And we're back!

Main Menu

The Future Mother-in-law draws blood.

Started by mongers, June 30, 2011, 01:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Brazen

Reading between the lines, Freddie is gay. If not now, he will be driven to it soon.

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on June 30, 2011, 10:31:41 PM
Rude or not, you'll not catch me eating anything that's festooned with onions and/or peppers. No point taking a bite as I know I won't like it, as I know that there is not a single way that onions or peppers can be cooked that I will like them. So if someone serves it, I simply pass the bowl along (if served family style) or say, "No, thank you" if being served by someone. If asked, I will say that I dislike onions and peppers. I don't consider it rude to state a preference, or lack thereof.
That's a relatively low order of rudeness, and not at all uncommon, so you will not create much of a fuss by indulging it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Lol, this upcoming marriage isn't quite starting off overly well, now is it!?   :huh:

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on July 01, 2011, 09:27:42 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 01, 2011, 05:31:25 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 30, 2011, 11:20:54 PM
I wish I had one.  <_<
FUN FACT: Onions and peppers are delicious. :)

Espec. if sauteed or roasted :contract:

:x :x :x

I have tried oh so hard to like them because, well, they're in just about every fucking thing in American cooking. But I can't. I really, really can't. I like scallions okay, and leeks are one of my favorite foods, but yellow, white, and purple onions? Oh Christ. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about them.

:x
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

I have a co-worker who hates onions, garlic and anything spicy. She has trouble finding things for lunch in restaurants' menus, unless she goes for schnitzel+fries or pizza.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

I love onions, cooked that is. I have no desire for uncooked onions such as in salads. But I cook onions mix in with a lot in other foods like beef stew, some vegetable dishes.

MadImmortalMan

You like scallions and leeks but not onions?  :lol:

That defies logic.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Slargos on June 30, 2011, 02:24:58 PM
Sounds a bit exaggerated, but while some of the complaints may seem quaint it also does seem like the girl may be a bit of a chav.  :hmm:

Not helping yourself to seconds is the only one that stands out.  I have a suspicion that the would-be mother-in-law is being a twit and that the diabetes and "announcing what you will and will not eat" are closely linked; the tone came across like "I've got nothing against diabetes, some of my best friends have diabetes..."  Actually, if she's hypoglacemic, that would also explain the asking for more food and starting early.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Also, I'm kind of interested to hear how many people are complaining about having been in the girl's position- my problem has always been that we're kind of like Freddie's family- the money left the family a couple generations ago, and some of the sticks in the mud haven't gotten the message yet.  Only run-in I've ever had where S' family needed to say something to me was on chewing with my mouth open (an old jaw injury from a fistfight in grade school makes it hard for me to chew easily sometimes).
Experience bij!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: merithyn on June 30, 2011, 10:31:41 PMRude or not, you'll not catch me eating anything that's festooned with onions and/or peppers.

And you call yourself Mexican?  :P

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on July 01, 2011, 10:19:33 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 01, 2011, 09:27:42 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 01, 2011, 05:31:25 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 30, 2011, 11:20:54 PM
I wish I had one.  <_<
FUN FACT: Onions and peppers are delicious. :)

Espec. if sauteed or roasted :contract:

:x :x :x

I have tried oh so hard to like them because, well, they're in just about every fucking thing in American cooking. But I can't. I really, really can't. I like scallions okay, and leeks are one of my favorite foods, but yellow, white, and purple onions? Oh Christ. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about them.

:x

That's madness.   :wacko:

But it goes to show that sometimes once someone makes up their mind no matter of logic or reason will change it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017