News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Languish Great Beer Thread

Started by Lucidor, April 18, 2009, 04:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidor

To continue a good thread from before. I'm sitting here in front of the computer, after watching a film, sipping a great American beer. Stone Breweries Double Bastard, a great DIPA. It's quite sweet, and not as overly brutal on the hops as some DIPAs tend to be, but still hoppy enough to linger on your tongue and palate for several minutes for every sip you take from it. The alcohol is pretty well hidden, but contributes to a warm feeling.

I give it a 9.5 - 10 rating out of ten. This is excellent stuff. Sadly I only got one bottle when it was in stock.

MadImmortalMan

http://www.greatbasinbrewingco.com/ontap/index.php

Ichthyosaur Pale Ale

I usually drink stouts and porters, but this stuff is brilliant.

Great Basin Brewing Co. Ichthyosaur Pale Ale.

Amber color. Sweet grapefruity hop oil and light caramel aromas. A rich entry leads to a frothy, zesty medium-full bodied caramelized pale malt palate with sweet baked citrus, toffee, and aggressive, lingering pithy hops on the fade. A IPA-like pale ale for avid hopheads.

WORLD BEER CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Silver Medal

RATED: 87 points (Highly Recommended)
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 6.0%
CATEGORY: American Style Pale Ale, Ale
TASTING LOCATION: In Our Chicago Tasting Room
TASTING DATE: Feb-02-2006
BEER ID: 177722

We have noted the following producer or marketer for this beer:

Great Basin Brewing Co.
846 Victorian Ave.
Sparks NV 89432
(775) 355-7711
(775) 355-7832
www.greatbasinbrewingco.com

Also, the owner of GBBC is from Cleveland, and hosts the Nevada Browns fans association as well as big Ohio State parties. It's weird to go in there on a Sunday and see everyone inside wearing Browns jerseys watching NFL. In Sparks, NV.  :P

At least half the bars in this city serve Icky.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Local Brewers at Midnight Sun are releasing 9 specialty beers this year, each one is made by a member of the brewery, the first is

BREWTALITY
Espresso Black Bier
9.7 % Alcohol By Volume
17 International Bittering Units (IBUs)

CREATOR = Jeremiah

Beer Description:
Combining jet black color with incredibly smooth texture and decadent coffee flavor, BREWTALITY breaks the expectations of both rich espresso and dark beer to create a whole 'nuther beast. While brutal in alcoholic strength, this biggie beautifully showcases its roasted malt and coffee flavors without bringing on bitterness and bite. This is the first of two lagers in the series.

BEER LINE:
"Antidote for Hibernation"
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Savonarola

Quote from: katmai on April 18, 2009, 08:33:00 PM
Local Brewers at Midnight Sun are releasing 9 specialty beers this year, each one is made by a member of the brewery, the first is

BREWTALITY
Espresso Black Bier
9.7 % Alcohol By Volume
17 International Bittering Units (IBUs)

CREATOR = Jeremiah

Beer Description:
Combining jet black color with incredibly smooth texture and decadent coffee flavor, BREWTALITY breaks the expectations of both rich espresso and dark beer to create a whole 'nuther beast. While brutal in alcoholic strength, this biggie beautifully showcases its roasted malt and coffee flavors without bringing on bitterness and bite. This is the first of two lagers in the series.

BEER LINE:
"Antidote for Hibernation"

Wow, that just sounds awesome.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Once again Oberon (Bell's Beer, Kalamazoo, MI) is being distributed.  :)

Unfortunately Bell's Winter White is no longer available.  :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Savonarola on April 18, 2009, 09:12:02 PM

It sure does.  :mmm:

I'm surprised they can call it beer at that alcohol content. Recently, I had a "whiskey barrel stout" at a BJ's brewery (a chain of several in norcal and nevada) which was dark stout aged in whiskey barrels. It was great.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Lucidor

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 18, 2009, 09:24:39 PM
I'm surprised they can call it beer at that alcohol content. Recently, I had a "whiskey barrel stout" at a BJ's brewery (a chain of several in norcal and nevada) which was dark stout aged in whiskey barrels. It was great.
Connoiseur Malt Liqour? ;)

I like the whisky barrel aged stouts. They take on a more mature whisky flavour than the stuff Innis and Gunn put in whisky casks, which is like Corona put in an unwashed whisky tumbler.

katmai

Quote from: Savonarola on April 18, 2009, 09:12:02 PM

I haven't tried it yet, but think i may just have to go pick up a bottle or two.

The other two released so far are
QuoteDESCENT
Imperial Abbey Ale
brewed with raisins + grains of paradise
8.3 % Alcohol By Volume
25 International Bittering Units (IBUs)

CREATOR = K-Dogg

Beer Description:
This deep amber Imperial Abbey Ale melds malt and earth, spice and fruit to create a wonderful vehicle to wind down the day. Belgian yeast contributes flavor notes that accent the raisins and grains of paradise used in the brewing process. With strength and stamina, DESCENT is deliberately impetuous in its mission.

BEER LINE:
"The Way Down"

and

QuoteANCHOR
Witbier with Brettanomyces
6.25 % Alcohol By Volume
20 International Bittering Units (IBUs)

CREATOR = Gabe

Beer Description:
This Belgian witbier begins with equal parts malted wheat and pale barley to create its traditional cloudy white appearance. The addition of Brettanomyces gives ANCHOR its trademark "green apple" or "horse blanket" aroma and lends tartness to the flavor and finish. At over 6% ABV, this ANCHOR's got a bit of more kick than most wits.

BEER LINE:
"Raise your Anchor"

Admiral Yi

I'm surprised they can call it beer at that alcohol content
When I used to frequent the Brickskellar in DC I would often have what the bartender would call a barley wine.  Always high alcohol.  You guys ever hear this term?

Richard Hakluyt

Barley wine is certainly common knowledge here in England, though it is rarely drunk nowadays, too strong.

(It is very strong beer rather than wine of course).

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2009, 03:26:15 AM
I'm surprised they can call it beer at that alcohol content
When I used to frequent the Brickskellar in DC I would often have what the bartender would call a barley wine.  Always high alcohol.  You guys ever hear this term?

Yep we have every January the Great Alaska Beer and Barley Wine festival

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Lucidor

Sweet potato stout? Sounds like Banana beer. :D

Zanza