When Does A Given American Jailbird Typically Get To Stretch Their Wings ?

Started by mongers, June 14, 2011, 05:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Simple question, no doubt very complex multiple answers:

When would this jailbird typically expect to be get parole ?

Under what conditions do they see out their parole ?

What's the over-under on how they generally behave ?

How soon are they eligible to travel out of state, get a passport, travel outside the USA ?

We had a thread about this years ago, my friend D's sister had 'fallen in love' and gotten engage to a convicted rapist residing in a Georgia state prison. She now owns a house in the state, has found religion and is hoping to 'spring' him from jail and marry him. 

Her sister, D. and D's husband just want some info on what you'd typically expect to happen in these cases regard release date and what his probably behaviour is going to be like once he leaves prison; this is so they can counter-act her fantasy stories and give it straight to the rest of the family as to what is likely to be the reality of the woman's situation and what she can expect.

The details:

The guy is 44 years old and spent most of his life in prison, in 1988 he was convicted of  rape and given a life sentence along with a other convictions related to that event, namely aggravated sodomy and robbery, over the next few weeks he committed more burglaries, others assaults and some more minor crimes.

Typically when is this guy likely to eligible for parole, if at all ?

Will the woman, willing to 'spring' him from jail likely aid his release ?

If he gets out, how unlikely is he to be the reformed character she believes him to be, what are the percentages on this ?

I'm guessing CdM and Strix might be some help here, together with other law talkers.

cheers
Mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Phone up the prison he is serving in and ask them.

I really can't help you in the US, but even if it was in Canada there are far too many details to change what a potential parole date might be that you can't give an estimate.

And I'm sure you know this, but eligible for parole does not guarantee parole being granted.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: mongers on June 14, 2011, 05:04:26 PM
The details:

The guy is 44 years old and spent most of his life in prison, in 1988 he was convicted of  rape and given a life sentence along with a other convictions related to that event, namely aggravated sodomy and robbery, over the next few weeks he committed more burglaries, others assaults and some more minor crimes.

If he gets out, how unlikely is he to be the reformed character she believes him to be, what are the percentages on this ?

With more details - including, if at all possible, the name of the prisoner - I could give you more information.  Prisoners serving a life sentence, if denied parole, can have their next parole hearing set as far out as 8 years.

There's a fair amount of information available here:
http://oldweb.pap.state.ga.us/

If I'm reading this right, on a life sentence if paroled he'd never be allowed to leave Georgia (although he could be paroled into another state if he met certain conditions):
http://oldweb.pap.state.ga.us/parole_conditions.htm

Each year approximately 12% of parolees go back to prison - usually for failing to meet a condition.
http://oldweb.pap.state.ga.us/faq%27s.htm

mongers

Quote from: ulmont on June 14, 2011, 05:44:30 PM
The details:

With more details - including, if at all possible, the name of the prisoner - I could give you more information.  Prisoners serving a life sentence, if denied parole, can have their next parole hearing set as far out as 8 years.

There's a fair amount of information available here:
http://oldweb.pap.state.ga.us/

If I'm reading this right, on a life sentence if paroled he'd never be allowed to leave Georgia (although he could be paroled into another state if he met certain conditions):
http://oldweb.pap.state.ga.us/parole_conditions.htm

Each year approximately 12% of parolees go back to prison - usually for failing to meet a condition.
http://oldweb.pap.state.ga.us/faq%27s.htm

Excellent info and those are very useful links. :cheers:

Can I pm you his ID number ?

Razgovory

I think this is Strix's department.  Also, your friend's sister is very stupid.  Never trust an inmate.  Never.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on June 14, 2011, 05:56:17 PM
  Also, your friend's sister is very stupid.  Never trust an inmate.  Never.

:yes:

All that dude needs to do is use her house in a drug op and *poof* her house is seized and sold at auction. So solly, but Unca Sam owns it now and please get out of his house.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

The Brain

Remind me, did D tell his sister that she's a fucking moron and that she's on her own?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

chipwich

my friend D's sister had 'fallen in love' and gotten engage to a convicted rapist residing in a Georgia state prison.

I can't wait till CDM posts in here.

Either way, I assume it's called a life sentence for a reason.

CountDeMoney

Her sister, D. and D's husband just want some info on what you'd typically expect to happen in these cases regard release date and what his probably behaviour is going to be like once he leaves prison; this is so they can counter-act her fantasy stories and give it straight to the rest of the family as to what is likely to be the reality of the woman's situation and what she can expect.

:lol:

QuoteThe guy is 44 years old and spent most of his life in prison, in 1988 he was convicted of  rape and given a life sentence along with a other convictions related to that event, namely aggravated sodomy and robbery, over the next few weeks he committed more burglaries, others assaults and some more minor crimes.

A real catch there.
Well, the upside is he's probably so institutionalized now he'll wind up there again more sooner than later.

PM me the name, DOB if possible and his ID as well; I can make a call to a contact in the GBI.

But you may get some traction here with the ID number a lot easier here:

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/OffenderQuery/jsp/OffQryForm.jsp

Inmate information search, along with location, pics, and release time.  Courtesy of the Georgia Department of Corrections.  God Bless the American Taxpayer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: chipwich on June 14, 2011, 08:22:58 PM
my friend D's sister had 'fallen in love' and gotten engage to a convicted rapist residing in a Georgia state prison.

I can't wait till CDM posts in here.

Sometimes your only recourse is a slight chuckle, shake your head and walk away.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 14, 2011, 08:25:06 PM
Sometimes your only recourse is a slight chuckle, shake your head and walk away.

I think even people significantly less world weary than you have that reaction in this case.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on June 14, 2011, 08:29:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 14, 2011, 08:25:06 PM

I think even people significantly less world weary than you have that reaction in this case.

You can't fix stupid.

Legbiter

There wasn't a Tim, plumber, down at the pub for her to snag? Nevermind, some women. :wacko:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.