News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Writers, Do You Have Something On Your Mind ?

Started by mongers, June 21, 2011, 07:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Rereading it, it seems to fit your post.  Please identify your criticism in my post.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on June 22, 2011, 01:07:19 PM
Rereading it, it seems to fit your post.  Please identify your criticism in my post.
Please show me where I said I didn't like something.  You either didn't read what I wrote or you read it and decided to create a strawman argument anyway.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

QuotePopped into London today, business was productive,  had time to catch two exhibitions, check out the new boris bike system and go to the British Library for a talk/open panel by four science fiction authors.

That's neither "business" nor "productive".

More like "idle" and "waste of time". 

jamesww

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2011, 01:35:37 PM
QuotePopped into London today, business was productive,  had time to catch two exhibitions, check out the new boris bike system and go to the British Library for a talk/open panel by four science fiction authors.

:blink:

grumbler

Quote from: jamesww on June 22, 2011, 01:36:52 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2011, 01:35:37 PM

:blink:
Marti doesn't understand the OP.  Give him a break; English is difficult to learn, and for Slavs it is more difficult than for most.  For Marti, the best policy is to ignore 99% of what he says (like the brainfart he posed above) and mock the other 1%.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2011, 01:18:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 22, 2011, 01:07:19 PM
Please show me where I said I didn't like something.  You either didn't read what I wrote or you read it and decided to create a strawman argument anyway.

You said they were pretty clearly potboilers.  I took that as a negative assessment.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2011, 12:36:29 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 21, 2011, 07:38:02 PM
This is what he said:
"I don't write for money, I write because I have something on my mind" the example he gave was when his wife left him and took the children, he was left missing the children terribly, living in poverty in a single room. So he wrote his novel 'Greybeard' about a future Earth where humans have become sterile, there are no children and only an ever aging population, this reflecting his 'loss' of his children.   
And I call bullshit.  Aldis may have written some of his stuff because he "couldn't not write it" as someone (Twain, maybe?) once said, but he also wrote a lot of (generally mediocre) stories and  books that were pretty clearly not designed to convoy a deeper meaning or get anything off his chest, but just for the money.  Moreau's Other Island and Frankenstein Unbound are both clearly potboilers.

I think only Phillip Dick was crazed enough to write SF books/stories purely because he had to.  I would believe it if he claimed not to write for money.

I took it to mean, he was illustrating what  his primary motivation was, not that it was a literal truth or that most of the time he never even bothered to cash his publishers cheques.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Scipio

I reviewed my senior film script.  It's not Akiva Goldsman bad, so I registered it with the Copyright office, and have dropped it on an agent-feeder website.  It's sad that I'm not appreciably better as a writer now than I was in 1998, although I suspect that most of that is that I haven't done any serious creative writing since then.  Professional writing is simply not comparable.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

mongers

Quote from: Scipio on June 23, 2011, 06:57:47 PM
I reviewed my senior film script.  It's not Akiva Goldsman bad, so I registered it with the Copyright office, and have dropped it on an agent-feeder website.  It's sad that I'm not appreciably better as a writer now than I was in 1998, although I suspect that most of that is that I haven't done any serious creative writing since then.  Professional writing is simply not comparable.

Good for you.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"