Writers, Do You Have Something On Your Mind ?

Started by mongers, June 21, 2011, 07:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Popped into London today, business was productive,  had time to catch two exhibitions, check out the new boris bike system and go to the British Library for a talk/open panel by four science fiction authors.
Even the journey home through the streets of London as dusk settled was enjoyable, all in all a near perfect day.

The talk at the Library was about 1960s sci-fi and those taking part included Michael Moorcock, Brian Aldiss and two others whose names escape me at this late hour.

I had intended to ask a question about encouraging the literary ambitions of others (ie some Languishites), but what Brian Aldiss said earlier seemed to me to make my question redundant. 

This is what he said:
"I don't write for money, I write because I have something on my mind" the example he gave was when his wife left him and took the children, he was left missing the children terribly, living in poverty in a single room. So he wrote his novel 'Greybeard' about a future Earth where humans have become sterile, there are no children and only an ever aging population, this reflecting his 'loss' of his children. 

So my question to those Languishites who have literary ambitions is, What is on your mind, what is bothering you ?

Maybe you should be writing about that subject, rather than endlessly shooting the breeze here and making tens of thousands of almost literally ephemeral posts. :gasp:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Norgy

You are right, of course.

The challenge lies in transforming a rather bland and banal experience one has had into something other people can recognise and at the very least be entertained by.
Your example with Brian Aldiss is excellent in illustrating that point. Rather than write an angry, bitter autobiography, he wrote something with a wider perspective.

I suppose in that sense, I don't have anything at all on my mind.

Razgovory

I don't always have an ambition to finish a post, let alone a wh
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

I'm writing a business book, Sulla's business strategy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

Ed Anger

Brazen

Crappy forums are for spilling what's on your mind so it's clear to sit down in front of a blank screen to write what pays the bills.

jamesww

Quote from: Norgy on June 22, 2011, 09:40:03 AM
You are right, of course.

The challenge lies in transforming a rather bland and banal experience one has had into something other people can recognise and at the very least be entertained by.
Your example with Brian Aldiss is excellent in illustrating that point. Rather than write an angry, bitter autobiography, he wrote something with a wider perspective.

I suppose in that sense, I don't have anything at all on my mind.

Yes, I'm not sure I have anything worthwhile on my mind either, but if I had any facility for writing, I think I'd have left that room intent on writing; very inspiration guy, and nice to chat with, for someone who's 86 years old still has a joie de vivre.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 22, 2011, 09:43:32 AM

Sulla's tip: Do not forget to massacre a thousand Samnites in ear shot while you are announcing your new business plan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jamesww

Quote from: Brazen on June 22, 2011, 09:48:43 AM
Crappy forums are for spilling what's on your mind so it's clear to sit down in front of a blank screen to write what pays the bills.

Yes, but he was saying he turned what was on his mind into novels, which presumably eventually ended up paying the bills anyway.  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

When I was young I wanted to write. As I've aged I realized I had little to say and the inability to articulate that bit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2011, 09:53:00 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 22, 2011, 09:43:32 AM

Sulla's tip: Do not forget to massacre a thousand Samnites in ear shot while you are announcing your new business plan.

Destroy your opponent before they strike at you

I should have listened to you Sulla. :weep:

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on June 21, 2011, 07:38:02 PM
This is what he said:
"I don't write for money, I write because I have something on my mind" the example he gave was when his wife left him and took the children, he was left missing the children terribly, living in poverty in a single room. So he wrote his novel 'Greybeard' about a future Earth where humans have become sterile, there are no children and only an ever aging population, this reflecting his 'loss' of his children.   
And I call bullshit.  Aldis may have written some of his stuff because he "couldn't not write it" as someone (Twain, maybe?) once said, but he also wrote a lot of (generally mediocre) stories and  books that were pretty clearly not designed to convoy a deeper meaning or get anything off his chest, but just for the money.  Moreau's Other Island and Frankenstein Unbound are both clearly potboilers.

I think only Phillip Dick was crazed enough to write SF books/stories purely because he had to.  I would believe it if he claimed not to write for money.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

He didn't say he had to write something that was good.  Simply because you don't like it, doesn't mean he didn't have to write it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on June 22, 2011, 12:53:24 PM
He didn't say he had to write something that was good.  Simply because you don't like it, doesn't mean he didn't have to write it.
Please read posts before you respond to them.  kthxby
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!