Scientists Create First Memory Expansion for Brain

Started by jimmy olsen, June 23, 2011, 02:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The Singularity is upon us! :o

http://gizmodo.com/5813821/scientists-create-first-memory-expansion-for-brain

QuoteScientists Create First Memory Expansion for Brain

Jesus Diaz — Imagine you can insert a memory card in your brain and go all Keanu Wow, I know Jiu-Jitsu! Reeves. It's actually not that far away: Scientists have created a chip that allows rats to instantly know things. It's amazing.

After studying the chemical interactions that allow short-term learning and memorization in rats, a group of scientists lead by Dr. Theodore Berger—from the University of South California's Viterbi School of Engineering—have built a prosthetic chip that uses electrodes to enhance and expand their memory abilities. The chip is capable of storing neural signals, basically functioning as an electronic memory, allowing rats to learn more and keep it in the devices.

Dr. Berger's description is almost frightening:

"Flip the switch on, and the rats remember. Flip it off, and the rats forget [...] These integrated experimental modeling studies show for the first time that with sufficient information about the neural coding of memories, a neural prosthesis capable of real-time identification and manipulation of the encoding process can restore and even enhance cognitive mnemonic processes.

The team's experiments—which have been in a paper called "A Cortical Neural Prosthesis for Restoring and Enhancing Memory"—could lead to the development of devices that may help people affected by Alzheimer's disease, stroke or other brain injuries. In fact, they are already working on the next step: Reproduce the same result in monkeys.

As someone who has had family affected by Alzheimer and other diseases, I really hope they succeed. As someone who would like to have the entire IMDB in his brain, I really hope they succeed too.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

I wonder how long it will take this technology to mature to the point where it will be used for population control.

Memories of how you murdered that whore would be pretty compromising for a politician.

Monoriu

I'm not sure.  I can imagine adding simple facts to a person's memory.  But memory also functions as a web, a piece of a picture.  If you add something that is obviously inconsistent with the rest, I'm not sure if the brain will simply accept it. 

Tamas

Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2011, 02:42:20 AM
I'm not sure.  I can imagine adding simple facts to a person's memory.  But memory also functions as a web, a piece of a picture.  If you add something that is obviously inconsistent with the rest, I'm not sure if the brain will simply accept it.

Yes. This is quite exciting, but so far it's "just" a memory extension, they can't actually control what will be stored there.

Razgovory

I don't think what they are describing is memories from one rat being transferred to another.  More like electrodes stimulating the brain of a rat that knows something and causing it to forget and then stimulating it in another way causing it to remember.  They seem to suggest it may be able to help the learning process.  Or at least the memorization process.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2011, 03:02:52 AM
I don't think what they are describing is memories from one rat being transferred to another.  More like electrodes stimulating the brain of a rat that knows something and causing it to forget and then stimulating it in another way causing it to remember.  They seem to suggest it may be able to help the learning process.  Or at least the memorization process.

What  they suggest is that this could be a replacement storage solution for those with a failing storage system. Of course, they would still need to figure out how to make the brain transfer already memorized stuff from it's primary storage to the extension.

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on June 23, 2011, 03:11:52 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2011, 03:02:52 AM

What  they suggest is that this could be a replacement storage solution for those with a failing storage system. Of course, they would still need to figure out how to make the brain transfer already memorized stuff from it's primary storage to the extension.

Always back up your data.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Razgovory

That story was more useful.  The first one threw me off due to the opening sentence which really clouded what experiments actually did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017