News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When do you raise taxes?

Started by Razgovory, June 28, 2011, 12:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

All this talk about fiscal responsibility and such makes me wonder.  When do you raise taxes?  Grover Norquist apparently said "never" last night on the Colbert Report.  I wonder if that is actually the conservative position.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Two times:

1. When introducing an expensive new government program or venture that needs to be funded.

2. When some douchebag like Japan bombs Pearl Harbor and we need to build tanks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Funnily enough the question hasn't come up in Sweden in my lifetime. Maybe because we reached the tax stratosphere in the 70s and are slowly descending.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Right now would be really good for you Yanks. Especially in the 1mil + bracket.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Ideally never, except for emergency measures which are temporary("war taxes"). Other than that they should be at a pretty set rate which covers the government's expenses. Using tax policy to try to prod the economy seems to be more trouble than its worth.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 28, 2011, 12:50:16 PM
Ideally never, except for emergency measures which are temporary("war taxes"). Other than that they should be at a pretty set rate which covers the government's expenses. Using tax policy to try to prod the economy seems to be more trouble than its worth.  :hmm:

Yep.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 28, 2011, 12:36:08 PM
Right now would be really good for you Yanks. Especially in the 1mil + bracket.

So long as it is packaged with a series of comprehensive cuts.

MadImmortalMan

When the economy has entered strong growth mode and the level of taxation is not currently over what you consider the ideal level.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Whenever you can get away with it.

I remember the election of 2005 here well. The ruling parties said they would leave the VAT untouched. The opposition parties said they need to raise it by 2% to lower payroll taxes. In the end, the main opposition and main ruling party formed the new government and decided to raise by 3% and keep the payroll taxes.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Bluebook

Quote from: The Brain on June 28, 2011, 12:32:16 PM
Funnily enough the question hasn't come up in Sweden in my lifetime. Maybe because we reached the tax stratosphere in the 70s and are slowly descending.
Actually it happens more often than people seem to notice. Apparently you failed to notice the tax increase on alcohol and tobacco?

Also that rather infamous "värnskatt" that were added in 1990-something-something.

Bluebook

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 28, 2011, 12:52:03 PM
When the economy has entered strong growth mode and the level of taxation is not currently over what you consider the ideal level.

That sounds dreadfully irresponsible. Take greece for example. No tax raise...ever, then?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Bluebook on June 28, 2011, 01:11:10 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 28, 2011, 12:52:03 PM

That sounds dreadfully irresponsible. Take greece for example. No tax raise...ever, then?

How do you figure that?

Anyway, Greece is so far off the rails that the normal rules don't apply.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: Bluebook on June 28, 2011, 01:11:10 PM

Yeah that was that one thing Greece did to be irresponsible.

Habbaku

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 28, 2011, 12:50:16 PM

:)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien