollar signs on them, with money inside.

I don't think they use these sacks outside of movies and such.  :huh:

Martinus

Rich people do not commit rape or other crimes, because they are rich and thus don't have to do this. It's basic logic.

On the other hand, the poor are morally inferior, and as such, all likely criminals and unreliable.