And we're back!

Main Menu

The Future Mother-in-law draws blood.

Started by mongers, June 30, 2011, 01:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipwich

Quote from: grumbler on June 30, 2011, 05:10:05 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 30, 2011, 05:05:41 PM
Nothing wrong with saying "no thank you, I dislike potatoes." Other than the part about disliking potatoes.  :wacko:
Better to nibble a bit, and leave the rest uneaten.  The message is sent, and if the cook wants to know why you are not eating them, he or she can ask.  That's when you say you don't care for potatoes in general (and, if diplomatic, may say this even though you do like potatoes that are prepared more skillfully than those on your plate).

Incorrect. The cook pays attention to what dishes are eaten by the family as a whole, not individuals. And one should never feel compelled to eat food they don't like.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on June 30, 2011, 05:12:17 PM
I assume that when the cow says "You do not start before everyone else", the implication is that the bride did start before everyone else.  I assume that she did not just pick out rules at random from some social etiquette book and pasted it in an e-mail.
Start what? Start drinking tea before the eldest person there started drinking hers?  Is that even a rule of etiquette?  "Starting first" isn't a behavior, it is a condition.

The Cow picked out insults and then backed those with vague admonitions and condescensions.  The bride may, indeed, have been at fault, but I don't take The Cow's word for it unsupported.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: chipwich on June 30, 2011, 05:22:29 PM
Incorrect. The cook pays attention to what dishes are eaten by the family as a whole, not individuals. And one should never feel compelled to eat food they don't like.
Incorrect.  One should at least taste everything placed before them unless religious or dietary rules preclude.  One cannot know whether they like a food in front of them without tasting it.  Even asparagus tastes good if absolutely fresh and prepared properly. 

Every cook I have had serve me knew what I ate and didn't eat.  Obviously, professional cooks back in the kitchen didn't, but they aren't entitled to know why I didn't care for something.

One doesn't have to have a large taste, and one shouldn't feel compelled to take more than that taste, I agree.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on June 30, 2011, 05:12:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 30, 2011, 05:11:30 PM
Almost seems too much to be true-- I feel like I should check snopes before I decide to take it seriously.

That having been said, some of the trivial crap sounds similar to what I dealt with back in Delaware when I dated this one girl pretty seriously.  Her mom seemed a little odd from the beginning, and had a strict midnight curfew on her even though she was in her early 20s.  I won't even go into her rabid Catholicism.  But the rest of her family seemed to be pretty laid back.

Well, apparently after attending 2 or 3 of her family get-togethers, she started getting complaints from her grandma, uncles, and mom about how rude I acted.  Which caught me a bit off-guard as I didn't pick up on one bit of it.  Apparently my faux-pas were: not greeting elder family members before they greeted me, not raving enough about how awesome her grandma's mediocre spaghetti was, how I didn't finish every morsel of food on my plate, how I had the nerve to bring  Chilean wine to an Italian meal (???), and probably some other stuff I've purposely forgotten.  These were apparently some serious transgressions in her family.

All this stuff was apparently "Italian family tradition", though I've never gotten any other Italian-Americans or even real Italians to corroborate.  This is aside from the fact that her grandma was only half Italian and that got diluted with the following two generations.

America blows.

Only time someone said something to my face was when her grandma freaked out about my gf's baby cousin getting close to a mirror when she was crawling on the floor.  I explained to her how the mirror was securely anchored to the wall, but she freaked out even more.  Turns out she was freaking out due to some stupid-ass superstition about babies dying if they see their own reflection in mirrors.

After a while, the warning signs really started to pile up.  Glad I never married into that family.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Camerus

The mother-in-law is a bitch, and the bride-to-be is likely (80%) vulgar and annoying.  Either way, you have to feel sorry for the guy.   :lol:

Though I suppose, he could deserve this girl.   :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on June 30, 2011, 05:10:05 PM
Better to nibble a bit, and leave the rest uneaten.  The message is sent, and if the cook wants to know why you are not eating them, he or she can ask.  That's when you say you don't care for potatoes in general (and, if diplomatic, may say this even though you do like potatoes that are prepared more skillfully than those on your plate).

Seems wasteful to take food you're not going to eat. /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on June 30, 2011, 08:59:09 PM

Only time someone said something to my face was when her grandma freaked out about my gf's baby cousin getting close to a mirror when she was crawling on the floor.  I explained to her how the mirror was securely anchored to the wall, but she freaked out even more.  Turns out she was freaking out due to some stupid-ass superstition about babies dying if they see their own reflection in mirrors.

After a while, the warning signs really started to pile up.  Glad I never married into that family.

Well, infants are almost universally ugly.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on June 30, 2011, 05:31:42 PM
Incorrect.  One should at least taste everything placed before them unless religious or dietary rules preclude.  One cannot know whether they like a food in front of them without tasting it.  Even asparagus tastes good if absolutely fresh and prepared properly. 

Every cook I have had serve me knew what I ate and didn't eat.  Obviously, professional cooks back in the kitchen didn't, but they aren't entitled to know why I didn't care for something.

One doesn't have to have a large taste, and one shouldn't feel compelled to take more than that taste, I agree.

Rude or not, you'll not catch me eating anything that's festooned with onions and/or peppers. No point taking a bite as I know I won't like it, as I know that there is not a single way that onions or peppers can be cooked that I will like them. So if someone serves it, I simply pass the bowl along (if served family style) or say, "No, thank you" if being served by someone. If asked, I will say that I dislike onions and peppers. I don't consider it rude to state a preference, or lack thereof.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

:weep:

I weep for an onion and pepper deprived life.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 30, 2011, 10:43:40 PM
:weep:

I weep for an onion and pepper deprived life.

I wish I had one.  <_<

Instead, I end up with a slew of people who seem to think that they can make food with them in it, and I magically will just not notice. "I made my famous shepherd's pie for you! And don't worry; I shredded the onions so you won't taste them! You'll love it!"  :yuk: :yuk:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Habbaku

I do hope that, one day, Meri's palate will mature and she will enjoy the fruits of the fields.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Slargos

Quote from: merithyn on June 30, 2011, 10:31:41 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 30, 2011, 05:31:42 PM

Rude or not, you'll not catch me eating anything that's festooned with onions and/or peppers. No point taking a bite as I know I won't like it, as I know that there is not a single way that onions or peppers can be cooked that I will like them. So if someone serves it, I simply pass the bowl along (if served family style) or say, "No, thank you" if being served by someone. If asked, I will say that I dislike onions and peppers. I don't consider it rude to state a preference, or lack thereof.

We already know that you yanks are a vulgar, ignorant and rude crowd. You don't need to elaborate on all the little details.  :P

Slargos

Quote from: merithyn on June 30, 2011, 11:20:54 PM
And don't worry; I shredded the onions so you won't taste them! You'll love it!"  :yuk: :yuk:

:lol:

I love that one. My parents used to pull it all the time. It was never true.  :D

Of course, I eventually grew out of being a picky fucking child. :contract:

Eddie Teach

Pretty much every dish I know incorporates onions and peppers.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 01, 2011, 01:21:48 AM
Pretty much every dish I know incorporates onions and peppers.  :lol:

We already know that you yanks are a vulgar, ignorant and rude crowd. You don't need to elaborate on all the little details.  :P