News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.C.R.

LOL, almost just had a Top Gun in a Tier II rice burner.  I only missed Kill #6 because I was having trouble seeing through the slanted viewports...

:ccr

DGuller

My last 4 games with PzIV derp HEAT:  4, 5, 4, and 3 kills, including a number of tier 7 tanks.  I'll keep milking it while I can, but clearly this is ridiculously unbalanced.  I wish they just removed premium ammo altogether, I doubt that anyone had effective HEAT ammo in WWII outside of Panzerfausts and the like.

katmai

Okay so KV-4 or Tiger II for next tank :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Bluebook

Quote from: DGuller on January 17, 2013, 01:23:35 AM
Quote from: katmai on January 17, 2013, 01:12:33 AM
IS or Tiger II for my next purchase?
Definitely IS.
Isnt the IS a tier VII, while the Tiger II is tier VIII

Tiger II

CountDeMoney

I'm bored, but not bored enough to read all 151 thread pages.  Is this worth downloading?  Or is everybody running around in King Tigers?

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2013, 11:26:34 AM
I'm bored, but not bored enough to read all 151 thread pages.  Is this worth downloading?  Or is everybody running around in King Tigers?
Given that this thread has gotten to 151 pages, that should give you the answer.  Of course you should change your posts/page setting in your profile.  And download WoT, of course. 

The game has a matchmaker, so you won't be too severely outmatched in any battle.  And King Tigers kind of suck anyway.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2013, 12:48:15 PM
Given that this thread has gotten to 151 pages, that should give you the answer.

Not really.  Could just be 151 pages of Berkut arguing with somebody.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2013, 02:41:52 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2013, 12:48:15 PM
Given that this thread has gotten to 151 pages, that should give you the answer.

Not really.  Could just be 151 pages of Berkut arguing with somebody.
:XD: Some of the pages in the middle are just that.  But, hey, the download is free.  You can even play the game for free, although if you really get into it, it's going to cost you.

Jaron

It is a fun diversion. Some of the mechanics can be a little frustrating at first, and you definitely have to find your style of play. I enjoyed artillery the most. Hmm, maybe I should redownload and hang out with katmai. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2013, 11:26:34 AM

Since the game is free to dl'd and try out, sure give it a go.
The tanks fall into 5 Categories (Tank Destroyers, SPG, Light, Medium, Heavy tanks).
there are also 10 tiers of tanks so neigh impossible for Tiers 1-3 to be facing Tier 7-10 (that can happen if you platoon with a friend who is higher lvl in which case you will die quickly)
Light Tanks only go up to tier 8 iirc, they have been adding higher lvl ones in patches

The tanks also span from pre WWII at tier I  all the way to Early 60's at Tier X.
You can choose to research tanks from USSR, Germany, USA, UK, France and just this week they introduced a Chinese tech tree.

Jaron

French tanks suck. I hate them.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Quote from: Jaron on January 19, 2013, 05:14:56 PM
French tanks suck. I hate them.

Since i came back i was questioning why i was playing my tier VII AMX 13 75, as was just getting unlucky with MM and getting my ass handed to me.
Till my last game where still against Tier IX's, but played a light to perfection, killed OF scout, and two of the three enemy Arty.

frunk

If you are hoping for realism as far as the tanks in play forget about it.  Most of the people will be running around in tanks that didn't even have a prototype made.  As far as the physics it's pretty good, although any hitpoint model for damage isn't going to be that realistic.  Still, the actual penetration/location of hits is modeled well.  The other major elements of wonkiness are in the spotting system and the range of engagements (extremely close by actual tank combat expectations), but it works.

The tiering system makes sure you will face opponents that you could at least theoretically defeat (or annoy if you are a light).  There's also plenty of variety in types of tanks you can play, although for most types there's a single best/obvious setup once you research all the modules.

katmai

I'm liking the Matilda.

C.C.R.

Quote from: katmai on January 19, 2013, 06:25:07 PM
I'm liking the Matilda.

Hated the Matilda for the first 75% of the games I played in it, but once I "got it" it was kind of fun.

The Churchill I, on the other hand, licks hairy sack.  To the point that I don't even have it in me to get a Churchill VII.  That crew just sits around my barracks having tea & scones & shit...