News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When do you raise taxes?

Started by Razgovory, June 28, 2011, 12:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2011, 07:16:51 PM
Why was the bubble that occurred in the 1990's also see increase in wages while the one in the Bush administration see a decrease in wages?

I give up.  Why was the bubble that occurred in the 1990's also see increase in wages while the one in the Bush administration see a decrease in wages?

CountDeMoney

Watch it, Raz! He's maneuvering!

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 28, 2011, 07:42:04 PM
Watch it, Raz! He's maneuvering!

I don't know, I'm having trouble parsing that gobbledegook too.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2011, 07:22:01 PM
Why was the bubble that occurred in the 1990's also see increase in wages while the one in the Bush administration see a decrease in wages?

I give up.  Why was the bubble that occurred in the 1990's also see increase in wages while the one in the Bush administration see a decrease in wages?

Quitter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Exploding executive compensation skewing the averages up probably. Sarbanes-Oxley had a big effect later. (Post-2002)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2011, 07:44:38 PM
Quitter.

Explain the rules to me and I'll see if I can keep on playing.

Eddie Teach

The only rule is there are no rules.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 28, 2011, 07:50:06 PM

Exploding executive compensation skewing the averages up probably. Sarbanes-Oxley had a big effect later. (Post-2002)

Did executive compensation decline in the 2000's?  Wages went down about 1,000 bucks during this period.  During the 1990's it was a rising tide raises all boats thing.  In the 2000's it was not for some reason.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2011, 08:56:30 PM

Did executive compensation decline in the 2000's?  Wages went down about 1,000 bucks during this period.  During the 1990's it was a rising tide raises all boats thing.  In the 2000's it was not for some reason.

I have no idea. It's a complete guess. I suspect the income averages were boosted by the executive incomes in the dot com 90's and then less so in the 2000s, partly because of restrictions in SOX and the tech crash. That may or may not explain the difference.

Ideologue

Pretty much at any point in the entire history of America, I would raise taxes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2011, 12:29:09 PM
All this talk about fiscal responsibility and such makes me wonder.  When do you raise taxes?  Grover Norquist apparently said "never" last night on the Colbert Report.  I wonder if that is actually the conservative position.
Never say never...

What Valmy said in the first page.

Every new government program should be self financed, or be acompanied by a tax hike right away.

In Quebec, the government is in the habit of introducing a "free" or low cost program only to raise the fees a few years later.
Figure... we had drug insurance (medications).  When it was introduced, we were told it would be financed by the existing budget and savings from mass purchases by the government at reduced prices.  The idea was that with everyone having access to low cost drugs, people would less often go to the hospital, hence the savings.

So, anyway, it started at 50$ per yer + franchise (20%).  Now it's over 600$ a year and the franchise is nearly 50%.

Same goes with state sponsored kindergardens and parental leave.  The actuarists said from the beginning the program was underfounded.  Yet, the politicans told us we wouldn't see the change... reduce the unemployement insurance and introduce a new 'parental leave tax' for the difference.  Zero sum.  No brainer.  I didn't believe them.  I was right.  It now costs 1.5x as before and it's still underfounded.  And there have been no significant results (the average number of births has increased throughout Canada, and it has increased in Quebec, but we're still in the middle of the pack).

Where does that lead us?  An increasing debt because of silly social programs that never achieve their aims.  And people vote for this, because it's "free".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

I wouldn't tie it directly to spending like that. I would prefer to run surpluses in the good years so there's a war chest for the bad ones.

Fate

You raise them when Democrats plus moderate Republicans have 60 members in the Senate. Perhaps 4-5 cycles from now?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.