National impact from New York marriage law: experts

Started by garbon, June 24, 2011, 10:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

So Marti is taller & skinnier then I. I do not consider myself fat.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2011, 08:27:56 AM
They have Civil Unions which is better than most states.  Glad Christie at least plans on leaving them alone.
Christie ought to sign it, if for no other reason than as a courtesy to his predecessor Jim McGreevey. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Iormlund

Quote from: Ideologue on June 26, 2011, 10:49:46 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 26, 2011, 07:24:01 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 25, 2011, 01:58:15 AM... while automation makes human labor increasingly pointless and human intelligence increasingly worthless.

:huh:

Automation not only frees humans to do more productive work but can only replace tasks where human intelligence is ALREADY worthless.

Automation frees humans qualified to do more productive work, to do more productive work.  99% of humanity is qualified to be a ditch-digger.  What fraction is qualified to be an automation engineer?

I think we have an assumption that any human intelligence is malleable enough that, with proper education and discipline, anyone is potentially qualified to participate in the economy, regardless of how advanced that economy is.  While it's based on the historical experience that the labor force has adapted to technological revolutions--hunter/gatherers become farmers, farmers become factory workers, factory workers retrain to become office workers--I don't believe the assumption that they always shall to be true.

I also sharply disagree that automation will only replace physical labor and routine tasks, and leave true, non-routine intellectual activity untouched.  But this is a separate issue, and depends on how you feel about strong AI.

Now, I am not a luddite, and I'm not attacking technological progress in itself.  All I'm attacking is the ideological notion that humans are obligatedto participate in the economy, or to participate to the extent they presently do, in order to survive, because I do not believe that this notion will be sustainable once only 75, 50, 25, or 10% of humanity is even biologically equipped to participate.  We are not a race of scientists and artists.

The goal should be (and implicitly has been for at least a hundred fifty years) to put an end to human labor.  You can only hold on to a capitalist worldview and embrace that goal at the same time if you accept the logical result of keeping to both: massive human dieback.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I didn't want to imply most humans can do creative work. I know for a fact they do not. And most of those who do are unwilling to do so. For some reason normal people try to use their brain as less as possible, which is something I always found puzzling.

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2011, 08:27:56 AM
They have Civil Unions which is better than most states.  Glad Christie at least plans on leaving them alone.

Doing anything against them would be impossible and politically suicidal.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2011, 06:52:41 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 27, 2011, 01:39:51 AM
The fact is, in a purely capitalist economy, where you are not getting paid money "for sitting on your ass and collecting a welfare check" (an anathema to many), you end up creating an unemployable, poor underclass, which is a sure recipe for a revolution.

That's an interesting fact.

If you define "fact" as a statement that is completely contrary to observed conditions.

We didn't have an underclass in this country before we had a federal welfare system.  Dirt poor people, yeah, but not a seeminly permanent underclass.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2011, 12:11:49 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2011, 06:52:41 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 27, 2011, 01:39:51 AM
The fact is, in a purely capitalist economy, where you are not getting paid money "for sitting on your ass and collecting a welfare check" (an anathema to many), you end up creating an unemployable, poor underclass, which is a sure recipe for a revolution.

That's an interesting fact.

If you define "fact" as a statement that is completely contrary to observed conditions.

We didn't have an underclass in this country before we had a federal welfare system.  Dirt poor people, yeah, but not a seeminly permanent underclass.

Do you really believe this bullshit?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2011, 12:11:49 PM

Slaves were middle-class? Even the South wasn't that bad.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2011, 12:11:49 PMWe didn't have an underclass in this country before we had a federal welfare system.  Dirt poor people, yeah, but not a seeminly permanent underclass.

So wait... how about the slaves? You don't get much more underclass than being a slave. And while slavery ended, the consensus seems to be that the former slaves and their offspring didn't experience a massive jump in class status afterwards.

But perhaps you're speaking of a federal welfare system that predates slavery?

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2011, 12:45:20 PM
Quote from: dps on June 27, 2011, 12:11:49 PMWe didn't have an underclass in this country before we had a federal welfare system.  Dirt poor people, yeah, but not a seeminly permanent underclass.

So wait... how about the slaves? You don't get much more underclass than being a slave. And while slavery ended, the consensus seems to be that the former slaves and their offspring didn't experience a massive jump in class status afterwards.

It would have to predate the US as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2011, 12:45:20 PM

If you're bringing up slavery in this, you're about a century off.  We didn't really have a welfare state until Lyndon Johnson's Great Society.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2011, 01:53:43 PM
If you're bringing up slavery in this, you're about a century off.  We didn't really have a welfare state until Lyndon Johnson's Great Society.

Blacks were the permanent underclass in the 1960s and they had been for centuries by design.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2011, 01:58:33 PM

Blacks were the permanent underclass in the 1960s and they had been for centuries by design.

Intelligent design? :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 27, 2011, 02:00:12 PM
Intelligent design? :hmm:

Some of them were pretty crafty.  The Grandfather clause was truly inspired.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

They weren't unemployable though, as in Marty's post.  Unemployment was higher among blacks than among whites, and blacks in the main couldn't get the decent jobs, but they could usually find work.  And the situation was a direct result of racial segregation, not an inevitable result of capitalism.

Jacob

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2011, 01:53:43 PMIf you're bringing up slavery in this, you're about a century off.  We didn't really have a welfare state until Lyndon Johnson's Great Society.

But it seems you're implying that the descendants of the slaves, the poor Blacks in the Northern ghettos and rural South were not a permanent underclass before Lyndon Johnson.

Which seems preposterous, to put it mildly.