Main Menu

Most over-rated modern-day dogma

Started by Martinus, June 22, 2011, 03:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on June 22, 2011, 07:37:42 PM
Nationalism.
In today's world its just silly.

In today's world, your nation (like most Euro states), sucks.  Nationalism declined in Europe at the same time their nations did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 22, 2011, 06:51:50 PM
If we are going to complain about clothes, flip-flops.

Better than crocs.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2011, 03:47:18 PM
This is a thread to post nominations for a vote for the most overrated modern day's dogma - an "evident truth" or an ideological position that hardly anyone ever challenges anymore.

My nomination: the self-determination of nations. Case in point: Africa and Quebec.

Since when is self-determination hardly challenged?  :blink:

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on June 22, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
Nationalism.

In today's world, your nation (like most Euro states), sucks.  Nationalism declined in Europe at the same time their nations did.
And we've never been happier.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

The problem with Freud/Marx/Postmodernism is that they make just enough sense to not die and live healthy lives among those people who don't have to live with the consequences of their actions.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Maximus

Nationalism.
It was silly in any world.

Eddie Teach

Not really. Better to have everybody living nearby one of "us" and restrict "them" to people one has little if any contact with.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 22, 2011, 10:24:21 PM
Not really. Better to have everybody living nearby one of "us" and restrict "them" to people one has little if any contact with.

Yeah us versus them is a good code...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2011, 10:41:49 PM
Yeah us versus them is a good code...

It was around well before nationalism too...

Nationalism *may* be outdated now, but it was certainly an improvement for "them" to be people hundreds of miles away instead of those in the next village.

Ideologue

American military interventionism is not good.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zoupa

Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2011, 11:30:47 PM
American military interventionism is not good.

It really isn't though.

Eddie Teach

Agreed. Both unilateral and when egged on by the French.

Zoupa

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 22, 2011, 11:36:03 PM
Agreed. Both unilateral and when egged on by the French.

I didn't see any egging.  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

The way the media have it here, Obama was weak because he let Sarkozy lead the way/push him in to intervening in Libya.