And we're back!

Main Menu

Dutch Muslims & Jews united together

Started by viper37, June 16, 2011, 03:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 16, 2011, 05:36:57 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2011, 05:29:27 PM
Well I guess it sucks to be in a segment of a religion where your views can't adjust with the times.

In the USA you don't have to, because the Constitution guarantees free exercise.  So if the Amish want to drive their horse drawn-buggies, or if the Mormons want to wear their special undergarments, or the Sikhs their turbans, or if the Catholics want to erect huge statutes of a classical-era Jew on a Roman torture device, then they get to do all those things even if others think it is gauche and terribly out of fashion.

I would have thought that religious freedom counted for more in the Netherlands but perhaps not.

Religious freedom doesn't mean you can do anything your stone age book says.

Slargos

Keep this up, and Wags will never be able to return, you filthy anti-semites.  :cry:

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on June 16, 2011, 05:46:07 PM
Well I guess it sucks to be in a segment of a religion where your views can't adjust with the times.

In the USA you don't have to, because the Constitution guarantees free exercise.  So if the Amish want to drive their horse drawn-buggies, or if the Mormons want to wear their special undergarments, or the Sikhs their turbans, or if the Catholics want to erect huge statutes of a classical-era Jew on a Roman torture device, then they get to do all those things even if others think it is gauche and terribly out of fashion.

I would have thought that religious freedom counted for more in the Netherlands but perhaps not.

:huh:

Religious freedom means that we make reasonable accomodations to the religious concerns of our citizens.   The classic example are the various accomodations made for sikhs - they are allowed to carry a ceremonial kirpan in a variety of areas where you or I would not be allowed to carry a pocket knife.

Religion is not given carte blanche, but it is certainly given serious consideration.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2011, 05:45:32 PM
It doesn't seem odd to you that the Dutch require everyone else to stun animals before slaughter but Jews and Muslims get a religious exception? I don't really think that's what freedom of religion is supposed to mean.

This issue came up in Lukumi Babalu case and the Supreme Court ruled that a local government could not pass an animal welfare ordinance that failed to exempt the Santeria practice of ritual animal sacrifice.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Iron age.   :contract:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2011, 05:34:49 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2011, 05:31:46 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 16, 2011, 05:13:03 PM
The real issue here is that the weight of rabbinical opinion is that stunning is not kosher.  So in practice eliminating the exemption means eliminating these businesses because their customers won't buy the meat.
But that's not really the issue here.  The issue is that the Dutch are racist.
It's the issue in SF where there is going to be a ballot measure to ban circumcision.
SF is a pretty racist place.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

No, it doesn't, but killing animals is something that is not considered unacceptable.  Unless you're some sort of faggot like Martinus or Slargos.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2011, 05:57:08 PM
The real issue here is that the weight of rabbinical opinion is that stunning is not kosher.  So in practice eliminating the exemption means eliminating these businesses because their customers won't buy the meat.
It's the issue in SF where there is going to be a ballot measure to ban circumcision.

Against blacks, not Jews. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 16, 2011, 05:56:12 PM
It doesn't seem odd to you that the Dutch require everyone else to stun animals before slaughter but Jews and Muslims get a religious exception? I don't really think that's what freedom of religion is supposed to mean.

This issue came up in Lukumi Babalu case and the Supreme Court ruled that a local government could not pass an animal welfare ordinance that failed to exempt the Santeria practice of ritual animal sacrifice.

This isn't about a local gov't...and I guess then that's what you think religious freedom should be?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on June 16, 2011, 05:54:30 PM

Religious freedom means that we make reasonable accomodations to the religious concerns of our citizens.   The classic example are the various accomodations made for sikhs - they are allowed to carry a ceremonial kirpan in a variety of areas where you or I would not be allowed to carry a pocket knife.

Religion is not given carte blanche, but it is certainly given serious consideration.

Detestable. Religious freedom shouldn't mean that you get favors because you have a religion.

Viking

Wouldn't an automatic exemption from animal welfare ordinance conflict with the establishment clause?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2011, 05:59:09 PM
No, they hate Jews too.  Israel, and all that.

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on June 16, 2011, 05:54:30 PM

Religious freedom means that we make reasonable accomodations to the religious concerns of our citizens.   The classic example are the various accomodations made for sikhs - they are allowed to carry a ceremonial kirpan in a variety of areas where you or I would not be allowed to carry a pocket knife.

That is a terrible example, since that accomodation was not reasonable at all.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2011, 06:07:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2011, 05:59:09 PM
No, they hate Jews too.  Israel, and all that.

You're right there are a lot of those nuts. I used to glare at the people at the end of my block wanting me to sign petitions against Israeli actions in Palestine.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on June 16, 2011, 06:01:22 PM
Wouldn't an automatic exemption from animal welfare ordinance conflict with the establishment clause?
No.  They're both creatures of the First Amendment.  The issue isn't that you're exempt from the ordinance, but rather that the state doesn't have the power to pass it.