Question about voting in popular elections

Started by Martinus, June 16, 2011, 09:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When making a decision whether to vote for a candidate A from party X in parliamentary elections, do you also take into account that party X is running (elsewhere) a candidate that you despise?

Yes (UK, US, Canada, Australia)
4 (12.5%)
No (UK, US, Canada, Australia)
19 (59.4%)
Yes (EU)
1 (3.1%)
No (EU)
4 (12.5%)
Yes (ROTW)
0 (0%)
No (ROTW)
3 (9.4%)
No elections in my country (Mono option)
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Martinus

Ok, so, this is a more specific way of asking a question whether you vote for a guy or a party.

Assume you have to potential candidates A from party X and B from party Y.

You prefer A to B (but not by a long stretch). However, a candidate C (whom you absolutely despise) is also running (elsewhere) from party X. Your vote for candidate A will NOT help C to be elected.

Would the fact that C is running from the same party as A factor at all in your decision to vote for A.

Monoriu

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Strix

I always vote for the best candidate. Sometimes that is none of the above when a schmuck is running unopposed.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

There are only two parties and both are loaded with contemptible scum so I am unable to do so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

clandestino

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2011, 09:49:03 AM
There are only two parties and both are loaded with contemptible scum so I am unable to do so.

This. Except that we have 5 parties that count (some more than others though).

Martinus

Btw, my candidate in the upcoming elections this Autumn (and unlike my usual candidates, she is almost certainly getting a seat):

Zanza

I rarely know the representative that I vote well enough to influence my decision much for so I vote on party preference anyway. If the party is convincing enough despite the despicable person, I'll vote for them.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on June 16, 2011, 10:03:00 AM
I rarely know the representative that I vote well enough to influence my decision much for so I vote on party preference anyway. If the party is convincing enough despite the despicable person, I'll vote for them.

Wow that's rather strange. I mean I can understand that when voting for stuff like a city council or regional parliament, but when I am voting for the national parliament, it would be pretty strange not to know who the candidate is and what he represents (even if I may be influenced by his political affiliations too).

chipwich

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2011, 10:17:38 AM
Quote from: Zanza on June 16, 2011, 10:03:00 AM

Wow that's rather strange. I mean I can understand that when voting for stuff like a city council or regional parliament, but when I am voting for the national parliament, it would be pretty strange not to know who the candidate is and what he represents (even if I may be influenced by his political affiliations too).

Really? You must be the exception. Around here it doesnt really matter what the candidate thinks on anything, they all follow the party line. When they don't, they usually quit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2011, 10:17:38 AMWow that's rather strange. I mean I can understand that when voting for stuff like a city council or regional parliament, but when I am voting for the national parliament, it would be pretty strange not to know who the candidate is and what he represents (even if I may be influenced by his political affiliations too).
As far as I can tell, most of the politicians basically just follow the party line in virtually all topics, so it's the party, not the individuals that matter. The election system is also built in a way that your party vote matters more than the vote for some individual candidate.

I just looked up who is the representative of my constituency because I couldn't remember. It's a conservative, Roman Catholic gay who works on traffic and education matters. But as far as I can tell from his website and the answers on the some website that allows you to ask your representatives questions, he really just follows the party line in most questions.

MadImmortalMan

Nope. I vote for the candidate, not the party.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers