Main Menu

The Languish Great Beer Thread

Started by Lucidor, April 18, 2009, 04:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: katmai on March 30, 2011, 08:25:36 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 30, 2011, 04:20:48 PM
This is a good thread.

I heard Stone Brewing is going to be setting up shop in Europe soon. America's new brewing golden age will finally reach beyond our borders and rescue the bad foreign reputation of US beer.

I've had that beer as well MiM.

And in regards to American beer Reputation, it has already been saved  by actual fans of beer, now it's just ignorant yokels who don't know about what is coming from US.

I buy Brother Theolonius on a regular basis.  Unlike MiM, however, I initially avoided it due to the bottle art. :P

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 30, 2011, 08:28:30 PM
I've become disillusioned with American micro breweries obsession with overhopping everything and adding hops to anything.  It's annoying as hell and ruins a lot of potentially good beers in my opinion.  Like any spice, in a recipe, hops are best used in moderation.

While I like hoppy beers, I share this sentiment.  Fortunately, Rahr and Sons in Ft. Worth does not have this problem.  My favorite from their stable is Ugly Pug, one of the few schwarzbiers I've come across from an American brewery.  Couple others (not schwarzbiers) I'm fond of are Moose Drool and Trout Slayer from Big Sky.

Syt

I have a "beer a day" calendar at work, critiquing one beer per day. Rather entertaining, though 50% of the brews are from the U.S. Had "Commander Perry's India Pale Ale" on it yesterday.

Funniest so far was:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Capetan Mihali

I've become disillusioned with American micro breweries obsession with overhopping everything and adding hops to anything.  It's annoying as hell and ruins a lot of potentially good beers in my opinion.  Like any spice, in a recipe, hops are best used in moderation.

After a few years experimenting with microbrews (and imports), I discovered that I'm really a lager lout at heart.  :bowler:   Nothing beats a good pilsener for me, and few US breweries seem to want to do the style with regularity.  The Sam Adams "Noble Pils" is good and priced alongside Pilsner Urquell here, but it's only seasonal.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Lucidor

Had two different Mikkeller IIPAs yesterday as well. I liked his 50/50 mix with Brewdog Hardcore IPA best, but the other one wasn't bad at all. Too bad I can't remember their names.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 30, 2011, 10:05:57 PM
I buy Brother Theolonius on a regular basis.  Unlike MiM, however, I initially avoided it due to the bottle art. :P

Not a jazz fan, I take it. :lol:

Still, the beer is good. It tastes almost like it has port in it. In all the positive ways and none of the negative ones. I like it a lot.

Oh, and my favorite "pizza" beer - Mirror Pond Pale Ale from Deschutes Brewery in Oregon.

Best on tap, which one of the good pizza places here serves along with Alaskan Amber. Everything I've ever tried from Deschutes has been great.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 30, 2011, 10:11:34 PM
While I like hoppy beers, I share this sentiment.  Fortunately, Rahr and Sons in Ft. Worth does not have this problem.  My favorite from their stable is Ugly Pug, one of the few schwarzbiers I've come across from an American brewery.  Couple others (not schwarzbiers) I'm fond of are Moose Drool and Trout Slayer from Big Sky.
Schwartzbiers. :wub:  They are a pain to find from US Breweries though.  My local brewery and current part time employer puts one out.  http://www.saranac.com/page/black-forest  I'm quite fond of it and have managed to get quite a few people to try it, 95% of whom love it.  I'm quite fond of German beer styles, and find their lack of market share in America makes me sad.  IPA's are so early 2000's. :rolleyes:   :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

MadImmortalMan

You're not supposed to be able to get Guinness Foreign Extra in North America or Europe. For some reason, I stumbled upon some in a liquor store here that tends to carry harder to find things. I just had a sip for the first time in my life.  :D
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 04, 2011, 09:37:26 PM
You're not supposed to be able to get Guinness Foreign Extra in North America or Europe. For some reason, I stumbled upon some in a liquor store here that tends to carry harder to find things. I just had a sip for the first time in my life.  :D

Uh pssst
QuoteTuesday, September 28th is National Drink Beer Day! As if you didn't already have reason to raise a pint, GUINNESS(r) Irish Stout is proud to announce its U.S. launch of GUINNESS(r) Foreign Extra Stout (FES) on October 1st.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 31, 2011, 12:54:24 AM
Not a jazz fan, I take it. :lol:

Still, the beer is good. It tastes almost like it has port in it. In all the positive ways and none of the negative ones. I like it a lot.

Actually, my initial impression was that it was a gimmick, and so the beer was overpriced shit (like so much California wine :P).  Glad I didn't let that impression stand.

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 30, 2011, 11:53:36 PM

After a few years experimenting with microbrews (and imports), I discovered that I'm really a lager lout at heart.  :bowler:   Nothing beats a good pilsener for me, and few US breweries seem to want to do the style with regularity.  The Sam Adams "Noble Pils" is good and priced alongside Pilsner Urquell here, but it's only seasonal.

This is where I have found myself.  I like some dark ales once in a while, but generally I like a simple pilsner.  Of which, as Mihali points out, there are few microbrew attempts at.

To preserve some beer snobbery, I do find myself getting Urquell, or even better Checkvar (how Budweiser Budvar is marketed over here) for a very nice pilsner.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Caliga

:hug:

Personally, I prefer beer with a light to no hops profile.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points