News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coming upgrade and move

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, June 18, 2011, 01:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Click on the WAP2 down at the bottom of the page.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I'm making it a point this week to get the Linode I ordered last night stood up.  There may be some performance issues, and if they are too bad I'll upgrade to a larger one or go through with the colo plan.  I want off this T1 connection ASAP so I can decommission it and switch my home connection to something cheaper.  There will be a (hopefully) brief service interruption when I make the transfer.  I will not be making any changes to the board and we will not lose any data.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 26, 2012, 12:14:50 PM
I want off this T1 connection ASAP so I can decommission it

I dunno, man;  we're sorta getting used to the schedule.  :P  Like Soviet Russia.  BREAD ON TUESDAYS AND FRIDAYS ONLY.

mongers

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 26, 2012, 12:14:50 PM
I'm making it a point this week to get the Linode I ordered last night stood up.  There may be some performance issues, and if they are too bad I'll upgrade to a larger one or go through with the colo plan.  I want off this T1 connection ASAP so I can decommission it and switch my home connection to something cheaper.  There will be a (hopefully) brief service interruption when I make the transfer.  I will not be making any changes to the board and we will not lose any data.

:thumbsup:

Good idea, oh and can't you ban people who henceforth post too graphically intense content, I'm thinking specifically AuntieMay.

:cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I have the Linode configured and ready for the transfer.  I plan to make the transfer tomorrow morning.

The site will be down for about 30 minutes while I do the final database transfer.  I'll change the DNS records before I start the transfer, so by the time I'm done some of you may already be able to access the new server.  In the past, though, some DNS servers have taken days to get the updated records.  For those who may have problems, the new server IP is 66.228.52.41; you can put that in your hosts file for languish.org if you don't want to wait for your DNS provider to catch up.  Don't do it yet, though, or you won't be able to get here. :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 26, 2012, 03:45:47 PM
:thumbsup:

Good idea, oh and can't you ban people who henceforth post too graphically intense content, I'm thinking specifically AuntieMay.

:cheers:

And the people who quote their posts. :cheers: :thumbsup:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Switchover delayed by termites.  Stay tuned for a reschedule; I'm currently leaning towards Sunday.

DGuller

What's with about 8 guests all reading an NFL playoffs thread?  Is there something interesting in it? :unsure:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

So, I'm finally ready to move things.  I really need to stop procrastinating so much. :P

I'm going with the colocated server idea.  My datacenter slot is ready and the new machine will be in it in a couple days.  If everything goes as planned, I will switch over on Sunday evening.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

The new box is racked and up at the DC, 10 days late.  Tonight I will take the current site down, copy the database to the new box, and switch the DNS.

DNS information may take a few days to propagate.  The new server's IP is 108.166.163.106.  You may want to edit your hosts file to add a record for languish.org so you don't suffer an outage.  The database transfer should only take half an hour.

Edit Windows hosts file
Edit Mac hosts file

garbon

I went to save the IP down and when I went to name the file languish, saw that I'd had the IP from the last time saved the same way. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2013, 03:13:39 PM
I went to save the IP down and when I went to name the file languish, saw that I'd had the IP from the last time saved the same way. :D

That reminds me, everyone should check their hosts files anyway to make sure that there is not an entry for the current IP (66.253.55.117).  If there is, you need to delete that or you will not be able to get to the site after the switch.

CountDeMoney

Somebody's not gonna get the memo.

Ed Anger

So I'll be off languish for a few days. No biggie.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive