News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sirius XM renewal. Should I pay?

Started by Siege, June 23, 2011, 09:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

I have it mainly to listen to news and finance type stations while driving. But I don't really listen that often so not sure if I'll keep it when my subscription is up. It would be nice on a trip in areas where radio stations are few.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2011, 09:31:07 PM
This is the first time I've heard of satellite radio. 

Yes, it is too expensive.  Tell your wife to listen to regular radio and ipod instead. 

iPod maybe.  American radio is screwed up, though; it's the only thing I know of where you can end up with 15 minutes of music after a half-hour of commercials (the sad part is I'm not exaggerating- at one point, I got fed up and clocked it with a rock station from Philly).
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

I dont spend much time in my car but I think about subscribing to Satelittle Radio often. The stations around here went thru a weird ass reconfiguration this spring & I hate every last one of them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

$90/ year doesn't seem much for an indulgence. Unless money is tight or your wife is spending money on a million other little indulgences, why not let her have the radio she enjoys?

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 24, 2011, 10:33:33 AM
(the sad part is I'm not exaggerating- at one point, I got fed up and clocked it with a rock station from Philly).
WYSP? :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

iPod maybe.  American radio is screwed up, though; it's the only thing I know of where you can end up with 15 minutes of music after a half-hour of commercials (the sad part is I'm not exaggerating- at one point, I got fed up and clocked it with a rock station from Philly).

That's why you save 5 or 6 different preset channels so you can switch away from commercials with press of a button. Sure, you might not be in the mood for country but it beats hearing Tom Shane drone on about his diamonds.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2011, 11:32:59 AM
(the sad part is I'm not exaggerating- at one point, I got fed up and clocked it with a rock station from Philly).
WYSP? :bleeding:
WMMR.  WYSP's gotten better of late; their new schtick is "the music you grew up with."  Effectively, they've swapped roles- WYSP plays the stuff from the '80s and '90s that I like (I'll catch stuff like Synchronicity back-to-back with Comfortably Numb, for example), while WMMR cranks out the newish stuff like Skillet (:bleeding:) on programs like "Jackson's iPod."  I do have a few stations I flick around, but it's a problem- there are literally only three major rock stations in the area- one's out of Wildwood, so I lose reception every time I drive to Philly.
Experience bij!

dps

I find myself mostly listening to sports talk radio anymore.  When I want music, I pop in a CD.  I just listen to enough music on the radio to keep up with new stuff.

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2011, 07:26:54 AM
You're in Kentucky now, right Seebrew?

How does the hausfrau feel about country music?
:lol:  Lest not talk about that.
She tolerates the soft stuff, like Taylor Swift, but over here half the stations play the real deal, including blue grass, dueling banjos, and the like.
Every time there is an activity on post, country music is blaring out the loudspeakers.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

So, I paid the 87 bucks.
My wife made me an offer I could not refuse.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Siege on June 24, 2011, 07:03:15 PM
So, I paid the 87 bucks.
My wife made me an offer I could not refuse.

Yeah. See what I mean? :perv:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on June 24, 2011, 07:02:27 PM
She tolerates the soft stuff, like Taylor Swift, but over here half the stations play the real deal, including blue grass, dueling banjos, and the like.
Every time there is an activity on post, country music is blaring out the loudspeakers.

Blue grass is cool.  :)

Scipio

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2011, 08:08:15 PM
Quote from: Siege on June 24, 2011, 07:02:27 PM

Blue grass is cool.  :)
Thou dost not solely whistle 'Dixie.'
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

sbr

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 24, 2011, 12:04:39 PM

That's why you save 5 or 6 different preset channels so you can switch away from commercials with press of a button. Sure, you might not be in the mood for country but it beats hearing Tom Shane drone on about his diamonds.

For some reason I thought Tom Shane was local to the Northwest.  I don't shop for much jewelry though so I hadn't put much thought into it until I saw your post.

sbr

Quote from: dps on June 24, 2011, 06:59:23 PM
I find myself mostly listening to sports talk radio anymore.  When I want music, I pop in a CD.  I just listen to enough music on the radio to keep up with new stuff.

Me too.  I don't listen to much music anymore and when I do it is stuff that has been on my iPod for years.  I could never understand how my parents could be so clueless about music when I was growing up.  Now I sound just like them when new music comes on that my kids like.  :Embarrass: