When Does A Given American Jailbird Typically Get To Stretch Their Wings ?

Started by mongers, June 14, 2011, 05:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 09:08:34 AM
Really? The US has laws that allow the state to confiscate the property used in a crime, even if the owner is not criminally responsible? Whatever happened to sanctity of property?  :huh:

Sacrificed at the altar of the drug war.

An "innocent owner" is protected from forfeiture.  But the innocent owner has the burden of proving their status.  And "innocent owner" doesn't just mean the owner was not criminally responsible; the owner also has to prove that either they knew nothing about the criminal activity, or that they took all reasonable steps to prevent the use of the property for criminal purposes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Strix on June 15, 2011, 10:58:20 AM
The reality is that no sane State government wants to release rapists back into society. New York has even started using Mental Hygene laws to prevent the release of certain sex offenders once they have finished their required sentences. The reason is that most violent rapists will rape again. It's just how their brains are wired and nothing can change it. Therapy, Chemical Castration, and other methods just aren't effective enough to protect public safety. The chances are good that she is setting herself up to be one of his next victims.

Note: Yes, chemical castration will reduce the ability to get erect but not the desire. We had a rapist on chemical castration drugs who couldn't get it up for his next victim, so he killed her parrot and used that. And, we have another out now who doesn't use his penis, he reaches inside with his hand and pulls their utereus inside out.

Wow. I did not need that mental image. Is that even possible?

DGuller

Strix has a record of passing along urban legends even on topics relating to his work.  Therefore, a very healthy dose of skepticism is appropriate.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on June 15, 2011, 11:32:44 AM
Strix has a record of passing along urban legends even on topics relating to his work.  Therefore, a very healthy dose of skepticism is appropriate.

Thanks for reminding me.  Grain of salt: taken.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Strix on June 15, 2011, 12:02:56 PM

No, these would be case files of real sex offenders. Not Urban legends. The DGullers of the world love to put things like this down as "urban myths" so that they don't have to consider just how bad humanity can act.
I don't know whether the case you're talking about is real or not.  I can just go by your reputation.  You have in the past falled victim to urban legends that you should've professionally known better about, such as kids have "pill parties".  Maybe the case you're talking about is real, I just have no faith in your bullshit filtering skills.

Strix

:lmfao:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on June 15, 2011, 12:14:13 PM
Quote from: Strix on June 15, 2011, 12:02:56 PM

No, these would be case files of real sex offenders. Not Urban legends. The DGullers of the world love to put things like this down as "urban myths" so that they don't have to consider just how bad humanity can act.
I don't know whether the case you're talking about is real or not.  I can just go by your reputation.  You have in the past falled victim to urban legends that you should've professionally known better about, such as kids have "pill parties".  Maybe the case you're talking about is real, I just have no faith in your bullshit filtering skills.

That is fine, I have no faith in your thinking abilities at all, so we are even. And, I am sure that the two people I have on parole for the next two years would be thrilled to know that their crime was a bullshit "urban legend". Maybe they can use that as a basis to appeal their remaining post release supervision.  :nelson:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Valmy

Quote from: Strix on June 15, 2011, 12:18:06 PM
That is fine, I have no faith in your thinking abilities at all, so we are even. And, I am sure that the two people I have on parole for the next two years would be thrilled to know that their crime was a bullshit "urban legend". Maybe they can use that as a basis to appeal their remaining post release supervision.  :nelson:

:lol:

Pretty sure DGuller was not claiming violent rape itself is an urban legend.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

That is fine, I have no faith in your thinking abilities at all, so we are even.
That's fine, nothing in this thread rests on my thinking abilities, so that's not very relevant to the discussion.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2011, 12:34:39 PM

Maybe supervising people who rip out uteruses through vagina is his specialty.

Strix

I'd hope not but you never can tell with him.

Strix

I was discussing his so called "pill party" urban legend.

Zanza

Quote from: Strix on June 15, 2011, 10:58:20 AMIt's just how their brains are wired and nothing can change it.
So what you say is that they have no control over their depravity? How can you be criminally responsible for a miswired brain?