News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Languish Great Beer Thread

Started by Lucidor, April 18, 2009, 04:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lucidor

Quote from: citizen k on April 19, 2009, 02:20:46 PM
@Lucidor:

http://www.stonebrew.com/og/

I have a bottle of that, sitting to mature half a year or so. BWs need aging... :D

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Lucidor

Since this is my thread to necromancificate whenever I want, I had half a bottle of Thomas Hardy 2007 Barley Wine and half a bottle of Brewdog Tokyo*, a 18% extreme Imperial Stout today.

Both beers are excellent, but something about the Brewdog just sucks you in after having a few "lesser beers" before.

It tastes more beerey, or however one should say... Great stuff!

MadImmortalMan

This is a good thread.

I heard Stone Brewing is going to be setting up shop in Europe soon. America's new brewing golden age will finally reach beyond our borders and rescue the bad foreign reputation of US beer.

Check this one out from North Coast:

Yes, I admit I bought it just because of the bottle art, but wtf it's awesome.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Spring is here, on Monday Bell's Brewery of Kalamazoo, Michigan released their Summer Ale:

It's like sunshine in a glass.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

The only beer I sometimes drink that probably isn't well known is Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale (oddly enough, it's brewed by a biotech company, not a traditional brewery).

The thing is... I don't actually like this stuff very much, but people keep giving it to me as gifts, etc. :blush:

I think what I don't like about it is the fact that it mostly tastes like bourbon (which I love), but only has the alcohol content of beer.  So to me it tastes like 'wrong' bourbon, or maybe bourbon without any punch.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jamesww

[worzel] I am a cider drinker.  :outback:   [/worzel]

Scipio

We're brewing a collaborative Imperial Stout.  One of the brewers has a bourbon barrel, holding 9.5 gallons.  We're each brewing 2 gallon batches, which will be blended together and aged in the barrel.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

Well then I hope you like bourbon, because if it's anything like this commercial brew it's going to absorb a shitload of the bourbon flavor and smell from that barrel.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Scipio

We do, but we're aiming for about a 10% beer.  So I think it'll stand up pretty well.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 30, 2011, 04:20:48 PMI heard Stone Brewing is going to be setting up shop in Europe soon. America's new brewing golden age will finally reach beyond our borders and rescue the bad foreign reputation of US beer.
There's a couple of bars that serve lots of different American beers.

A similar thing's happened over here.  Beer's become like I think wine probably was a few years ago.
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 30, 2011, 04:20:48 PM
This is a good thread.

I heard Stone Brewing is going to be setting up shop in Europe soon. America's new brewing golden age will finally reach beyond our borders and rescue the bad foreign reputation of US beer.

I've had that beer as well MiM.

And in regards to American beer Reputation, it has already been saved  by actual fans of beer, now it's just ignorant yokels who don't know about what is coming from US.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sophie Scholl

I've become disillusioned with American micro breweries obsession with overhopping everything and adding hops to anything.  It's annoying as hell and ruins a lot of potentially good beers in my opinion.  Like any spice, in a recipe, hops are best used in moderation.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

citizen k