News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2012, 10:09:08 AM
The main reason for keeping your elite tanks (at least those you enjoy playing): the XP you earn with them converts to Free XP.
Yes, but at a very high and impractical cost.

miozozny

Quote from: DGuller on November 05, 2012, 10:31:42 AM
The main reason for keeping your elite tanks (at least those you enjoy playing): the XP you earn with them converts to Free XP.

Only if you think playing a tank you enjoy playing is a high cost...

Malicious Intent

Quote from: miozozny on November 05, 2012, 12:04:27 PM

What DGuller meant is: You have to spend real money to convert XP stored on a elited vehicle into free XP. Otherwise the XP stays on the vehicle and is useless, since there is nothing left to research.

Example: You have elited your Leichttraktor, so there is no research left. Since you just love that tank so much, you continue to play. Next battle earns you 1000 XP that are bound to the Leichttraktor. You also get 50 Free XP (once again: You ALWAYS get 5% of earned XP as bonus free XP, regardless of elite status or not). To turn the 1000 XP into fee XP, you have to pay 1000/25=40 Gold.

This is simply not very economic, since 1000 free XP is pretty much nothing.  To research the 12,8 cm on the Ferdinand costs 63000 xp. To get that much free XP just by conversion costs. 2520 Gold. For me that would be 10 Euro. For one single module on a tier 8 TD.

C.C.R.

LOL, about went ballistic on my dumbass, dead teammates.  Tier V standard match on Erlenberg, driving my KV-1.  I get my first 4 kills because I basically got left holding the bag in the valley by myself, but I clear it, swing around & pick up my 5th kill shooting an M4 in the ass.  I move in towards the river, and in some goofy ass melee it works out where it's my KV-1 (at about 80%) left against the two enemy Tier III arties -- basically a Wet Dream scenario.  There's about 7 1/2 minutes left in the match, so I hole up between a couple of buildings close to my base because, well, if *I* were one of the two arties I would go for the cap.  That's the way I roll.

But my teammates are fucking screaming at me to go cap.  Because, like, it's apparently a brilliant idea to go 1 against 2 with all sorts of time left on the clock & let the enemy know *exactly* where I am at.  I'm arguing with them back & forth for awhile.  My original plan was to sit tight until 3 minutes left before I went hunting, but they were pissing me off, so I wait until 2 minutes left.  Cross the bridge, there's one arty right there - BAM.  Top Gun.  Incoming round splash damages me, so I know that the other one has an idea where I was, so I go cruising around the cap waiting to see if I can get him to stick his nose out.  Nothing.  All the while my (dead, dumbass) teammates are screaming about how it's too late to cap, yada yada yada.  So, I go hit the cap in order to flush the last arty.  He hits me, but that just lets me know what direction he's in, so I head off that way, find him, kill him with about 45 seconds left on the clock for my 7th kill.

I think the funniest thing about this is that one of my (dead, dumbass) teammates is going on & on about how he has 12k+ games & knows what he's talking about, but

A:  he's dead, and
B:  wtf is he doing sticking around to watch the end of a Tier V match?

Or something.  Maybe I'm the (not dead) dumbass, that somehow lucked into a 7-kill Top Gun, Steel Wall, Reaper AND the match that gave me the Ace Tanker Badge for the KV-1.  I dunno.  Just had to vent a bit...

:ccr

DGuller

Seems dumb to leave yourself with no time to cap.  You could've snatched the draw from the jaws of victory if one of those arties went into hiding instead.  I gotta side with your teammates.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Malicious Intent on November 05, 2012, 01:37:33 PM
Quote from: miozozny on November 05, 2012, 12:04:27 PM

What DGuller meant is: You have to spend real money to convert XP stored on a elited vehicle into free XP. Otherwise the XP stays on the vehicle and is useless, since there is nothing left to research.

Example: You have elited your Leichttraktor, so there is no research left. Since you just love that tank so much, you continue to play. Next battle earns you 1000 XP that are bound to the Leichttraktor. You also get 50 Free XP (once again: You ALWAYS get 5% of earned XP as bonus free XP, regardless of elite status or not). To turn the 1000 XP into fee XP, you have to pay 1000/25=40 Gold.

This is simply not very economic, since 1000 free XP is pretty much nothing.  To research the 12,8 cm on the Ferdinand costs 63000 xp. To get that much free XP just by conversion costs. 2520 Gold. For me that would be 10 Euro. For one single module on a tier 8 TD.

you can set the xp to help crewtraining

Strix

So, what does a Premium account get you? Other than extra credits/xp?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

DGuller

Quote from: Strix on November 09, 2012, 04:23:41 PM
That's what it gets you, and that's a lot if you want to move up from loltraktors in this lifetime.

Arvoreen

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2012, 04:37:16 PM
Quote from: Strix on November 09, 2012, 04:23:41 PM
That's what it gets you, and that's a lot if you want to move up from loltraktors in this lifetime.

I resisted for a long time....and it took me MONTHS to get beyond tier VI.  Once I broke down and got a premium account, it helped tremendously.

frunk

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2012, 04:37:16 PM

You can get to tier 5/6 fairly quickly.  Tier 7 will take a while, tier 8 even longer, don't even think about tier 9 or 10 without premium.  Even if you do get to them the cost to play will be prohibitive (probably 4-5 matches in tier 5-6 to pay for the costs of each tier 9 loss).

Bluebook

Is there any way to switch between the US and Euro server?

DGuller

Quote from: Bluebook on November 11, 2012, 04:58:13 AM
Is there any way to switch between the US and Euro server?
Not that I know of.

Strix

Great game so far, at least until I reached the M3...WTF were they thinking when they designed that.

EDIT: M3 Lee
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

frunk

Tricks for play WoT non-premium:

Most of these can be applied to premium as well, it's just less critical.

1.  If you buy a tank, play it until it is elite or at least all following tanks are researched.  You don't want to sell and then rebuy a tank, or even worse spend precious, precious free XP.
2.  Don't spend free XP to research a tank unless it needs less than 100.  Only use free XP to research modules.  You want to minimize the stock grind as best you can.
3.  Work the daily doubles.  Play each tank until it gets a win.  Only go back to a tank that has won when you've finished your daily doubles and you still feel like playing.
4.  Play with 50% crew until tier 5 or 6 (or tier 3 or 4 in Arty).
5.  Research priority is generally gun/engine/turret/suspension/radio.  Significant exceptions are when the gun requires a turret, module weight requires better suspension, the stock engine is horrible and the stock gun isn't so bad or you are a scout and a decent radio is more important than shooting things.
6.  When short on cash check your depot for unsold components that you won't need.
7.  Removable equipment is a good investment.
8.  Don't bother with consumables until around tier 6 or 7, except for the Removed Speed Governor for the Soviet line.
9.  When you find a tank you really like, keep it if you have the space.

Berkut

Defeat
Battle: Fjords Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:18:14 PM
Vehicle: T34
Experience received: 1,285
Credits received: 109,783
Battle Achievements: Radley-Walters's medal, Top Gun

19 shots fired, 17 hits, 17 penetrations for 4,597 damage.

Killed 8 enemy vehicles.

I think if i kill eight of them, the other 14 members of my team really ought to be able to handle the other 7.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned