News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coming upgrade and move

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, June 18, 2011, 01:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

A couple months ago I purchased the initial parts to build a dual-ITX rackmount system.  I'm (finally) about to purchase the last pieces I need to make the system operational.

My plan is to shift the web server over to a new system, an Atom D525-based system with an enterprise-class Western Digital RE4 drive.  In the same case will the the current server board, reconfigured as a backup server with a pair of WD Green 2TB drives.  Once up and running, I plan to co-locate this box at a local datacenter.

The result is that, over the next couple months, there will be intermittent outages while certain steps happen.  At worst, none should last more than a day.  Once complete, however, operation should be much smoother than before.

In case I get to a point where a down period looks to last a significant amount of time, I'm going to look into cloud services options that could run a server image for a few days.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Take the opportunity to update SMF too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

If you need some help with the costs, don't hesitate to PM.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on June 19, 2011, 06:16:37 PM

Me too.  I'll pay more to go back to InVision, too.  With all the bells and whistles.

DGuller

Will there be any data loss involved? :unsure:

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Pedrito

Quoted, if you need financial support count me in.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

CountDeMoney

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Liep

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2011, 08:24:24 PM

Me too.  I'll pay more to go back to InVision, too.  With all the bells and whistles.

Is that what we had before SMF?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

The rating and reputation systems should be fun. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk