News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most over-rated modern-day dogma

Started by Martinus, June 22, 2011, 03:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Well, your media is terrible all around. I don't see Sarkozy having any sort of pull on Obama.

Ideologue

Quote from: Zoupa on June 22, 2011, 11:31:38 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2011, 11:30:47 PM
American military interventionism is not good.

It really isn't though.

I get into this argument with people all the time lately for some reason.  For God's sake, we liberated Iraq from a dictator!  We lost 40,000 lives, all of whom volunteered!  We didn't even bomb cities this time!

So there weren't WMDs.  That was a lie to get the people on board, who, for whatever twisted reason, believe national sovereignty trumps the right of democracies to topple fascism wherever it is found.

And now I will never speak of the Iraq War again!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on June 22, 2011, 07:37:42 PM
Nationalism.
In today's world its just silly.

You think nationalism is a modern day dogma noone challenges?  :huh:

Razgovory

It really isn't though.

Then please stop asking us to do it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Tamas

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on June 23, 2011, 01:13:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 22, 2011, 07:37:42 PM
Nationalism.
In today's world its just silly.

You think nationalism is a modern day dogma noone challenges?  :huh:

"nationalism" isn't just the stuff nazis did/do.

Slargos

A gypsy complains about nationalism?  :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on June 23, 2011, 02:01:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2011, 01:37:56 AM

It really isn't though.

Then please stop asking us to do it.

Right.

Well, we may be backing out of Libya soon, so good luck on that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Tamas

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2011, 11:56:04 PM

It really isn't though.

I get into this argument with people all the time lately for some reason.  For God's sake, we liberated Iraq from a dictator!  We lost 40,000 lives, all of whom volunteered!  We didn't even bomb cities this time!

So there weren't WMDs.  That was a lie to get the people on board, who, for whatever twisted reason, believe national sovereignty trumps the right of democracies to topple fascism wherever it is found.

Right to topple dictators? Only weirdos think about rights. The question is where and when is it wisest to spend your money and blood? That was the problem with Iraq.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2011, 03:47:18 PM
This is a thread to post nominations for a vote for the most overrated modern day's dogma - an "evident truth" or an ideological position that hardly anyone ever challenges anymore.

My nomination: the self-determination of nations. Case in point: Africa and Quebec.

It's a difficult one. A lot of "evident truths" are hard to disprove, really. In spite of it all, and the fact that I largely subscribe to it myself, I am going with rationalism. And empiricism.

Yes, it is a good thing. For the most part. However, the scientific method and ideas of rational choice seem to cement the irrationalism of certain people even more. They do not respond well to ridicule and argument and thus become more and more irrational. Cases in point are alternative medicine and the supernatural. The rationalism and empiricism used by science since the Enlightenment are suddenly turned on its head, and you get people arguing that since you cannot positively disprove the existence of angels or gods or aliens and whatnot, they exist.

Rationalism and empiricism have de-mystified so much of our existence and brought the scientific language into everyday use to an extent where rather normal and relatively sane people are easily overwhelmed and taken into pseudoscience. It sounds like science. It smells like science at times. So why not.

The lack of mystery and the feeling of being excluded from the celebrated society of scientists who crack open atoms and cure polio when the rest of us struggle with computers that refuse even to receive e-mail have created and create what seems like a raw urge for the anti-rational. Like Fight Club. Or nazism. Or a parade.

Humans are not completely rational. We run high on emotions at times. And while there certainly is no lack of touchy-feely crap that will soothe your soul, the demands for rationalism in most parts of life does seem to bore and frustrate a lot of people.

Strix

Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2011, 11:56:04 PM

It really isn't though.

Please don't. We haven't lost 40,000 troops in Iraq, I am not sure it has even reached 5,000 dead yet.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 22, 2011, 11:28:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2011, 10:41:49 PM
Yeah us versus them is a good code...

It was around well before nationalism too...

Nationalism *may* be outdated now, but it was certainly an improvement for "them" to be people hundreds of miles away instead of those in the next village.

So it if it existed before and there is a notion in place that helps perpetuate it, we call it a draw? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.