National impact from New York marriage law: experts

Started by garbon, June 24, 2011, 10:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2011, 04:08:32 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 25, 2011, 02:19:52 AM

By the end of the century we may find ways to communicate with apes and have them vote in elections, as far as we know. :P

People can already communicate with apes.

And technically apes already vote in elections.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Faeelin on June 25, 2011, 07:45:39 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 25, 2011, 07:04:30 AM
Well, I'm not fat but I do struggle somewhat with my body image and wouldn't mind dropping a couple of pounds around my waist. The problem is whereas as a hetero I would be considered slim, it's not the case among gays. In fact many gays, in addition to being skinny are realy tiny. I wonder why

What's your height/weight?

181 cm, 79-81 kg.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on June 26, 2011, 06:14:47 AM
Well, I'm not fat but I do struggle somewhat with my body image and wouldn't mind dropping a couple of pounds around my waist. The problem is whereas as a hetero I would be considered slim, it's not the case among gays. In fact many gays, in addition to being skinny are realy tiny. I wonder why

181 cm, 79-81 kg.
:x
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Good for them but I really don't get the big deal about same sex marriage. Who gives a crap whether its called a marriage or a civil partnership? Its just a word. Sure, gay people should be allowed to call it a marriage if they want, but still, surely things would be a lot easier for them in getting gay marriage in some more conservative states if they let it be called a civil partnership there instead of going for the marriage word?

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2011, 08:59:53 AM
181 cm, 79-81 kg.
:unsure:
Gay people are weird, that sounds quite normal to me.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on June 26, 2011, 09:04:47 AM
Good for them but I really don't get the big deal about same sex marriage. Who gives a crap whether its called a marriage or a civil partnership? Its just a word. Sure, gay people should be allowed to call it a marriage if they want, but still, surely things would be a lot easier for them in getting gay marriage in some more conservative states if they let it be called a civil partnership there instead of going for the marriage word?

I guess there is a point about international recognition - there are international laws on treatment of marriage, whereas there are none on civil partnerships (and even countries that do not recognize some type of marriage - e.g. polygamy - have to apply certain standards). Plus there are countries - like Israel - which only recognize religious marriages and marriages recognized in other countries (I may be wrong about this one though).

Martinus

181 cm, 79-81 kg.

Troll. :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on June 26, 2011, 09:04:47 AM

Gay people are weird, that sounds quite normal to me.

Well, Marty is vain so he's probably lying a little bit.  Still, I had to find a metric converter to get a better idea of Marty's dimensions.  He's .00112 miles tall and 2857.2 ounces heavy.  Since his height is miniscule decimal number and his weight is almost 3,000 I've come to the conclusion that Marty is both very short and very fat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Martinus would be overly large were he a woman.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on June 25, 2011, 01:58:15 AM
Capitalism will continue to survive and objectivist libertards will continue to be numerous and influential enough to keep necessary reform to a minimum, even while automation makes human labor increasingly pointless and human intelligence increasingly worthless.

:lol:  The horror of automation.  Go pull a plow and tell me how that works out for you.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

181 cm, 79-81 kg.

Fuck you, S. :(

(I don't weigh that much, but the Ostmensch is taller than me somehow, and I think the BMI is roughly the same.)

Quote from: HabbakuThe horror of automation.  Go pull a plow and tell me how that works out for you.

Don't be disingenuous.  You know I have no problem with automation, but a system that does not adjust to the technology upon which it rests.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

The failure of capitalism is inextricably linked with the failure of democracy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Of course Mart is fat, his parents were profiteers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

Quote from: Ideologue on June 25, 2011, 01:58:15 AM... while automation makes human labor increasingly pointless and human intelligence increasingly worthless.

:huh:

Automation not only frees humans to do more productive work but can only replace tasks where human intelligence is ALREADY worthless.

jimmy olsen

181 cm, 79-81 kg.
Sounds completely normal, especially if he has some muscle tone.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point